357xp Will Not Rev with the Chain Installed

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

C2DJ

Reaction score
I new herebut have learned a lot. I bought a 357xp for $100. It did not have a chain when I bought it, and the tensioner was broken. The saw started, ran, idled, and revved fine without a chain. After it was warmed up it would start on the 1st pull. Once the chain was installed it would not idle very well and would bog and die when I give it gas. I asjusted the carb to get it to idle, and I can sometimes get it to rev if I feather the trigger. But it will not let me just squeeze the trigger. Any ideas? I am not upset because I bought it as a project to tinker with. I suspect I need to inspect the cylinder. TIA

Check your crank seals. Spray carb cleaner onto them while the saw is warmed up and running. A change in RPM will tell you if it's the seals or not.

I did not remove the chain to check again. The chain is correct and the brake is off. The sprocket tip is not locked up. I did carb cleaner around the carb fittings but I will try around the crankcase. I may also order a new clutch drum and bearing as they were not in great condition. Thank you all for the tips.

I've thrown a few chains and this burst the bar up.

When on the mtn I then have to run the chain loose or it wont turn it. Running loose allows the drivers to eatcyheyre way through the burrs then chain can be adjusted properly

Nice find.

There are two drums for it. Most came with the regular 7 tooth drum for 3/8. .325 requires the small 7 drum that is also used on a 346.

A couple things you may want to address if ever pull the cylinder.... Is it an earlier model with the auto decomp? Plastic clamp on the intake boot?

Before we dismantle this how about doing a compression check? For what was paid this is the first place to start.How worn is the clutch drive sprocket? If worn this could be allowing the drive link to sink to deep into the sprocket.How about the muffler screen?

Before we dismantle this how about doing a compression check? For what was paid this is the first place to start.How worn is the clutch drive sprocket? If worn this could be allowing the drive link to sink to deep into the sprocket.How about the muffler screen?
Lots of ways to skin this cat for sure.

OP, I have accumulated quite a lot of parts for these. If you end up needing anything I'll help if I can.

Latest posts

Back