I’m Done with Firewood!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gypo Logger

Timber Baron
Reaction score
7DD91E7E-894D-4D1B-8D65-B3725BBF05FC.jpeg Well , not totally. I burned a full cord of wood this past week due to temps dropping as low as minus 52!
The good news is I got electric heat installed today. Two 2000 watt heaters so now I can starve the stove for air and don’t have to wear a snowsuit and touque to bed anymore and no more three dog nights!
Is this the beginning of the end?

Electric heat is expensive, house was built with it and well insulated! LP is crazy, at mercy of supplier! Natural gas would be the game changer for me. I will stick with wood for now, or until I can no longer do it.

I do have some propane powered space heaters, but since house was new it has been firewood and firewood. R 40 in all the walls R 80 in ceiling 10 % glass and R 60 in the floor makes it easy to keep comfortable. I only burn what I can not sell. Minus 5 or minus 10 is the coldest it has ever been here. A average winter sees a lot of 20's and 30's but not minus 50. Thanks

I'd have to load my boiler every 3 hrs at -52 with the gas logs running.
It was 13* here this morning which was the low for the winter and doesn't happen often.

Ya'll tough up north.

Those little heaters will only knock the frost off of Gypo's nose at -52. I use a couple to keep my well shack from freezing in the 0 to 30F temps but when it starts to head for -15F with a windchill of -50F the Mr. Buddy propane heater come out.

I have a modern “Dual Fuel” Trane system. So far, so good. Gas consumption is very economical, but if not for bad health, I’d still be enjoying cutting and burning wood.

One of my houses has electric heat the other is oil . Unfortunately I live in the electric one. It is nice at times when it's really cold I can turn up the heat in just one room like my bedroom when the stove wont keep up. And its basically 100% efficient as all the energy used is turned to heat. But its damn expensive here.

Really nice when I turn up the master bath and I dont shiver getting out of the shower.

I'd go poor if I had to heat with 4kw electric. That's close to $1 an hour. If it ran 10hrs a day that would be $240 a month.

Damn this is expensive up in AK. Here this is 0,06$/kwh so about 0,24$ per hour. I still burn 2-3 full cords because I have access to free logs and I enjoy it, but at 0,25$/kwh I would burn a lot more to reduce electricity bill.

Back