Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Chipper, we have them here quite often.
That's cool.
I've seen a good number, but most people here have never seen one, very rare down here.
Loving these pics guys! I’m kind of obsessed with owls, never seen a snowy, but don’t except to unless I start spending lots of time up north. down here it’s barred owls all the time, occasional great horned, barn owls and screechers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I hit a barred owl one time with my car, stunned it and I grabbed it off the side of the rd to bring to a guy who helps lots of wildlife.
He came out with the huge leather gloves the I brought it in to his house, I was like, yeah I guess some gloves would have been a good idea :dumb:.
Here's one my boy and I found this summer when we were out fishing, it was a cool experience with him :).
Cant see much in the video, but you can hear it and my sons excitement when he saw it with the light.

I've been trying to do square for a little while, converted this lpx to square and it cuts decent, some of those guys can flat do a chain
a504bbc019008a79ad0545f7848cf90f.jpg
I've been spending some time in the square file thread on O P E. Alot of guys in that thread that are willing to share what they know.

I've been spending some time in the square file thread on O P E. Alot of guys in that thread that are willing to share what they know.
I got bumped out of it again, figured you were posting in there when I saw the videos pop up.
I stop getting alerts for threads a lot over there, happens here too, but not nearly as often.

I got bumped out of it again, figured you were posting in there when I saw the videos pop up.
I stop getting alerts for threads a lot over there, happens here too, but not nearly as often.
I get that alot over there to. I'll hop to the firewood thread and not get alerts from the square file thread and be a page or two behind sometimes.

I get that alot over there to. I'll hop to the firewood thread and not get alerts from the square file thread and be a page or two behind sometimes.
Not sure what's up with it, here or there.
Many times if you get an alert you don't respond to you get bumped out. If I respond to every alert I get I'd be on all day :badpc:.

I see and hear barred owls quite often, like way more than anyone else I talk to about it. Dunno why but I’m not complaining!

A lot of the turkey calling contests i have been in also had a owl hooting competion. I couldn't win the turkey calling but i brought home a few hooting trophies. When i first started dating my wife I told her I'd take her out one evening and call some owls in. I got the :rolleyes: from her. Scared the crap out of her when owls started landing in the trees around us and started talking back to me. In case any of you never heard one.

I hit an owl once with my Ranger truck, it bounced off the windshield and landed in back of the truck (at night). I stopped and put the flashers on so it would not get run over, and tried to get it into a cardboard box I had so I could bring it to an animal recovery unit.

Instead, it recovered on it's own, and got up like a drunken weebill wobble, then flew away.

Another time I was hunting, and my friend was pushing, and a huge owl glided 20 ft over my head as I sat motionless. About 20 min earlier, I had seen it drop down from a tree and pick something up. I just stayed still. It had a very large wingspan.

Is that a challenge, if so you obviously don't know me :laugh:.
Guessing you're not wanting to tear it down though?
Just saying involved . Not a big challenge but I hate tearing down a perfectly good running saw. Just like jumping out of a perfecty good airplane.

In reading that article I was surprised to see that iguanas get as far north as Louisiana and the Carolinas. There were none around the Florida panhandle.

We don't have invasive iguanas here; it was referencing the areas the cold weather would extend to. The iguana dropping warning was isolated to just Florida.

So I have a question about wet noodles [emoji23]
Everybody be talkin bout how good noodles are for firestarter, and I fully agree that when dry they are awesome. But what about when you’re noodling green wood? What do y’all do with them then?

Thow them in a paper bag store in a dry place . They dry quickly

If you put them in either a paper bag or cardboard box, they will dry very fast and be good to go.
Agree with these guys. I leave them out in the sun for a while then put them in a brown paper bag. It is getting tougher to find brown paper grocery bags, they all try to force those crappy plastic ones on you now.

That's cool.
I've seen a good number, but most people here have never seen one, very rare down here.

I hit a barred owl one time with my car, stunned it and I grabbed it off the side of the rd to bring to a guy who helps lots of wildlife.
He came out with the huge leather gloves the I brought it in to his house, I was like, yeah I guess some gloves would have been a good idea :dumb:.
Here's one my boy and I found this summer when we were out fishing, it was a cool experience with him :).
Cant see much in the video, but you can hear it and my sons excitement when he saw it with the light.

Interesting that a barred making those screeching noises.

For three seasons we can hear them on any clear night at home or the cabin with the traditional "who-cooks-for-you, who-cooks-for-youuuuu"

Agree with these guys. I leave them out in the sun for a while then put them in a brown paper bag. It is getting tougher to find brown paper grocery bags, they all try to force those crappy plastic ones on you now.
I do the same, paper bags and just pile them in, the looser the better if you want to use them right away.

Seems funny since I'm pretty sure all the plastic bags are killing the polar bears or something like that :rare2:.

Back