Oldest Saw You Use Regularly

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In 1992 we moved onto the farm and damn near froze to death that winter. Babies were in our future, and Mama didn't want to tend an add-on woodstove or depend on the ancient oil burner, so we bought an outdoor boiler and newer, more efficient oil burner.

I figured my old Super EZ and the XL-923 would be fine.

Until I burned up every stick of firewood on the place through the boiler. I had started the winter with between 7 and 8 cords...enough and more, I thought. I'll tell you it sucks to work on a cold shop floor when you're not heating the room to save every stick for the house.

I struggled for a couple of years...12-15 cords for me, and 5 for my Mom and Stepdad...with those old vibrators. Then I splurged and got a Jonsered 630. Then a 2149. Then a Husky 372 jug got ported and installed on a Jonny 625. And a Husky 395...that I can honestly say I only ever truly needed once.

I run a tankful of gas through the 923 every month or so. I eventually got two more Super-EZ's...but they all died of "blue coil disease". I see lots of them being sold for parts nowadays.

I was given the XL-923, but I'm guessing it's from around 1970.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

I struggled for a couple of years... Then I splurged
I totally get that. In general I like to work with older older tools.
We use an 70's air compressor, a big old stationairy drill, an 80's saw wall and old DeWalt radial saws.
It's all made to last. Not the latest and greatest in safety, but dependable heavy tripple phase (so silent) power tools.
Old chainsaws on the other hand, are only fun to show. I don't like to stop a spinning chain on a log every time or numb hands after holding a 3HP viberator.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G955F met Tapatalk

I totally get that. In general I like to work with older older tools.
We use an 70's air compressor, a big old stationairy drill, an 80's saw wall and old DeWalt radial saws.
It's all made to last. Not the latest and greatest in safety, but dependable heavy tripple phase (so silent) power tools.
Old chainsaws on the other hand, are only fun to show. I don't like to stop a spinning chain on a log every time or numb hands after holding a 3HP viberator.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G955F met Tapatalk

Where's ya sense of adventure lol. They sound better they arguably go better they look better there definitely made better there way more fun. Chain brakes aren't really needed on a non av saw if you're watching what your doing the bar tip stays where you put it instead of wobbling about on the end of a spring. AV saws especially modern ones kick far harder than an older saw that can just lug through slowly when the tip is in a precarious situation so if it kicks it's a non event. I use my Mac's all day and have no problem at all with numb hands it's not that bad at all.

This here 10-10 has a late 57cc S engine and its lighter than my mates home owner 59cc stihl and cuts far far faaaar better...
20200113_100043.jpg
It's got rubber on the handle what more do ya need and the exhaust sings the US national anthem

My FIL's old Mac 1-42. My uncle has a habit of pulling some of the logs through the mud before we buck them. The old 1-42 with semi chisel 404 chain does not cut them the fastest but the chain holds out a little longer on the dirty ones that I can't get all the dirt off.

Sacs Dolmar 133 from early 80's. Got it free as a non-runner. It is in very good shape cosmeticcally and had very little time on it, but I rebuilt it to new and love running it. With 85cc's and 6 horsepower it goes through hardwood (and gas) quickly. See avitar.

img_6075-jpg.790377

My Dad's 041. He bought it new in 1979, used it as his only saw on our farm for over 30 years, and now I have it. The saw vibrates like no other, but still cuts like a champ.

041 was a darn good saw. I bought two different ones and they were both great. Loggers in the PNW used to run 041s for thinning saws. They saw a good bit of work in the South as well, but not as much as the 08S. I cut both firewood and pulpwood with mine. One of the best saws Stihl ever made.

Saws currently in my work truck 2 Pro Mac 700s, a super1050A Homelite, and a 028 wood boss.20191119_120338.jpg 20191119_135519.jpg
Obviously I use the 700 to drop trees , 028 for limbs and the homelite for stumps. Used monthly or weekly depending .
These saws are reliable and tough , I also use 10-10 macs and and a pro mac 60 to heat a 2 story farm house with an outside boiler. Nothing newer than the 90s , I can't afford to be crippled by a computer chip. I dont really notice much vibration or numbness in my hands , unless I am swinging the big homelite around for a day.

One of the saws that I did not sell recently is an old Husqvarna 650. Not burning wood any more, but still have lots of woods to clean trails on. The old Husky is very simple. It is also very dependable. That’s just one of my few “keepers”.

I'm not sure which is older, or which is faster for that matter. I should do a comparison with the same bar sometime. I do know that my dad and a friend of his who's now passed were the original owner's of these two.P_20200121_200618_LL.jpg

I rotate my usage of the saws so all the runners get a turn in the pool. My son comes over and cuts dead falls. My misses feeds the woodstove with anything that burns.
The kid runs my 480 cd husky, 385 Xp husky, next up is my 353.

Back