Would you run this cylinder?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tyyota

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I picked up this MS390 as a box of parts. Looks like a bearing came apart and took a trip around the engine. It’s beat up, but the cylinder walls look clean. Should I try this out?
EF2B5C84-EFBF-4E00-BAE5-9D4E161A0C79.jpeg A67E6225-48CD-47F2-95DB-E8DE42A1D4F3.jpeg A91F5A47-F143-4939-831A-5716E8B878A2.jpeg

If the cylinder plating wasn’t dented and looks to be clean and the edges of the cylinder bore isn’t burred up. Your saw dodged a bullet on this one. I would make sure there’s no metal shrapnel stuck in those shot penned marks. You might take a chisel and by hand scrape over those marks checking for loose imbedded material.

I might put alittle time but no money in it.
I cant really tel from the pics but it could be junk

It's a small wonder if the plating didn't also took a hit.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G955F met Tapatalk

I'm surprised exhaust port edges didnt get trashed. It's the rough edges I'd worry about along the ports, something that will mar a new pistol or ring. Leave the dimples top and bottom. They won't hurt anything.

I'd get an FleeBay special, full engine to get it up and running and take this as a porting project. Who opens these clamshells up? Or makes them breath??
I find the 039/390 to be a very capable saw.

IF the plating, port champhers, etc are unharmed why not? Depending on the way the material was displaced in the dome you could have squish issues but more than likely it will clear just fine.

Latest posts

Back