Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
8bed571676d0304310653dd558d95ff3.jpg
Got one of these burn barrels last weekend for burning bark in the splitting area. Guy selling them cut vents and put in rebar at the bottom. Works great [emoji91]

On the matter of Dolmar tuning. I have found it the most fickle by a country mile. Worth it but still fickle. A few years ago we had a crazy weather day where it was very humid and the clouds were thick and drifting in and out at ground level like a really thick but warm fog. I couldn't find a tune it would stay happy with in those conditions. Would get it sweet then the clouds would roll in and it would not hold the tune so retune in the clouds then they'd clear and the tune would go. Weird. It wasn't all my incompetence, but likely a large chunk was.

Haven’t been doing much, blew out 2 discs in my back. Lots of Dr. visits and therapy. Haven’t even been able to bend over and pick up and use a saw.

Can't like that! Hope you find someone good at PT … just over a year ago in Nov they wanted to remove a disc in my back due to an MRI … I said no and did PT and now I'm using that X-27 no problems at all! (But I do my exercises regularly). Ironically, Cowboy (all the way from down under) referred me to my Therapist!!!

Well, I got a little delivery today. Guess I can start to have my own little GTG (for a week and a half) before Tax Season with just me, mice elf, and eye!

for your customers? And the back lot behind your house? If you keep doing log loads, you should think about getting a 6way or at the least a 4way wedge.

Haven’t been doing much, blew out 2 discs in my back. Lots of Dr. visits and therapy. Haven’t even been able to bend over and pick up and use a saw.

Believe me when I say there is therapy and then there is therapy. Unfortunately, many or even most of those treating people back pain don't really know what they're doing. Some do. It's my area of speciality. Happy to make some suggestions but would need a bit more info. PM me if you like. On the other hand, if you're happy with how you're progressing, that's also fine. :)

@MustangMike 's surgeon probably stihl wants to operate on him but he avoided that with the right exercises - but the right exercises vary between individual back complaints (even the same person can injure themselves in completely different ways and will need to do different things for each episode) so Mike's exercises won't necessarily work for you. But there's likely to be something that will work, just have to determine what that is.

Cowboy is absolutely correct … which is why I did not recommend my exercises. You need to go to someone who can properly assess you, then tell you what you should and should not do. It is a step by step process. He also asked what I was trying to do and what seemed to help and incorporated one of my exercises into the recovery program.

I could not walk for several days, so it was great to find someone who could provide advice on things to do on a step by step basis. I worked hard at it, which he appreciated, but in about 2 months I was near normal again. I also paid attention to what my body was telling me, and cut back on the recommended frequency of one exercise for a while. My PT guy agreed I did the right thing in that situation.

The Orthopedic Surgeon (after the two months) stated that he could not believe how well I was doing based on the damage he saw in the MRI. I responded to him "GOOD"!

I'm back to lifting the ends of logs that are as heavy as I can lift, and splitting wood by hand with the X-27, but I don't push it for too long. I play a little, then take a break and I don't wear myself out!

for your customers? And the back lot behind your house? If you keep doing log loads, you should think about getting a 6way or at the least a 4way wedge.

That is in the back lot of my house and I will likely split most of it by hand! It's my exercise program, like what I used to do when I heated by wood. For 20 years when I heated by wood I did not own a hydro splitter (only rented one once, when they gave me Elm logs, and the splitter would not split them either). Ended up noodling them with the 044.

Cowboy is absolutely correct … which is why I did not recommend my exercises. You need to go to someone who can properly assess you, then tell you what you should and should not do. It is a step by step process. He also asked what I was trying to do and what seemed to help and incorporated one of my exercises into the recovery program.

I could not walk for several days, so it was great to find someone who could provide advice on things to do on a step by step basis. I worked hard at it, which he appreciated, but in about 2 months I was near normal again. I also paid attention to what my body was telling me, and cut back on the recommended frequency of one exercise for a while. My PT guy agreed I did the right thing in that situation.

The Orthopedic Surgeon (after the two months) stated that he could not believe how well I was doing based on the damage he saw in the MRI. I responded to him "GOOD"!

I'm back to lifting the ends of logs that are as heavy as I can lift, and splitting wood by hand with the X-27, but I don't push it for too long. I play a little, then take a break and I don't wear myself out!
Sure glad your back is better! And you didn’t have to have surgery.
What did you do to get over your tendonitis in your arm/elbow when you had it, if you don’t mind me asking.

Tree came a little too close . Snapped where the brake lever mounts to the case broke the ear off. Never got around to fixing it. Couple of spring pins and some JBweld would do it
Pretty sure I have one here for you, shoot me a PM.
I had to replace the gas flippy cap on my 460 for the first time
Dang things, but I still like them better than the standard caps. I have a great grip, but there isn't a lot to grab onto, same with the standard husky ones.

The cherry bark burns hot and fast. If I just want to get the stove hot to take the chill off or keep the house warm till the sun takes over I'll use that. The thick locust bark almost burns like small splits. I used to toss all the bark on are burn pile then someone suggested burning it in certain situations was a better use.
I like to burn the black locust bark off the dead standing trees, buck them up and get a wheelbarrow load of bark for the shoulder, works great. It works much like burning cookies, they are thin so any coals are smaller even with the hardwoods,.I just put a large ash cookie broke in half in the stove and I've been burning black locust cookies for the lat couple of hrs so I don't have to go out and get more wood and to get the temp up since it was a little chilly at 68, it's just under 72 right now. The great thing with cookies and bark is if you need more heat then you add a few, if it's getting warm you stop adding more and the temp will stay steady in the house, with splits it can be hard to find that balance.
Does leave a lot of ash
Yep, lots of ash, but in the shoulder the coals are getting way burnt down so it doesn't bother me.
My third ash bucket of the yr is almost full and it was cold early here this yr so I've burnt a lot already, it helps that the coals have been burning to nothing because I'm getting them burnt down more.

8bed571676d0304310653dd558d95ff3.jpg
Got one of these burn barrels last weekend for burning bark in the splitting area. Guy selling them cut vents and put in rebar at the bottom. Works great [emoji91]

Works even better (like a blow torch) if you cut both ends out and set them up on a grate held by some concrete blocks. Burns out clean and ashes fall out for easy shoveling from underneath. Drawback is that the barrels only last about 1 season and the grates also burn out oveer a couple seasons.

The reason is simple. Many off the shelf rifles have loose chambers, and many dies have tight chambers, so when you adjust your die for the shoulder to touch, you are reducing the diameter of the case at the neck needlessly, and causing more brass flow than firing the round. You also then get a sloppy fit that is less accurate. This will often result in brass failure near the base, which is dangerous.How long your brass lasts often depends on how hot you load it. I have several boxes of 300 Win Mag, that was loaded a bit less than full house, with 9 loadings.When I start to see neck cracks, I replace the box. I have almost never had brass fail near the base, because I don't over work it.

my dad was a gunsmith. did awesome builds. work. reloaded his own. and did custom loads. was always into the ballistics. I have seen blown out cartridge. not a lot, but he showed me a blowout on one. wiggly crack with powder burns to the sides, just above the extractor ring. seen cracked necks, too. not often, but brass can fatigue... for one reason or another...

Latest posts

Back