I’m Done with Firewood!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My house was built in 1979. Elecrtic company coned the builder into installing a electric forced air furnace. It has 6 inch walls with a sheet of foam then 6 inches of fiberglass insulation, ceiling is a foot of fiber glass and another foot of cellos.
We have huge windows on the north side the whole of the house faceing the woods just 39 yards away. Not many windows to the south due to the attached garage.

It had a wood burning furnace in the house in January 1986 when we moved in. I used the electric heat a week till I could drive to my folks with my equipment trailer and get a load of fire wood in the truck from dad and load the trailer down with slabs at the saw mill over the hill.

Never let the electric furnace run much till 1994 when My job had me working 7 days 12 hours, got lazy and didn't cut fire wood.
First whole month electric bill came in. About had a heart attack 450.00 more than the normal electric bill.
I called my dad and asked if he had any extra wood, Yup I have some. Drove up on Saturday befor work and loaded 2 face cord on the truck and left the equipment trailer. Dad said he could get 10 full cord loads delivered to the house for $400.00 mixed tops.
I ordered 10 cords and dad had them drop 5 cord on my trailer.

that summer I removed all the wireing for the electric furnace. Natural gas was ran by the house summer 1995. We plan to get a gas furnace some day. But for now we are cozy with our 28 3500 Englind wood burner in the basement . We ran the blower a couple times during the polar vortex days we had for a couple winters.

Electric heat is for the rich people who don't want to get their lilly white hands dirty.

:D Al

View attachment 790729 Well , not totally. I burned a full cord of wood this past week due to temps dropping as low as minus 52!
The good news is I got electric heat installed today. Two 2000 watt heaters so now I can starve the stove for air and don’t have to wear a snowsuit and touque to bed anymore and no more three dog nights!
Is this the beginning of the end?

:cold: ^

Nobody likes a quitter

:laugh: ^

I’ll sleep in the idling truck before I wear a snow suit to bed lol. Temps finally warming up a litttle bit here.
I have slept in a truck when it was 50 below before. (-45°F confirmed by local weather report). That Freightliner got it up to 45° in the sleeper and I kept wondering if the heater was every going to blow warm air. Then it occurred to me that the Detroit 60 was pushing a full 90° temperature difference. I wasn't wearing a snow suit, but I certainly had more layers on than was comfortable to sleep.

Natural Gas backup heat here too. Thank my lucky stars - even with huge hydro electric in BC, Hydro ain't cheap!

If you live in or near a city (God Help You), next 20 years it doesn't look good for those using far cheaper NatGas.

Looks like it's going to be a real creep show.

Vancouver begins controversial restrictions on natural gas!
Furnaces, fireplaces, hot-water heaters and cooktops that use natural gas will become a thing of the past for some new building projects in the City of Vancouver starting Monday.

All developments requiring a rezoning will become the first wave of buildings that have to comply with new standards designed to make Vancouver a zero-emissions city. While the city insists new energy efficiency rules designed to reduce emissions don't outright ban natural gas, developers say the standards are so restrictive that it will be impossible to include it in any form.

Vancouver's natural-gas supplier, FortisBC, as well as numerous small businesses and industry associations, say the policy will end up costing consumers three times as much as they pay now for natural gas, giving them less choice, and all while not necessarily achieving what the city hopes for.

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/new...-restrictions-on-natural-gas/article34846098/

Been there in ND. Wind rocking the cab so hard I thought I'd never get to sleep.

Unc. Quick search (NOT google!)
Brought up 1.41 R value per inch.
10" log = R14

Why are you people using heat? I thought you guys liked the cold weather? You always say how you like the winter yet you use wood to heat your home? Bunch of hypocrites.:cold::crazy2:

Well personally I have a woman who only does the things I like if it's warm in the house. I also like not having to piss or shite on a block of ice.;)

Best choice I ever made was to install my Froling FHG30 wood boiler and a 820gal thermal storage tank. I only need to fire the boiler once every 24 hours when lows are in the low 30's (F). Much below that I will split the load and light two half fires, one in the morning and one at night. I now heat more space (garage and domestic hot water) and for at least 2-3 months longer all while burning the same or slightly less wood than I did with a free standing stove.

Natural Gas backup heat here too. Thank my lucky stars - even with huge hydro electric in BC, Hydro ain't cheap!

If you live in or near a city (God Help You), next 20 years it doesn't look good for those using far cheaper NatGas.

Looks like it's going to be a real creep show.

Vancouver begins controversial restrictions on natural gas!
Furnaces, fireplaces, hot-water heaters and cooktops that use natural gas will become a thing of the past for some new building projects in the City of Vancouver starting Monday.

All developments requiring a rezoning will become the first wave of buildings that have to comply with new standards designed to make Vancouver a zero-emissions city. While the city insists new energy efficiency rules designed to reduce emissions don't outright ban natural gas, developers say the standards are so restrictive that it will be impossible to include it in any form.

Vancouver's natural-gas supplier, FortisBC, as well as numerous small businesses and industry associations, say the policy will end up costing consumers three times as much as they pay now for natural gas, giving them less choice, and all while not necessarily achieving what the city hopes for.

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/new...-restrictions-on-natural-gas/article34846098/
That’s too bad, I guess they should have allowed the pipeline.

I would be happy with a nice contforable 70F to 75F year around inside and out. But that isn't happening any place on earth I know off so I will take the cold winter temps over the heat and humidity and all the blood sucking bugs and those that just bite for a break.

With all the high tec winter clothing today it isn't real hard to stay warm out side as long as it is above -30F below.
I call any thing below -30F below the extreame the other way like the 80F 94% humidty the eastreame heat mess.

My house was built in 1979. Elecrtic company coned the builder into installing a electric forced air furnace. It has 6 inch walls with a sheet of foam then 6 inches of fiberglass insulation, ceiling is a foot of fiber glass and another foot of cellos.
We have huge windows on the north side the whole of the house faceing the woods just 39 yards away. Not many windows to the south due to the attached garage.

It had a wood burning furnace in the house in January 1986 when we moved in. I used the electric heat a week till I could drive to my folks with my equipment trailer and get a load of fire wood in the truck from dad and load the trailer down with slabs at the saw mill over the hill.

Never let the electric furnace run much till 1994 when My job had me working 7 days 12 hours, got lazy and didn't cut fire wood.
First whole month electric bill came in. About had a heart attack 450.00 more than the normal electric bill.
I called my dad and asked if he had any extra wood, Yup I have some. Drove up on Saturday befor work and loaded 2 face cord on the truck and left the equipment trailer. Dad said he could get 10 full cord loads delivered to the house for $400.00 mixed tops.
I ordered 10 cords and dad had them drop 5 cord on my trailer.

that summer I removed all the wireing for the electric furnace. Natural gas was ran by the house summer 1995. We plan to get a gas furnace some day. But for now we are cozy with our 28 3500 Englind wood burner in the basement . We ran the blower a couple times during the polar vortex days we had for a couple winters.

Electric heat is for the rich people who don't want to get their lilly white hands dirty.

I hate the electrical co-op with a passion (sheisters of the first degree!!) but I do not think I would unhook the wiring from a working boiler. What do you do if you go on vacation? Or have an emergency and cannot get home for a few days during the winter?

I shut the power off at the boiler for mine. We use wood and the propane backup automatically kicks in when water temp drops to the temp that I determine.

Latest posts

Back