McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nope, lol. Im not that picky. I like stihl saws. They make a good product. I love my macs though and prefer them 1st. Stihl has some crappy stuff but mac made some silly stuff to...bullfrog carb, mini macs, etc. To each their own. Good ideas just not great. Sp125, now they are great!!! Put a smile on any enthusiasts face.

Ive got a stihl 20" on a sp81. Very easy. A drill bit and a bench grinder a couple of hex nuts and file. Take 2 hex nuts that are close in size to the stihl slot on outer flats. Drill them out to the bar stud size of mac saw. Then take them to your bench grinder or sander and flatten them to the bar thickness. Then grind/sand the flats to fit inside the bar slot. Now put the hex nuts on your mac studs. Then place the bar on the newly made spacers. Last is the oiling. I used a file and elongated the bar adjuster holes on the bar until the slot is exposed like mac bars. Once you got that youre done. It is very easy. Figure that all bars start out as a piece of metal....they just have different holes in them. Make it work for your application. Thats what they do.
I did this to put a Stihl bar on a Homelite, worked perfect. The bar I used was a 12mm slot. I dug through my junk drawer at work and found a couple nuts. FYI, Toyota uses extensively, 8mm×1.25 nuts that are 12mm hex, these are very easy to drill out to the 5/16 bar studs.

Nope, lol. Im not that picky. I like stihl saws. They make a good product. I love my macs though and prefer them 1st. Stihl has some crappy stuff but mac made some silly stuff to...bullfrog carb, mini macs, etc. To each their own. Good ideas just not great. Sp125, now they are great!!! Put a smile on any enthusiasts face.

Thanks all I do like pictures and all the information my bar is .050 3/8 looks like going to do some filing, but first going to put the 800 back together

I'd say you certainly earned it, sir! Very nice end result on those doors.
Sent Kim a text this morning asking if they didn't want the PM10-10 to name their price I'd take it. She said if her husbnd didn't want it she was sending it home with my wife.

Saw was ok I take it?

I had the same thing happen dropping this 5 footer. Well sorta it didn't twist but I had cut too much of the hinge towards the tip and only a 24 inch bar didn't help. The big monster sat on the bar real good was about to grab the cordless grinder and snip the chain so I could rescue the power head and then it started to go and could only cross my fingers and wait but all was well.

20190519_144702.jpg 20190519_153401.jpg

Also should have cut a bigger notch but was a pain with a 24 that couldn't even reach the center. Splitting that was a nightmare

Saw was ok I take it?

I had the same thing happen dropping this 5 footer. Well sorta it didn't twist but I had cut too much of the hinge towards the tip and only a 24 inch bar didn't help. The big monster sat on the bar real good was about to grab the cordless grinder and snip the chain so I could rescue the power head and then it started to go and could only cross my fingers and wait but all was well.

View attachment 790905 View attachment 790904

Also should have cut a bigger notch but was a pain with a 24 that couldn't even reach the center. Splitting that was a nightmare

Yes , that 700 has been snatched from me a few times , once it was flung over 20 feet ,but its always purring along ready for revenge. I'm rarely cutting over concrete so the ground is pretty soft.

We need to get you a 125 or 797 for those big trees!

Tough saws eh.

Yes a 125 would be awesome. There was 1 on our auction site over here a sp and looked plenty nice the chap wanted 2800nz for it so 1800 US and that's probably fair I guess but hell I can't afford that though jeepers. Got pulled off the site though after an hour because.... no chain brake grrrr stupid stupid trade me.
Screenshot_20200107-121432_Chrome.jpg

Tough saws eh.

Yes a 125 would be awesome. There was 1 on our auction site over here a sp and looked plenty nice the chap wanted 2800nz for it so 1800 US and that's probably fair I guess but hell I can't afford that though jeepers. Got pulled off the site though after an hour because.... no chain brake grrrr stupid stupid trade me.
View attachment 790907

I know you've got a little guy so time is precious but dont hesitate to call someone about something like that, you can trade work or something. Alot of older people just need something done but its a trade off of time. My first pickup truck was paid for by planting 7 trees , 1977 d100 club cab.
I don't necessarily get paid to cut trees aka I'm salaried so its the same amount no matter what im doing. I do know that 3 tree jobs over here would pay for that saw though.

Fun with slow mo, one of the guys at work took this video. The 700s bar got caught when the oak spun alittle and I left , but this is why I wear a helmet.

Great video. Glad you left the saw. Even your best saw isn’t worth testing your hat. After watching the video, I bet you will run a little further next time. I rarely get to watch my trees fall. Ron

Back