Husqvarna 61 mind blown

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm gonna say it's the coil,I'm fighting with a redmax GZ500 (husqvarna 450) that has the exact same symptoms as this one. Passes all pressure and vacuum tests, 150 compression and a brand new oem carburetor. Waiting on a new OEM coil. I'm thinking the coil has gotten weak and compression is blowing out weak spark.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

I'm gonna say it's the coil,I'm fighting with a redmax GZ500 (husqvarna 450) that has the exact same symptoms as this one. Passes all pressure and vacuum tests, 150 compression and a brand new oem carburetor. Waiting on a new OEM coil. I'm thinking the coil has gotten weak and compression is blowing out weak spark.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

I’m with you on this… I don’t know what else it could be. Ordered the coil today

I have spark,
I have fuel.
I have 130lbs compression with just 3 pulls.
I have gapped and I regapped and regapped the coil/flywheel...
Mind you, I have good blue spark when I put the plug in the boot and ground it on the cylinder head.

Put the plug back in and try to start it I get nothing. I have tried 3 brand new plugs.

Go ahead...

Understand that you said you have compression @130 psi. However, and I may have missed that you said you did...Have you pulled the muffler, and can you push on the ring and move/compress it in the groove, with say, a small screwdriver?
I’ve had 3 huskys recently (2-455 Ranchers and a 445) that have done the same thing. Would not start. All 3 had the ring seized into the ring groove. The last one had good compression as well. They all looked good on a visual thru the exhaust port with no scoring, but the culprit wasn’t revealed until the cylinder was removed...

I've seen a cracked spark plug wire do this. With the plug out the spark gas resistance was lower than arcing through the insulation on the wire so everything looked fine. Once you screw the plug in and it tries to fire under compression it would arc through the crack in the insulation. What finally clicked in figuring it out was trying to start the thing up in the dark with all the shrouds off, you could see a faint flash between the wire and the cylinder when you'd crank it over.

Just my .02 cents but on my 5000 Partners 130# of compression would not start the saws even 150 is iffy/ probably ok but still... I have no idea what the comp should be on your saw but 130 sounds very low to me but wth do I know.
However my cousin had me rebuild an 029 Stihl for him about 3 years ago , now I cant remember his comp number but I do remember it being way lower than I had expected it to be being brand new. You may disregard all my nonsense if you check and find you comp is just fine at 130,... but thought I would mention it. Hope you get it figured out, Jeff

seized ring? idk brother....spark, gas, compression; saw should start and run. seized ring would not prevent a saw from running if all other factors are present. cracked plug wire? possible...heck, maybe probable, but it looks great. vac & pressure test is fine. as far as 130# of compression being low? i've seen and had saws run on less. maybe not run well, and not develop the power they should have, but run.

husky 61's are notorious for bad coils, especially after 30 years. i'll let you know when it's changed

Understand that you said you have compression @130 psi. However, and I may have missed that you said you did...Have you pulled the muffler, and can you push on the ring and move/compress it in the groove, with say, a small screwdriver?
I’ve had 3 huskys recently (2-455 Ranchers and a 445) that have done the same thing. Would not start. All 3 had the ring seized into the ring groove. The last one had good compression as well. They all looked good on a visual thru the exhaust port with no scoring, but the culprit wasn’t revealed until the cylinder was removed...

Excellent advice, the first thing I do when I pull the muffler is is check for scoring, then I take a little carb screwdriver and check the rings to see if they compress.

seized ring? idk brother....spark, gas, compression; saw should start and run. seized ring would not prevent a saw from running if all other factors are present. cracked plug wire? possible...heck, maybe probable, but it looks great. vac & pressure test is fine. as far as 130# of compression being low? i've seen and had saws run on less. maybe not run well, and not develop the power they should have, but run.

husky 61's are notorious for bad coils, especially after 30 years. i'll let you know when it's changed
He said 130 but did he pull it over till it stopped rising or stop pulling at a number of pulls?

Everett, You working with a good dude there in lone wolf. Be patient and listen to what he says. I gotta ask you a simple one. Has your starter rope been shortened over the years? I know you said this is your dad's saw. Do you have 31-34" of rope when full pulled. If your down to only 24 or so you need a new rope to help start. Especially on a lower compression saw. Just advice buddy. Tim

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

To the end of doing a proper accurate compression test so I can help you trouble shoot . 130 is not good compression BTW.

To the end of doing a proper accurate compression test so I can help you trouble shoot . 130 is not good compression BTW.

130 lbs after 3-4 pulls isn’t bad. My point is a saw with a minimum of 130lbs, spark at the plug, and gas going thru the carb should start and run. The point isn’t really arguable. Like I said earlier, the coils on these saws are notoriously bad/finicky. It’s the most obvious weak point in the very simple equation of a saw running. Compression, Fuel, Spark. It has the first two, as well as spark when the plugs OUT. It would suggest to me that the compression it does have is blowing out the weak spark produced by the old coil once the plug is back in the head.

I just tested the compression. It stops rising on the gauge at 155-60 after 7/8 pulls. Weak compression is most definitely NOT an issue as I suspected.

Everett, You working with a good dude there in lone wolf. Be patient and listen to what he says. I gotta ask you a simple one. Has your starter rope been shortened over the years? I know you said this is your dad's saw. Do you have 31-34" of rope when full pulled. If your down to only 24 or so you need a new rope to help start. Especially on a lower compression saw. Just advice buddy. Tim

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

Starter rope has not been shortened

Back