Firewooder’s Motivation Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
During the storms Halloween night.

Yep, had the top of a big oak fall within mere feet of my house that same evening. A limb shot a hole through my garage door upon impact. Took down the remaining standing totem pole yesterday. I'm surprised we didn't suffer anything worse, perhaps because most of the foliage was gone by then...

Thanks for the motivation boys! I’ve hit a few hauls from your help on this thread.

Old man winter has also been kind to us here in Ohio this year to this point. We have finally got sub twenties temps for only the second time this year. My young boys were off with Mom so I cajoled my 15 year old daughter to reload the indoor stash this afternoon. She couldn’t pull the sticks off the frozen stack so I showed her how to take a a loose one and pound the stack free. She kind of jokingly said “You’re an expert Dad!”. I kinda feel like I’ve failed her. She’s a really great kid that gets good grades and does anything I ask of her, but I had to tell her I’ve known that since I was 8 years old! Lol. She did haul 3 loads with me with no complaints so all good. I’m enjoying the “free heat” and bonding time we had in this subzero windchill weather. Better than staring at a screen which is what most kids do this day!

Ya it's hard to get them away from all the electronics. My grandson helps me all the time. It's good to get them engaged in the real world.

When you say old it's all relative. I'm 62 and while it takes longer I still manage . This year I'm at or around 14 cords. Cut and split. Another 8 or so still needs to be bucked and split

Yea I rode by my wood pile and thought should get going on some wood. Logs sitting waiting, but, pushed snow instead. And the high for today was 4 degrees. Might wait for a warmer day....and my buddy that helps has flu.

It snowed Saturday and I wasnt feeling good but I got out there and cut several ash trees because it needs to be done. I slipped on the ice carrying a 10ft log 8" in dia and almost broke my leg. I've been hand cutting these ash trees but finally I fired up a saw and started cutting again. The trees motivate me and at the same time overwhelm me to the point I dont want to address the issue. The poison ivy growing on them doesnt help.

I picked a fight in the bush a few times and back hauled 4-5c to go to the pile, along with all odds and ends to be burned off right away. I find taking scraps that most would just leave to rot, really cuts down on my piled wood usage.

Sadly the pics or on my other phone as I am in the boondocks for work, pirating wifi .... ha ha ... all because of this ....

8B049272-5352-4C6B-8328-7E79742BB291.jpeg
Keep on .... Runnin’ Load’s !!

New break through for me tonight gentlemen!

I started heating with wood 12+ years ago to save a few bucks and also give me a hobby to do during the winter time instead of sit around all winter staring out the window watching tv.

As a kid my Dad dragged me and my brothers to the woods on a cold Saturday morning and I always groaned at first but had great days and memories from it. Aside from the poorly insulated too small rubber boots with wonder bread bags and two layers of socks it was great stuff! Lol.

After a few years of burning, and this forum Arboristsite, (you guys!), I found a local guy/family friend/ farmer that was willing to sell me a 13 acre wood lot. I’m not a rich man. But I did it. With your help too. There are posts somewhere in there.

I’ve enjoyed it immensely but only mostly by myself. My great wife ok’ed the purchase and she enjoys the heat and fruits of my labor with the heat. My kids have enjoyed the woods too for fun time and a little pitching in as well but tonight...

Tonight my 12 year old son suggested to drive my gator to the woods 4 miles away as I drive my truck behind him. He’s had yard gator training for years but I think he’s finally roadworthy! Seems like no big deal to u guys but I’ve been driving the gator solo with no truck option for years and his suggestion just tripled my take home output!

Plus my boy is in!!!

We’re runnin’ some loads tomorrow!

Quick edit:
Here’s an old pic of said boy with my early gator trying to probably figure out the dump bed to bury his younger brother. Who I’m grooming to be my next woodcutter. Lol
16B55D72-04A6-487E-B016-7237E684857B.jpeg

2EB4CA9D-FB81-4C14-9DDA-B4B55F715580.jpeg FYI that the 12 year old boy’s plan worked well! We had a a full truck load of blown down ash wood and a full gator load of the base rounds of it too. A good day. Forgot to take more pics but I took this one at promised campfire break time with my 7 old helper. I’ve never worked less getting that much wood home and had that much fun doing it. These kids are finally paying back! Lol.

Latest posts

Back