Let's Talk Ultrasonic Cleaners

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I looked at one that was linked and shows temperature setting for heater 0 to 80 degrees Celsius.

Do you heat the cleaning product up to that temperature? I can see the extra benefit.

As a byproduct heating the solution are there gasses and vapors that are not healthy for breathing? Or ??

Is it a concern for you? I've killed plenty of brain cells over my life.....

Good to know...thanks! Does Mean Green do as good of a job cleaning other stuff as Simple Green does? I'm about due for more (I buy a gallon about every year and use about 1:5 in a spray bottle mixed with water). Will either get Mean Green or Extreme if they are still good cleaners. I've never seen it damage Al, but not sure I've soaked anything in it either. Better safe than sorry even if it is a few extra bucks.

I've thought about getting an ultrasonic cleaner before - this thread might inspire me to do so. That HF one seems like a good deal for as relatively little as I'd use it.
I mainly use Mean Green now, I bought the Extreme Simple Green but it's just to expensive. The Extreme does a little bit better job than the Mean Green but I just run the Mean Green a bit longer and in the end they both do the same. I mix mine at about 10:1 and set the temp at 34C (94F) and by the time it finishes it will heat up on it's own from the ultrasonic to around 40/42C (104/108F). If it's still fairly clean I will then pour it back into a separate jug and store it for later use on stuff that's oily/greasy but not a carb. This way I get more use out of it.

I also use this tea strainer for my small engine carb parts. https://www.amazon.com/RSVP-Stainle...d=1579565489&sprefix=tea+str,aps,216&sr=8-171 it makes life a lot easier about keeping the parts from falling into the bottom of the ultrasonic cleaner. It's best not to let anything touch the bottom of the ultrasonic cleaner if you can, they develop cracks over time just from use but anything on the bottom speeds that up from a few info vids on Youtube about ultrasonic cleaners.

Carbs go in a glass jar with alcohol.

So how does that work
out for you?? Do you leave any air in the jar ? do you reuse the alcohol ? Specifically what alcohol ? I wa actually thinking about trying paint thinner ( mineral spirits) or acetone .
Well I had to go out to the garage and check and I made a mistake. It's not alcohol, it's mineral spirits. It seems to work but it's also the only stuff I have tried on carbs. I fill the jar fairly full and put the lid on loosely. I sit it in the basket and fill the usc with hot water so the water level is the same or higher than the liquid in the jar. If the mineral spirits look pretty clean when I'm done I dump them back in the jug.

curious , why put the lid on loosely ? how long do you usually cycle a carb for ??

curious , why put the lid on loosely ? how long do you usually cycle a carb for ??
I put the lid on loose because I am afraid of pressure from the heat. Might not be an issue and I'm overthinking it, I don't know. Whatever the max time is on my usc - that's what I use. 20 minutes? 30? Can't remember (this oldtimers disease is nuthin to laugh about)

I don't know about anyone else, but I thoroughly clean the carbs with compressed air before I dunk them in the usc.
Be careful using compressed air on carbs, check valves don't take well to it.

I just pull them apart, put them in the ultrasonic for 10 minutes, rinse with brake cleaner. Yet to find one it didn't clean.

Picked up Simple Green Pro HD at home depot...$13/gallon. Says to mix 1:14. Supposes to not damage aluminum, and sounds to be less toxic than extreme.

Reason to leave the lid loose enough to -rattle-?

Due to pressure build up:
The jar could just simply crack and drop a piece of glass into the tank.
So you get to clean up the mess in the tank.

Worse case? the jar shatters explosively.
Glass shards and flammable liquid splashes out and finds an ignition source.
It could just simply spill overboard and run into a power switch or thermostat ( ignition source)
No one needs a fire on the work bench.

Yes. It is very important that if you use a caustic or strong acid, that you neutralize with the opposite. Otherwise, you can experience damage to whatever you are using the products on. We have many products that will clean/degrease chains and other parts without rusting or damaging them. My cell is 260-715-7351 or my e-mail is [email protected]. Reach out if I can help with answering questions or providing you with product!! ~Ashley, Zep Rep
Welcome to the site, Ashley. Who knew that Zep reps lirked on the chainsaw forums lol.

ChemicalChick - catchy!

So I've been doing some chainsaw cleaning the last couple days and today filled the USC with Mean Green/water and did some covers and recoils. All I can say wow! I have been nervous before about what the machine would do to the finish on nice plastics but I was worrying about nothing. The USC did an amazing job on those plastic parts. I put a top cover in there that was more black than orange and it came out perfectly clean - I was amazed! I should have taken before/after pics so you all could be amazed too!

edit: On the terrible dirty plastics I ran 3 - 30 minute cycles at 60 degrees celcius. At that temp the parts are about as hot as you can comfortably handle with bare hands.

Interesting. I suppose that some types of plastics could deform in high heat.

I recall that my HF USC also included a list of certain types of jewelry that should not be run through one, so there will be some other things that may not be a good idea.

Glad it worked so well.

Philbert

"Emerald, onyx, opal, tanzanite, lapis lazuli and turquoise are all examples of stones that shouldn’t be cleaned with ultrasonic devices. These gemstones can be damaged in the cleaner by the heat or the vibrations."

I only bring this up in case someone wants to justify the cost of a USC by bragging that their significant other can also use it to clean their bling. Could be an expensive mistake.

Google also lists cautious for pearls and stones with cracks, coloring, or inclusions, including some diamonds (!).

Philbert

Back