Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It’s going to be brisk tonight but check out the ten day forecast!! Very mild for this time of year.

View attachment 790195

Edit and no snow expected!!!

Looks to be a wood cutting weekend for sure, and I need to refill may pallets that I set by the boiler.

Screenshot 2020-01-20 at 5.35.19 PM.png

Got into some of the big oak at the school this weekend, was fun putting the new-to-me Dolmar from @Logger nate to the test!

49450ad8d6dafb3e05cc11d174714881.jpg

Ran the new chain into the dirt the day before, so was definitely cutting tentative, extra careful not to do it again! Pretty new to bucking bigger logs (so feedback welcome) but no pinched bars or dirted chains or Injuries, so I’d call it a success overall [emoji16]

I only use my faceshield when facing north lol

Then tried out the woodchuck peavey to clear this spot out for parents to park this week.

Gonna be 18 tonight, finally some actual cold (for here anyway)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well went skiing out on the lake yesterday, quite a few people out ice fishing. I realized we’ve lived here 12 years and never went ice fishing, we live about 100 yds from the lake....:omg:
145EB158-7EAF-4025-A819-E14BA5059F76.jpeg Our house is just inside trees, far right. Bought a hand crank ice auger first year we were here, never have used it. Using chainsaw sounds better :chainsaw:
Actually cutting the dead tree in the picture sounds better than cutting ice to go fishing.. guess I’m not a very good fisherman :oops:

Any of you guys ever used the timberline chain sharpener?

Attachments

• 2C250CE0-1661-4C5C-B7F8-790AFB2FDBBA.jpeg
    2C250CE0-1661-4C5C-B7F8-790AFB2FDBBA.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 25
Got into some of the big oak at the school this weekend, was fun putting the new-to-me Dolmar from @Logger nate to the test!

49450ad8d6dafb3e05cc11d174714881.jpg

Ran the new chain into the dirt the day before, so was definitely cutting tentative, extra careful not to do it again! Pretty new to bucking bigger logs (so feedback welcome) but no pinched bars or dirted chains or Injuries, so I’d call it a success overall [emoji16]

I only use my faceshield when facing north lol

Then tried out the woodchuck peavey to clear this spot out for parents to park this week.

Gonna be 18 tonight, finally some actual cold (for here anyway)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Guess I was posting same time you were, except your faster, lol. Looks great! Looks like good feed for the hyper dolly to chew on:chainsaw:

Big thread on it.

Tried it a little. Seems like it could be OK to maintain cutting edges, if you were happy with one of the fixed angles available.

https://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/new-chain-sharpener.180488/

Philbert
Thanks. I mostly use my square chisel grinder and just take extra chains but I have a few round filed chains for dirty conditions and mostly use a hand held 12 volt grinder for them but was looking for something to use right where I’m at instead of going back to the pickup.

Thanks. I mostly use my square chisel grinder and just take extra chains but I have a few round filed chains for dirty conditions and mostly use a hand held 12 volt grinder for them but was looking for something to use right where I’m at instead of going back to the pickup.
You might like the STIHL / Pferd 2-In-1 file guides and a stump vise.

Or, if you like the rotary grinder, maybe one of the cordless ones? Available on Amazon, Home Depot, etc., for less than the Timberline. These use the smooth shaft stones, but might accept the threaded ones, if that is what you use.
Dremel 8220-1/28 12-Volt Max Cordless Rotary Tool Kit
Dremel A679-02 Attachment Kit
Screen shot 2020-01-20 at 9.55.37 PM.png

Philbert

Or, if you like the rotary grinder, maybe one of the cordless ones? Available on Amazon, Home Depot, etc., for less than the Timberline. These use the smooth shaft stones, but might accept the threaded ones, if that is what you use.
View attachment 790426

Philbert

Philbert I just got that dremel kit to try out recently, it was $13 so figured worth a shot. have only sharpened one chain so far, it seemed to do a good job, although if just touching up a chain don't know if it's a ton faster than hand filing, cuase you still gotta be careful with your angles and not nick your cutting edges...

