Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well F, I just typed a long post and it disappeared before I hit summit. If that don't turn a smile upside down.

As I was saying, my 2018 ford escape with only 12,700miles on it took a crap yesterday. Took it in to dealer for a oil change, inspection and tire rotation and the service manager tells me he needs to keep the car overnite to do a pressure check. Pressure check what?, Said the car was low on coolant and he wanted to find where the water went. Today he calls and said the engine block is cracked and they would have to replace the short block. While I am glad they caught the problem while everything is still under warranty, I have lost all faith in the dependability of the car. Internet search's revealed the 1.5 engine has had a lot of coolant leak problems, but usually not until around 50k miles and over. they gave me a loaner car, 2017 fusion, but my wife didn't like it so we headed down to the dealer to see what else they had since they would have to order a short block and then install it so I knew I would be driving the loaner for a few weeks. We discussed the fears we had about reliability issues possible with a know engine problem and decided to just trade the car in for a new one. They where giving $5000 off sticker on new 2019 and they had one that was the exact same color as the 2018 we where trading in, but with a 2.0 engine and it was AWD, our 2018 was only 2wd. So half a day at a dealership buying a car we hadn't even thought about buying this morning when we got out of bed, but here is a firewoodView attachment 787070 picture to keep on topic, sort of.

lost the post! happens to us all. always turns a smile :(! good to hear u dumped that ol car problem! u don't want to be out on the freeway and loose coolant and she seizes up. end of trip! :nofunny: nor have an unhappy wifie for 2 weeks! ;)

Not much snow this year so far, but the kiddo's been wanting to get the sled out for a rip. The good 'ol Tundra will climb over anything, so we cruised the old logging road up behind the house. Lot's of good scrounge up there.

View attachment 787237

he** of a view! looks like some good hunting country...

View attachment 788011 I'll be heading back to the big oak after dropping my daughter off at school tomorrow. Haven't been up there since I posted this pic the other day. Hope I dont have to clear other trees out of the way to get there after the wind we had last night.

that downed tree looks like fun. lots good sized firewood and chunks...

It’s a balmy 10 degrees this morning. Supposed to snow 4 out of the next 5 days so I’ll be putting on the plow tonight.

svk, u sure do see some lows up there! -35f in ur area! wow. I remember down here even given our humidity... when it was 12f out... no one was calling it balme! lol and many, I say many... were calling plumbers. if u could get one!

I have a sauna down the hall. redwood. sometimes I jump into a cold bath. brrr... lol, wondering... you'all ever jump into the snow?

Australian 'Drop Bears' have nothing on Florida!

https://www.cnn.com/2020/01/21/weather/miami-freeze-falling-iguana-forecast-trnd/index.html

Screen shot 2020-01-22 at 10.22.29 AM.png

"(CNN) (edited)
From Louisiana to the Carolinas, even down through Florida, temperatures are averaging 10 to 15 degrees below normal. Freeze warnings and hard freeze warnings are in effect across Florida and Georgia through Wednesday morning.

Tuesday afternoon, the National Weather Service in Miami issued a rare forecast regarding cold temperatures but it was for iguanas. Yes, you read that correctly.
I - guan - as

"Don't be surprised if you see iguanas falling from the trees tonight," tweeted the Miami National Weather Service office.

The concern for people in South Florida is that these iguanas often sleep in trees, so when their bodies go dormant, they appear to fall from the sky onto streets, cars, pools, or even people walking around. And since iguanas are large -- adult males can reach 5 feet in length, and weigh up to 20 pounds -- this can be dangerous if one lands on top of you.

The invasive species can't handle cold temperatures very well because they are cold-blooded. In general, iguanas begin to get sluggish or lethargic once the temperature drops below 50 degrees Fahrenheit.

Once the temperature drops below 45 degrees Fahrenheit the iguanas go into a dormant or cold-stunned state. They appear to be dead, but they are not. They remain breathing with critical body functions still operating.

It is their body's way of protecting them until the temperature warms back up above 50 degrees. If those temperatures remain in the 40s for periods over eight hours, a significant number of those iguanas will die, especially the smaller ones.

"The temperature threshold for when iguanas begin to go into a dormant state depends greatly on the size of the iguana," explains Ron Magill, communications director for Zoo Miami. "Generally speaking, the larger the iguana, the more cold it can tolerate for longer periods.""

