Post hole digger

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lionsfan

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I'm putting up a fence in the spring and considering renting or purchasing a one-man earth auger. I've always used the mechanical ones in the past, but time is a factor and I'm looking for a faster option. Any suggestions?

Yes, depending on how big the holes are,pay someone who has a tractor with auger or a skid steer with auger.
I wouldn't waste time or money on a hand held.
Lots of rock here,put in some gate posts last weekend, PTO auger on tractor,done in less than 10 minutes for 4,3' deep,12" diameter.
Skid steer is reversible, tractor PTO is not.

Not my area of expertise. But I rented one of these a couple of months: https://www.stihlusa.com/products/augers-and-drills/earth-auger/bt131/ to do a few holes at my parents' and was underwhelmed. It really bogged down in modestly rocky clay. It wasn't easy to use either...wouldn't want to do a full fence with it.

Several years ago, I helped a friend who rented something like this: https://www.lewiscontractorsales.co...7BQGuKMl0ojCLEp86jmCVQS5Cld1DhiMaAoXfEALw_wcB and it was (best memory serves) much, much better.

But tractor or skid steer sounds like a better idea yet I can rent that for well less than half the purchase cost of the Stihl auger...so if you are thinking purchasing, I'd rent a small skid steer or tractor instead.

Don't remember the Brand or size of the gas post hole digger I bought to put up a chain link fence but had no problem drilling a bunch of holes. Used it one time then loaned it to my brother about 2 years ago because he has lots of fence work to do around the farm. He has a Tractor post hole digger but most time he uses the gas post hole digger because it is more convenient. Don't know about the others but it works best with 2 on it but one can do it but it will get away from you if you push it and it don't stall, maybe spin your butt around. I'll ask him what brand it is and how big it is and report back. It's best to drill and pull it in and out of the hole so it clears the dirt as you go.

No way you're getting me to run a hand operated one. Looks like an easy way to get injured. I've rented the one on a dingo from our local hardware store. Digging 15" holes 4.5' deep took just a couple minutes each. Very capable machine. Various auger sizes too.

I never had a problem with it kicking back although I guess it could if you kept pushing it. Most of the time just its weight will dig. If it starts to bind all you have to do is lift up a little and then drop it back down. I let it dig a little then lift it up some and let it clear the dirt then drop it back down. It sure beats the heck out of Post Hole diggers. I got some red clay and it's almost impossible to dig with Post Hole diggers. Digging it is like digging in concrete when dry, when I used common Post Hole diggers I would have to pour water down the hole, dig a little and repeat till I got the hole dug. I also use the digger to put 16 foot post up to put my cellular game cameras on. This way they are out of reach so nobody can mess with them.

Here's two Boys waiting on the feeder!
ar1.jpg

Daddy has arrived, all you kiddies better shape up!

ar3.jpg

Either rent or hire somebody with a tractor/escavator and an auger.

Handheld augers are the kind of stuff you use once in a while and buying makes literally no sense. Nurseries tend to use small tracked escavators (1/2 ton class) with an auger extensions: it tells you all you need to know.

Either rent or hire somebody with a tractor/escavator and an auger.

Handheld augers are the kind of stuff you use once in a while and buying makes literally no sense. Nurseries tend to use small tracked escavators (1/2 ton class) with an auger extensions: it tells you all you need to know.

That's like saying you only use your deer rifle once or twice a year, so there's no sense owning it.

That little beaver is more what I had on mind to rent. The crew that built my pole barn had one like that, but it was a two-man. Really curious how well the one-man auger does. If I forgot to mention it, it's pure sand at my place, no clay, no rocks, very little sod.

Then I'd consider using the one man. I paid $25 to rent if for a few hours (don't remember if it was 2 or 4...). Certainly worth trying then keep it for a full day if needed or return it of it is not gonna work.

@ATpro said he uses the weight of the machine to help...that little one man I used doesn't have much weight to use!

If I am doing a few holes I use a 2-handle post hole digger. When I am doing more than what I want to do by hand I put the auger on my tractor. If I did not own the tractor and auger I would rent. I cannot envision any circumstances in which I would choose to use a one-person hand held powered auger. Although seeing that you are in Michigan perhaps it would be nice to own one for times you want to go ice fishing.

I've been running the Echo EA-410 for a bit, it's light and makes good torque.

It runs a 6" & 8" bit with an 18" extension to go 4' down.

I'm sure it'll do a 10" or 12", but I haven't had a need for one of those yet, so I can't say for certain.

Mad3400

I'm putting up a fence in the spring and considering renting or purchasing a one-man earth auger. I've always used the mechanical ones in the past, but time is a factor and I'm looking for a faster option. Any suggestions?
You can buy one at tractor supply to fit a 3 point hitch tractor. They come in handy. I planted 85 big pecan trees with mine.

You can buy one at tractor supply to fit a 3 point hitch tractor. They come in handy. I planted 85 big pecan trees with mine.
This post was 4 years ago bud! The covid shutdown came just about the same time the ground thawed, so I took a week off work and punched them in by hand.

This post was 4 years ago bud! The covid shutdown came just about the same time the ground thawed, so I took a week off work and punched them in by hand.
Thats what I hate about that. It popped up under what’s new. I always click that first thing.

Unless you are only doing a one-time use, I'd buy this:
https://www.harborfreight.com/gas-powered-earth-auger-57341.html
I bought one, having borrowed and rented other units of the same make. They start well and they are easy to hold or carry around.

By the time you pay $75/day for renting one, you are well positioned to pay for it in rental fees. Three days of rental, and you have paid for it.

It probably doubles as an ice auger, but I've not tested how well it starts at -10°F

Back