Ms 064

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Today I went to a pawn shop (PAWN, keep it clean!) to see an ms 064. After some great advice it looked fairly good, had a hard life, but not abused.

checked over everything and seemed all good, until I took the top cover and muffler off to see a shiny cylinder and brand new piston (with slight carbon on it) and my heart sank - cheap Chinese piston and cylinder... everything else was mostly good.

Anyway I asked to start it and try it out, blipped on choke after 4-5 pulls - hadn’t been ran in 4-5 months and they filled (actually asked me) the tank as it was empty. Started on high idle after a couple pulls and the ran and died. Started again and with gentle blipping off idle to warm it up it got into the swing of things and idled nicely. The real reason for this post though is, OH MY GOODNESS the sound of these larger saws “BANG, BANG, BANG, BA-BANG, BA-BANG, BA-BANG, That sound is to die for. It brought back memories of my cr250 2 stroke I use to race and the thump of a large single cylinder. I have fallen in LOVE with larger saws.

As I sit here and work, I am muttering under my breath “bang bang bang”:laughing:
Anyway, they didn’t take my offer but it’s been up for sale for 5 months and hasn’t sold so it ain’t going anywhere fast so I will call every month and see if they’ll take me up!

They have been asking 995 Aussi dollars,

I said via message I’d offer a conditional 500 Aussi dollars upon inspection. Which they said yes to straight away.

Chinese top end discovered and thus I offered 200 Aussi dollars and no need for warranty, they said no.

8904FD9F-DEBF-4DEB-B1F5-D9440B8F5B94.jpeg 47FF3E2A-BCA2-435F-BE57-25FA8C34C71F.jpeg

200 Aussi dollars is equal to almost $137 US dollars and if the rest of the saw is in good shape as it looks good from the pics you should be able to find a good used OEM cylinder/meteor piston for maybe $80/$90...That saw as is would bring $$250-300 on Ebay right now....if you don't believe me search Ebay sold listings..

200 Aussi dollars is equal to almost $137 US dollars and if the rest of the saw is in good shape as it looks good from the pics you should be able to find a good used OEM cylinder/meteor piston for maybe $80/$90...That saw as is would bring $$250-300 on Ebay right now....if you don't believe me search Ebay sold listings..
Sure thing, they wouldn’t take less than 500 Aussi dollars and it’s just a little too much for me to justify without having an OEM cylinder and piston. It’s a nice saw but it is tired. Something else will come along :)

Its actually not as big as you think.
Same bore as 046 just a bigger crank case and longer stroke.

They're very nice saws. I've never had a 064 but ran 064 in my 440.

Good luck finding a saw. I'd probably let that one go to.

Its actually not as big as you think.
Same bore as 046 just a bigger crank case and longer stroke.

They're very nice saws. I've never had a 064 but ran 064 in my 440.

Good luck finding a saw. I'd probably let that one go to.
Ah how interesting! Always great to know these things :) thanks for sharing. Glad you are in agreement that it was better to let it go!

Remember- this is only opinion- and my opinion at that!
But given our geographic advantage and low population, your chances of stumbling across a good OEM cylinder are pretty slim compared to those members that live over the other side of the Pacific salt bath.
For its age, it looks a tidy saw compared to some I see for sale here and wrecked 066,660 type saws still pull the same kind of money the Pawn shop is asking for this one.
Some people have had great success with certain Red Flag piston and cylinder kits and if it does crap out, replacements are not that dear- or you can take your time to find an OEM set on fleabay and import it to Aussie.
At the asking price now- you probably would not lose a lot of money on it if you decided to flick it because it was too big and too heavy for trimming up a few bits of Cherry limb.
Is it a Stihl bar and chain? What do they cost to replace in Aussie dollars? If that set is pretty good- factor that into the asking price- over here you would be spending near $200 for the bar and chain alone, so that gives you a $300 powerhead.
They are a good heavy pro saw- not anything like what you have been playing with and will probably scare the bejeebers out of you first time you run it- but it will make you smile as well!

Remember- this is only opinion- and my opinion at that!
But given our geographic advantage and low population, your chances of stumbling across a good OEM cylinder are pretty slim compared to those members that live over the other side of the Pacific salt bath.
For its age, it looks a tidy saw compared to some I see for sale here and wrecked 066,660 type saws still pull the same kind of money the Pawn shop is asking for this one.
Some people have had great success with certain Red Flag piston and cylinder kits and if it does crap out, replacements are not that dear- or you can take your time to find an OEM set on fleabay and import it to Aussie.
At the asking price now- you probably would not lose a lot of money on it if you decided to flick it because it was too big and too heavy for trimming up a few bits of Cherry limb.
Is it a Stihl bar and chain? What do they cost to replace in Aussie dollars? If that set is pretty good- factor that into the asking price- over here you would be spending near $200 for the bar and chain alone, so that gives you a $300 powerhead.
They are a good heavy pro saw- not anything like what you have been playing with and will probably scare the bejeebers out of you first time you run it- but it will make you smile as well!
Hey Bob!

great advice, it’s not OEM bar and chain, but all in good condition though, even rails on the bar and no dips or worn down areas. Slight bluing from over heating in a smal section, I’m not sure how much of a problem that is?

