Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So I have a question about wet noodles [emoji23]
Everybody be talkin bout how good noodles are for firestarter, and I fully agree that when dry they are awesome. But what about when you’re noodling green wood? What do y’all do with them then?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Spread them out in the driveway in the sun in the morning. They will be plenty dry enough to use as fire starter by the time the sun goes down that night.

Thank you sir. I did one for the 590 you ported for me also.
Neither chain is great but I'm working on it.
I've been trying to do square for a little while, converted this lpx to square and it cuts decent, some of those guys can flat do a chain
a504bbc019008a79ad0545f7848cf90f.jpg

Chipper, we have them here quite often.

Loving these pics guys! I’m kind of obsessed with owls, never seen a snowy, but don’t except to unless I start spending lots of time up north. down here it’s barred owls all the time, occasional great horned, barn owls and screechers

Last year (2019) I saw two big old owls up at the deer camp/cabin. My wife loves birds of prey so she was super excited to see the one.

I see and hear barred owls quite often, like way more than anyone else I talk to about it. Dunno why but I’m not complaining!

Not sure what @KiwiBro would say to this old wood? All I'm getting out of it is dust!
View attachment 791023

The straw boss has some concerns. Something she didn't like about the smoke detector going off!
Arrrgh, is there a more mind numbing job than trying to sand/scrape wooden stairs? Looks pretty clean though so hopefully you enjoy that moment when the first coat goes on and the floor reveals itself.
That reminds me. With so many different tools in their cordless line-up, why haven't Makita got a belt sander amongst them?
I was just looking at a USA floor sanding manufacturer yesterday - American Sanders. They do a multi-disc plate that uses 6 x 6" disc pads that have the velcro backing and can use those mesh discs that you guys deliberately refused to tell me about.

We don't see much <4" flooring here. At least with the narrow widths there'd be less cupping to sand out. Do you have a sacrificial vacuum you can hook the sander up to? I bought a cheapie for one job about 6 months ago and still haven't managed to kill it, but I run it through a small cyclone set-up, so I guess it doesn't see much dust anyway as almost all but the fine stuff gets caught by the cyclone and dumped into a small bin.

Actually, that reminds - even at least one of the Makita cordless stick vacuums has a cyclone attachment for it to save having to swap out the filter bags as often.

Good luck with the rest of that floor. I hope you are better with an edger than I am and have more patience with a scraper.

Arrrgh, is there a more mind numbing job than trying to sand/scrape wooden stairs? Looks pretty clean though so hopefully you enjoy that moment when the first coat goes on and the floor reveals itself.
That reminds me. With so many different tools in their cordless line-up, why haven't Makita got a belt sander amongst them?
I was just looking at a USA floor sanding manufacturer yesterday - American Sanders. They do a multi-disc plate that uses 6 x 6" disc pads that have the velcro backing and can use those mesh discs that you guys deliberately refused to tell me about.

We don't see much <4" flooring here. At least with the narrow widths there'd be less cupping to sand out. Do you have a sacrificial vacuum you can hook the sander up to? I bought a cheapie for one job about 6 months ago and still haven't managed to kill it, but I run it through a small cyclone set-up, so I guess it doesn't see much dust anyway as almost all but the fine stuff gets caught by the cyclone and dumped into a small bin.

Actually, that reminds - even at least one of the Makita cordless stick vacuums has a cyclone attachment for it to save having to swap out the filter bags as often.

Good luck with the rest of that floor. I hope you are better with an edger than I am and have more patience with a scraper.

Sacrificial shop vacs on duty. That was just a trial run to get commited. If it keeps going like that I won't bother renting a sander. Though the bigger rooms it will be mandatory. These floors were carpeted over for a lifetime so it is kinda fun even if they keep the distressed look.

Back