It’s cold today - bar oil

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
One dumb, tangential question while I’m at it.

Are some woods more prone to soaking up the oil (the chips and dust on the bar grove) than others?

I was not at all satisfied yesterday with the oil on my chain whilst cutting some standing dead ash. And that was my suspicion.
Like svk said, the drier wood will soak up more oil. How much oil was left when you ran out of fuel? Most of my stihls are at around half empty after a tank of fuel. My saws with the AO are about a quarter. If I can pull up the chain and see oil film on the drivers I'm satisfied.

Like svk said, the drier wood will soak up more oil. How much oil was left when you ran out of fuel? Most of my stihls are at around half empty after a tank of fuel. My saws with the AO are about a quarter. If I can pull up the chain and see oil film on the drivers I'm satisfied.

I’d say probably a quarter left after a tank of fuel. Consuming enough that I wasn’t overly worried. Bar wasn’t smoking or anything.

Just tough to see much if any wetness on the drivers...especially in that ash. Also the chain gets kind of a “baked on” oil/sawdust appearance.

20”

Should have specified this is an MS362.
That saw should definitely oil a 20" bar substantially.

What he said!

I’d say probably a quarter left after a tank of fuel. Consuming enough that I wasn’t overly worried. Bar wasn’t smoking or anything.

Just tough to see much if any wetness on the drivers...especially in that ash. Also the chain gets kind of a “baked on” oil/sawdust appearance.
I have noticed that baked on crap after cuttin ash. Not sure what's up with that.

I have noticed that baked on crap after cuttin ash. Not sure what's up with that.

That’s good to hear. It looked pretty weird.

Would it be good practice to do some occasional “piss revs” out of the wood when cutting dry stuff? Maybe wet things down without the dust immediately soaking it up?

I cut only in the winter months here and buy winter grade all year round W-20 at Sam's club by the case at about $6.50 per gallon.. Back in the winter of 2017 I bought a new Dolmar 5105 when I got it home on Saturday afternoon it was very cold the next morning it was -22. I really wanted to try the saw but I also had the entire week off so I thought I would wait maybe it would warm up. I went to look at the forecast for that week and It was not supposed to get above -10 all week .
So I loaded the saw and went to work it was -17 on Sunday morning at 7am I will never forget it. It was that way every day that week by the second fuel up the oil kind of "stacked "into the tank in long thick ribbons instead of poured,.. it was so thick . At every fill up all week though the oil was always gone so even in the extreme cold it was being put out.

My dealer had bar oil in 55 gallon drums. If I remember correctly his summer oil was 30 at and the winter oil was 20 wt. if my business grew any bigger I was thinking about 55 gallon drums of bar oil, hydraulic oil, motor oils, gear oils.

Back