4 saw plan recommendations please

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hardhat

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Currently running 3 saw plan that has been great MS150tc for marking trunk and large limbs and for removing small limbs. 550xp 18 inch bar for most of limbing and cutting up large part of tree. ms500i with 28 inch light bar for felling and cutting up trunk and other big stuff.

Recently bought new 241cm with 16 inch light bar but have not picked it up yet after I read about them being great saws and no longer available. I figure I will use it for most of the stuff I used the 550xp for, but would like to get a saw in between it and the ms500i. Was thinking ms362cm or 562xp with 20 inch light bar. Then I would be 25/40/60/80cc. Looking mainly for lightweight pro saws with good power to weight ratio.

Would then sell the 550xp. The 60cc and the 241 would take its place and the 60cc would also be available for a 1 saw plan if needed.

Any thoughts? Was happy with my 3 saw plan, but brother in law started buying chainsaws and reactivated my CAD....

I think the 362 or the 562 would fit well.

I've run both of them and for me they just don't fit. I have a 261, 462 though, so a 60cc doesn't work for me. Both are great saws though, you would be happy with either.

Honestly though, I would have probably just stuck with the 3 saw plan you had...I don't think you gain anything tangible with a 40 and a 60 vs a good 50cc saw except less money in your pocket lol. But CAD being what it is, get both a 362 AND a 562!! And a 261...and a 462...and a 572...and a a 661.....and......and...and...

I think the 362 or the 562 would fit well.

I've run both of them and for me they just don't fit. I have a 261, 462 though, so a 60cc doesn't work for me. Both are great saws though, you would be happy with either.

Honestly though, I would have probably just stuck with the 3 saw plan you had...I don't think you gain anything tangible with a 40 and a 60 vs a good 50cc saw except less money in your pocket lol. But CAD being what it is, get both a 362 AND a 562!! And a 261...and a 462...and a 572...and a a 661.....and......and...and...

Kind of pisses me off in a way. I was happy enough with what I had until I read people raving about then 241cm about how it is so much better that what specs suggest. It's a light saber. Best small saw ever. Blah blah blah. I also thought about the 261 which is similar to my 550xp, but I already have the 550xp so that makes no sense. Coming to this site definitely makes me want to buy chainsaws I don't need :)

Really looking for something significantly more powerful than the 550xp without a whole lot more weight and the 60cc saws I have seen are a bit more powerful and 1.5 lbs (or more) heavier.

I am excited about the 241cm but it just kind of doesn't fit into my current plan and I am trying to adjust.

I played with 3 4 6 8 saw plans.
Gota have a back up for your 50 60 70 90 cc saw.

Then I toned back to cutting and limbing saw along with 90cc felling saw. Then realized why crawl off the mtn for limbing saw.
So 50cc quit coming. Then 60cc also stayed home.
Pretty quick I cut with a pair if saws wereing 28s these work in twigs to 4ft trees.

Now I rarely cut but do mess with 70cc saws doing acasional tree and lot clearing jobs..

I've only ounce had a saw to big that ws when I had a 084. But I've been stuck with a saw to small alot of time's because i damaged my 70cc and only hd a 50cc to fill its shoes.

Lots of 2ft to 3ft plus trees here so 70cc or pair work for me.

Tool up for the wood being cut youl never need to pack 4 saws around if you've got pair of well running reliable saws.

Your 3 saw plan needs a 4th, your 4 saw plan needs a backup. Like this:

4 saw plan:
150t, 550xp, 500i, 395xp

Backup saws:
Echo 2511t, 241, 7900, Another 395xp

You should probably get a 461 and a 372xpw as well.

Once you’re backed up, then get a 2260 and a 362.

My thoughts are to keep the 50cc

the 550 is very light and it has its place for camping and quick small jobs and especially limbing.
I thought my 562xp would replace it, but the weight difference is substantial. Yes the spec only says two pounds but try limbing with it for a couple trees and you may appreciate something lighter.
With its larger fuel capacity and the fact it uses large mount bars that are heavier in general with heavier 3/8 chain it all adds up.

IMO here is a great 3 saw plan, look at my sig lol

50cc with 18 or 20” for the small jobs and limbing
60cc or 72cc with a 28” techlite for the larger jobs
95cc with a 36” for the really big jobs

if you Climb trees a 4th saw would be a top handle

My main saws were the 2100 and 266 got used the most. In the 80’s we didn’t have so many choices like we have today. Or I didn’t really pay attention.

My choices would be different if I did it all over again. I think the 2100, the 288, the 266 is what I would pick today.

Back