I Think I May Have an Addiction

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

C2DJ

Reaction score
This is my first post, I have been reading for a while. I mostly cut fallen oaks for firewood on a Texas ranch where I help a friend. I started with a Makita DCS 540 that I bough 10+ years ago for $50. On Black Friday I bought my first Stihl, a MS250. Since then, I have picked up several used saws, mostly super cheap, a MS461, another 250, a 193t, and the rancher gave me 2 Echo CS-310's (that I got running and sold) and I recently picked up a 357XP for $100. The 461 has more power than I will ever need and the smaller saws take care of the smaller jobs just fine. I have ZERO need for a custom saw but reading about ported/big bore 357's has caught my attention. From the SN I believe my saw is a 2005 with auto decompression. What kind of $$ would I be looking at for a new ported & polished top end and muffler mod, and who can do it? Thanks for the wealth of information!

First, welcome to the site. Next, stay away from aftermarket parts for a nice saw like that. Your OEM piston and cylinder will out perform any of the 47mm "big bore" stuff. Provided you have a good running complete saw that needs little or nothing, you're looking at $200-$300 to have it woods ported, but be careful. Find a reputable builder. If a fella is beating his chest and touting his wares all over looking for work there's probably a reason. Personally I think @huskihl does great woods porting.

The most satisfying mods are the ones you do yourself. That saw will run much better without the base gasket, a muffler mod, and timing advance. Whatever you do make sure it has a metal intake clamp and get rid of the auto decomp system. Both are well known sources of air leaks. Good luck and have fun!

First, welcome to the site. Next, stay away from aftermarket parts for a nice saw like that. Your OEM piston and cylinder will out perform any of the 47mm "big bore" stuff. Provided you have a good running complete saw that needs little or nothing, you're looking at $200-$300 to have it woods ported, but be careful. Find a reputable builder. If a fella is beating his chest and touting his wares all over looking for work there's probably a reason. Personally I think @huskihl does great woods porting.

The most satisfying mods are the ones you do yourself. That saw will run much better without the base gasket, a muffler mod, and timing advance. Whatever you do make sure it has a metal intake clamp and get rid of the auto decomp system. Both are well known sources of air leaks. Good luck and have fun!
What he said!
357xp is a damn good saw!

If you do nothing to the saw, get rid of that auto-decompression. You can do it yourself with plugs, or Husqvarna makes delete kit for it. Those caused a lot of problems.

Many times I have said, there but by the grace of God go I. This was a liked member in the chainsaw community. He made a wrong turn and couldn’t find his way back. He lost every thing he cherished. I see no grace in dragging him before a new member.

Really? I have 3, and only meant to own 2. A wrong turn is 4 or 5, 500 to 600 is a serious sickness. By the way the guy is last reported in jail, and not for owning to may saws.

A wrong turn is 4 or 5, 500 to 600 is a serious sickness. By the way the guy is last reported in jail

3mpe4q.jpg

Back