Oldest Saw You Use Regularly

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had 12 White Pines to take down and needed a new climbing saw. Bought an Echo 305. This was in the early 90’s. One of the anti vibe mounts broke so I put it on the shelf. I’ve been retired 4 years and that was before I retired. Two weeks ago I built an Echo only shelf. Pulled the little 305 down, pulled the choke out, and it started and sounded good. Bought a new AV mount and used it four 2 plus hours yesterday. It will probably get more use in the near future.

Either one of these 90% of the time. Any wood that's green- hardwood, softwood, doesn't matter, they will cut the full bar length. When I have to cut dry hardwood over 12" then I reach for something bigger.

View attachment 790848

Man those are a pretty pair of twins!

Either one of these 90% of the time. Any wood that's green- hardwood, softwood, doesn't matter, they will cut the full bar length. When I have to cut dry hardwood over 12" then I reach for something bigger.

Beautiful saws. But just to be clear . . . those photos were taken just after restoration, right? They don't really look like that with regular use, do they?

I use my 038 all the time. Love that saw. Starts super easy and doesn’t flood easy like my ms 291. I know I can’t compare the 2 but has a nice sound when running also. I’m 48 and all the older guys I know 60 and up love their older saws whatever saw they run. They always complain about new saws emissions.

The saw I reach for the most is a 2018 Echo 2511t, then a 2017 Stihl 261. My 2004 346xp rides the crane and my 385xp (not sure the year) does most big cuts. 395xp every time for the huge cuts.

I love old saws, but I don’t trust them as much. They stay closer to the shop and see far less action.

Latest posts

Back