Eating a Wolf

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I can’t imagine you missed much.

I shot a wolf in the last season Minnesota had back in 2014. After the DNR was done taking pieces of it for their wolf study, we put the rest out on our land for the scavengers. The next summer there was absolutely nothing left. Not even a random bone.

I put this wolf in a spot that is remote, yet I can check easily. It might already be gone, just 24 hours later. I don't know if wolves eat their own, but there are plenty of other predators that will gladly eat their fill. When a shot like this is taken, the stories come out. Apparently there are some large packs operating in this area. A group of 11 or 12 Elk were slaughtered not to long ago. The Wolves killed and ate them down to the bone in a short time.

I've tanned a few whitetail hides, a racoon, and a fox when I was younger w various results. I still have some of them 30 yrs. later. It is a long time/effort endeavor to make a quality pelt and should be expensive to have someone do it right. It took my novice azz about a week to wash the castor off my hands after working on a huge, road kill beaver hide. No amount of soap or vinegar or alcohol could get that stank off my hands. The beaver pelt kept the hair just fine, but the stank of the hide/castor I tried to wash out of the fur when I tanned it made my wife remove that hide and take it to the dump after a few years.

Sell it to the Chinese. They buy all coyotes around me after the Hyde is taken off. They must eat something off them. Probaly why you get some pieces of seasome chicken that is so chewy. Not kidding though. They really buy any coyote fox or coydog you shoot.

Laugh, some thing like 90 billion people see nothing wrong with eatting dog.

Back straps are good on the grill as are the hind quarters, the rest are cut up in chunks and make great stew meat and you can also grind it into burgers.

:D Al

I've been told there's something iffy about eating apex predators...who knows. But people eat shark and crocodile, so...

I think the caution factor comes to play that these are not just apex predators....they’re scavenging opportunists.... n likely to eat almost anything in an effort to survive rancid or not. We are what we eat. It makes up our cells n proteins. U don’t eat seagulls that live next to the dumpster at McDonald’s. Or rats crawling thru NYC sewers. A farmed wolve probably delicious having been fed an exquisite diet regime.

Some people would eat a turd just to say they did !

Sadly that is too true. I immediately thought of this story. Good looking kid, destroyed for eating a slug on a dare.

3c61f554332d36dc4af2918e55613de2

eb954a93203378abffa252b7ffa9bab9

https://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/h...s/news-story/08b0e700a8d6d6c6709d2dd92dfeaa8f

Man, I would love to see what your area looks like. It sounds like you have a wide variety of game and predators. Here in Ohio, we get coyotes and raccoons. Nothing too exciting.
My part of Ohio there's bobcats and bears also. DNR denies bears living here but in 2019 2 of them were killed by cars on I-77 in Akron. Yet dnr still says they aren't here. I guess if they acknowledge that bears live here they have to write a policy on them.

My part of Ohio there's bobcats and bears also. DNR denies bears living here but in 2019 2 of them were killed by cars on I-77 in Akron. Yet dnr still says they aren't here. I guess if they acknowledge that bears live here they have to write a policy on them.
As crazy as it sounds, bears do hop freight trains, usually empty grain cars and jump off at some unusual places.

Probably the only thing you would have had to worry about was getting trichinosis, just like the precautions you take eating bear or wild hogs. I'd imagine most of it would have needed a pressure cooking/crockpot being a predator athlete but you won't know until you try the next one!

Had two coyotes here the other morning, my dog chased them away. They had my wife screaming after my dog like a crazy women. The other houses are too close to shoot.

on tv news last nite... somewhere... 2 coyotes cornering a cat... dinner. cat would have none of that! lol and... 'boing!' up the tree went the cat. chow call ended...

Back