I have been using the Pfred 2-in-1's for the past year, just recently switched to trying hand filing without a guide (using the husky depth guage for rakers), and honestly even though I'm not that experienced I think I'm getting better results that way: more consistent angles and proper raker height. with the 2-in-1 you have to be careful not to push down to hard or you'll bend the rails and take too much raker or hook too deep in the tooth. with just a hand file I can see and feel what i'm doing better. It is slow though...I guess I need to work on my 2in1 techinque some more, everybody seems to love them :p

Any of you guys ever used the timberline chain sharpener?
Don't bother.
It is basically a hone. If you need sharpening use a good file.
It cuts, or rubs, everything to a set depth. The depth adjustment is very fine or rather the cutting is very fine. To take any amount (like three strokes with a file) I had to go around the loop like three times. That's a lot of cranking and wasted time. And even then it gave unimpressive results. I gave mine away to someone on here a few years ago and they were to reimburse me for shipping. Didn't happen. At least I don't have to look at it sitting on my shelf taking up space.
Every tooth doesn't have to be exactly the same. It just has to be sharp.
I use a Stihl 2-1 file system. Love it.

Well after much work I got the snowmobile trail re-opened up to the blow downs. Luckily they are at the top of a high hill so there’s almost no snow up there.

I approached the hill from the back side which is more gradual except for the spot right before the top. As I figured there was almost no new powder on the super steep spot and I made the final approach in one run.

Further down the hill I measured 52 inches of powder in one spot. I’ve never seen this much snow in the woods in my life.

Called it a night when I got the snowmobile stuck right at the driveway. Pulled it out with the truck cause I was already pretty beat.
2959D85E-2B6E-4A72-83DF-4DA36056F337.jpeg

Closest I get to scrounging lately. Oh well makes kindling. The painted stuff saved me a trip to town for 1 more 2x4. Front part of a side rack. Don't know how many times I've not scavenged it but its in the wall now!

img20200120_221137.jpg

The yardstick is part of the wallpaper arsenal. Learned I should have paid more attention when grandma was trying to school me on it.

img20200117_191734.jpg

Philbert I just got that dremel kit to try out recently, . . . I have been using the Pfred 2-in-1's for the past year, just recently switched to trying hand filing without a guide . . .
Lots of ways to sharpen; everyone has to find something that works for them!

My personal preference is an Oregon 511A type grinder at home, bring extra chains, and use a basic file guide and stump vise (or bore cut into a stump, or cut a slot into a log) in the field for touch ups. Just requires a little effort to 'grind as I file, and file as I grind' when going back and forth. I really like the Granberg type file guides, but for me, they are more of a shop tool. Sharp files, and a non-moving chain, make a big difference.

IMG_0272.jpg
IMG_2675.jpg

I mentioned the cordless Dremel since you seemed happy with them, except for the walk!

Philbert

View attachment 790426

Philbert

Don't bother.
It is basically a hone. If you need sharpening use a good file.
It cuts, or rubs, everything to a set depth. The depth adjustment is very fine or rather the cutting is very fine. To take any amount (like three strokes with a file) I had to go around the loop like three times. That's a lot of cranking and wasted time. And even then it gave unimpressive results. I gave mine away to someone on here a few years ago and they were to reimburse me for shipping. Didn't happen. At least I don't have to look at it sitting on my shelf taking up space.
Every tooth doesn't have to be exactly the same. It just has to be sharp.
I use a Stihl 2-1 file system. Love it.
Thank you!! Was actually looking at the 2-1 file systems too.

Well after much work I got the snowmobile trail re-opened up to the blow downs. Luckily they are at the top of a high hill so there’s almost no snow up there.

I approached the hill from the back side which is more gradual except for the spot right before the top. As I figured there was almost no new powder on the super steep spot and I made the final approach in one run.

Further down the hill I measured 52 inches of powder in one spot. I’ve never seen this much snow in the woods in my life.

Called it a night when I got the snowmobile stuck right at the driveway. Pulled it out with the truck cause I was already pretty beat.
View attachment 790434
That’s a bunch of snow! Dang!
You might have more than we do. BBCBAFBC-A447-4FC1-8143-BB3A61090452.jpeg Getting unstuck can be a lot of work, lol. This was several weeks ago but sounds like you have more.

What is the simplest sharpener? Not necessarily the best but the one designed to be idoit proof. Because in my case they made a better idoit when it comes to sharpening. Could also be a grinder
If you scroll up to the pic Philbert posted, the file guide with the saw in the log I would say this probably the best starting point.

Back