Stihl 046

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dreidel13

Reaction score
Hey! First time posting, and hope this is an appropriate forum. I'm looking for another chainsaw. Currently looking at a 046Mag for $400. The question is, is this saw still worth it? I know they are good saws and I've been scouring this site learning a lot of good things. I know the oil tank has been replaced. I dont know what else has been done yet. It's a little beat, but runs good.
My backup is a ms362 for $500. I currently run a 028 Super (my dad claimed my other saw) so from what I've read the best way to improve your arsenal if you already have a 50 saw is go with a 70. Skip the 60.
I'll be cutting a lot of maple and ash of various sizes. Between all the dead ash and the recent river cleanup I have a lot of clearing to do.
Thanks for the opinions.

Welcome to AS. Condition is everything and of course aftermarket parts effect the price, but $400 for an all OEM 046 would be a deal. You'd want to give it a good look over though and check the piston/compression. Post up some pics and you'll have loads of folks offering an opinion.

Welcome to AS. Condition is everything and of course aftermarket parts effect the price, but $400 for an all OEM 046 would be a deal. You'd want to give it a good look over though and check the piston/compression. Post up some pics and you'll have loads of folks offering an opinion.
+1 on everything Ozhoo said. Everything.

I probably spent almost that much reconstructing the one I started with. I ended up with some extra stuff however :).

I made a huge mistake two years ago. I lent my 046 Mag to a good friend who used it to cur wood to help pay off a loan. He had never returned it. One thing I did after I bought it seven years ago was a simple muffler mod. That was about it. That saw runs today like a jack rabbit. My friend is not in good health, so I allowed him to keep using it until he can no longer cut anything.

BTW, I checked back my records. I paid $350 shipped for the saw that was sold to me as a non-runner, PHO. All it needed was a carb adjustment and a good clean up. Here's how it looks after I restored it:
Stihl046 Magnum Restored.JPG

If it’s in good condition, has a decent bar, (24-32”), and good compression, then I’d say the price is reasonable. Assuming all of the above, you could do a lot worse.

This is all I have to go on right now. I am not sure I would get the chance to do a compression check before I buy it. I also see the pull cord has broken and been tied, but who hasn't broken a bunch of those?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200123-131831_Facebook.jpg
    Screenshot_20200123-131831_Facebook.jpg
    390.6 KB · Views: 19
  • Screenshot_20200123-131813_Facebook.jpg
    Screenshot_20200123-131813_Facebook.jpg
    490.9 KB · Views: 18
  • Screenshot_20200123-131827_Facebook.jpg
    Screenshot_20200123-131827_Facebook.jpg
    409.1 KB · Views: 18
A couple things, one if you do go to look at it insist on pulling the muffler. All you need is a t-27 and it takes about one minute to do it. You'll have a clear view of the piston, which is pretty important information.

I will say that that particular 046 doesn't look like an especially good deal for $400. If it runs strong and the piston is in good shape, it's okay, but not great. That said, from the pics, that saw isn't original. The crankcases are from a 460 or something. The flippy cap gives it away. Should have a regular screw cap like the gas tank does. So, it's hard to say exactly what that saw is. Maybe a 460 with an 046 tank and plastic.

Yah. I saw that about the flippy cap. I will take a t27 with me if I go look. I was planning to offer $350. I want to save some money but might feel better with the newer 362. It'll probably do everything I want but I wouldn't mind having the extra power around.

Yah. I saw that about the flippy cap. I will take a t27 with me if I go look. I was planning to offer $350. I want to save some money but might feel better with the newer 362. It'll probably do everything I want but I wouldn't mind having the extra power around.
Ryan is right. That saw has been messed with/worked on. There is nothing orginal about it. Not that the work isn’t good, might be, might not be.

If the piston and cylinder look good through the muffler I’d offer 250 and maybe end up paying 300. Point out that it’s clearly not an 046 or 046 magnum, it can’t be with a flippy cap crank case-its just got the right handle and covers. Who knows what cylinder is even on it, at this point it wouldn’t matter to me, it’s a hodge podge of parts. 460 case 046 handle, magnum plastics or at least the sticker. I’d still buy it for 250 if it had no scoring. Maybe 300 depending on how I feel when I get there and how it feels.

For what it’s worth my “Magnum” isn’t really a magnum anymore as it doesn’t shave the D Shaped combustion chamber cylinder on it anymore. It’s an 046 case, 54mm ported big bore cylinder, and an OEM 460 tank/handle. Kinda the opposite of what your looking at tank/crankcase wise.

Mine runs great and pulls a 36” bar with a skip chain well enough to cut stumps low before I grind them. Not sure a stocker would pull a 36” bar too well, especially not day in and day out.

Good luck

Bruce

Back