Philbert

https://www.cnn.com/2020/01/21/weather/miami-freeze-falling-iguana-forecast-trnd/index.html

View attachment 790802

"(CNN) (edited)
From Louisiana to the Carolinas, even down through Florida, temperatures are averaging 10 to 15 degrees below normal. Freeze warnings and hard freeze warnings are in effect across Florida and Georgia through Wednesday morning.

Tuesday afternoon, the National Weather Service in Miami issued a rare forecast regarding cold temperatures but it was for iguanas. Yes, you read that correctly.
I - guan - as

"Don't be surprised if you see iguanas falling from the trees tonight," tweeted the Miami National Weather Service office.

The concern for people in South Florida is that these iguanas often sleep in trees, so when their bodies go dormant, they appear to fall from the sky onto streets, cars, pools, or even people walking around. And since iguanas are large -- adult males can reach 5 feet in length, and weigh up to 20 pounds -- this can be dangerous if one lands on top of you.

The invasive species can't handle cold temperatures very well because they are cold-blooded. In general, iguanas begin to get sluggish or lethargic once the temperature drops below 50 degrees Fahrenheit.

Once the temperature drops below 45 degrees Fahrenheit the iguanas go into a dormant or cold-stunned state. They appear to be dead, but they are not. They remain breathing with critical body functions still operating.

It is their body's way of protecting them until the temperature warms back up above 50 degrees. If those temperatures remain in the 40s for periods over eight hours, a significant number of those iguanas will die, especially the smaller ones.

"The temperature threshold for when iguanas begin to go into a dormant state depends greatly on the size of the iguana," explains Ron Magill, communications director for Zoo Miami. "Generally speaking, the larger the iguana, the more cold it can tolerate for longer periods.""

Philbert
That's funny.
Wear your hardhats boys :yes:.

svk, u sure do see some lows up there! -35f in ur area! wow. I remember down here even given our humidity... when it was 12f out... no one was calling it balme! lol and many, I say many... were calling plumbers. if u could get one!

I have a sauna down the hall. redwood. sometimes I jump into a cold bath. brrr... lol, wondering... you'all ever jump into the snow?
Jumping into POWDER snow is a lot of fun. But be sure to know what you are getting into. Crusty snow is no fun, neither are ice pieces under the powder. LOL.

The other day my son shoveled the deck then dove into the fresh pile.

View attachment 790802

"(CNN) (edited)

I - guan - as

Philbert
Those iguanas are cool to watch and my understanding is since they eat plants they do not bother humans. They are all over around my grandpa's condo in Miami. Some of them come into the parking garage if it gets too hot outside.

In reading that article I was surprised to see that iguanas get as far north as Louisiana and the Carolinas. There were none around the Florida panhandle.
Saw this little guy the other day, they have invaded Michigan this yr! From what I've read the snowy owls will sometimes come down this way looking for food at least that what they think, I think they get cold in the tundra and fall into Michigan lol. Whatever the reason, they are cool to see; I've seen around 10 in my lifetime, my kids just got to see their first :clap:.
Screen Shot 2020-01-17 at 1.20.14 PM.png

Cowboy, didn’t know you had a hand in getting my Uncle straightened out. Sincerely, THANK YOU! It’s great having him back healthy. Both my dad and I were pretty worried about him for a bit.

:cheers:

Gotta make sure he's fit enough to post scrounge pics!

So I have a question about wet noodles [emoji23]
Everybody be talkin bout how good noodles are for firestarter, and I fully agree that when dry they are awesome. But what about when you’re noodling green wood? What do y’all do with them then?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Let them season or use as bedding for animals.

So I have a question about wet noodles [emoji23]
Everybody be talkin bout how good noodles are for firestarter, and I fully agree that when dry they are awesome. But what about when you’re noodling green wood? What do y’all do with them then?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thow them in a paper bag store in a dry place . They dry quickly

:cheers:

Gotta make sure he's fit enough to post scrounge pics!

Spent less than 2 hours this afternoon with my MOFO 360 and X-27, but I got a good start!

Split some Oak and Hickory, and made some brown snow!

Attachments

• IMG_20200122_155539530_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20200122_155539530_HDR.jpg
    5 MB · Views: 22
  • IMG_20200122_155553576_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20200122_155553576_HDR.jpg
    4.9 MB · Views: 22
  • IMG_20200122_155607624_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20200122_155607624_HDR.jpg
    5.6 MB · Views: 22
  • IMG_20200122_155626406_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20200122_155626406_HDR.jpg