As fun as it was, it ran and sounded tired but my experience is very limited. It had fairly slow acceleration (although im use to the 180/260 feel that spools up very quick probably because of a smaller engine?) It just didn’t have a massive rev range, (older saw? Someone mentioned longer stroke earlier, could that play a part too?)

I have a feeling it’s a grunt monster with low end torque, low rev range etc. I don’t get that impression with the newer model larger saws like the 661 which spool fast, but still have lots of torque. Again new technology, shorter stroke, better tolerances?

Again if I’m wrong, excuse my inexperience!

not too sure, you guys who have run them may be able to help explain it to me!

thanks in advance

Hey Bob!

great advice, it’s not OEM bar and chain, but all in good condition though, even rails on the bar and no dips or worn down areas. Slight bluing from over heating in a smal section, I’m not sure how much of a problem that is?

As fun as it was, it ran and sounded tired but my experience is very limited. It had fairly slow acceleration (although im use to the 180/260 feel that spools up very quick probably because of a smaller engine?) It just didn’t have a massive rev range, (older saw? Someone mentioned longer stroke earlier, could that play a part too?)

I have a feeling it’s a grunt monster with low end torque, low rev range etc. I don’t get that impression with the newer model larger saws like the 661 which spool fast, but still have lots of torque. Again new technology, shorter stroke, better tolerances?

Again if I’m wrong, excuse my inexperience!

not too sure, you guys who have run them may be able to help explain it to me!

thanks in advance

Blued bar could mean oil delivery problems, or it could mean the operator held it a bit long and pushed a bit hard with a blunt chain in a chunk of dead dry Aussie gum tree........

The are not as "peppy" perhaps as the saws you are more used to but have gobs of torque, bit like the old Blue Flame motor, big stroke that just keeps on lugging.
If you were to equate these saws to a dirt bike- think XR 500 RB kind of vintage.
An 064 is not and never will be a 661- but then I know which I prefer (as do many loggers over here, they would rather be swinging an 066/660 than the new 661's.)

Blued bar could mean oil delivery problems, or it could mean the operator held it a bit long and pushed a bit hard with a blunt chain in a chunk of dead dry Aussie gum tree........

The are not as "peppy" perhaps as the saws you are more used to but have gobs of torque, bit like the old Blue Flame motor, big stroke that just keeps on lugging.
If you were to equate these saws to a dirt bike- think XR 500 RB kind of vintage.
An 064 is not and never will be a 661- but then I know which I prefer (as do many loggers over here, they would rather be swinging an 066/660 than the new 661's.)
ahhh yep great example. I get it, XR 500 that would just keep going and pulling, no race monkey, but not intended to be.

Buy it. They are awesome. One tank of bad gas can ruin shiz tons of 661 computer parts. It is worth every penny. It is more than a pound less than that 661 and less than a quarter the price. A four something saw is not really gonna spin a 32" bar like a saw should and this would. I love old saws after my 661 has cost me a small fortune. Do it do it it is the lightest big saw.

Buy it. They are awesome. One tank of bad gas can ruin shiz tons of 661 computer parts. It is worth every penny. It is more than a pound less than that 661 and less than a quarter the price. A four something saw is not really gonna spin a 32" bar like a saw should and this would. I love old saws after my 661 has cost me a small fortune. Do it do it it is the lightest big saw.
Thanks for the reply :) it’s just not worth that much money to me personally knowing that has a Chinese top end and AM bar, chain and sproket and I guarantee a Chinese carb or carb kit at the very least. I’d pay 500 for a non working / seized OEM top end, old stihl bar and a non working stihl carb and just clean it out and dress the bar and add metor piston, but I have a hate for Chinese parts. I have always been disappointed. From Chinese phone screens when I smashed mine which is junk to chainsaw parts, electronics etc, it’s just not worth the money to me, they are too much of a liability and frustration. In Australia we don’t have the used parts market that you guys have in the USA, and this saw won’t sell so I will continue to offer 200 AUD each month until they finally give in or I find something better. Then I’ll gradually replace the parts for OEM It’s no rush for me, I don’t need one or have a use for one, they are just a coool saw!

if I paid 500 aud for it, I’d pay 150 aud for a used stihl top end, probably have to replace the bearings, rubbers, lines, sprocket, carb kit, filters etc and that would cost me another 500. That means this saw will be in excess of 1100 dollars and it’s not worth it. I’d rather spend 600 Aud more and get the Stihl ms 500i brand new and save the ball ache!

Wise decision passing on that POS is just mutton dressed up as lamb Chinese cylinder/ top end lol
That's what some of the sketchy saw flippers do fix saw's with AM crap and sell to the uneducated.
It's not hard to get in too deep with Stihl saw's in AU with the prices they screw us with on parts.
If it was all OEM with a little clean up and some work it would probably bring $900 plus here in AU.

You would have to be a good salesmen to bring half that knowing it has a cheap AM topend the guy who put the top end on it may have gotten a sucker but does lightning strike twice? generally no especially if someone is a honest man...

Wise decision passing on that POS is just mutton dressed up as lamb Chinese cylinder/ top end lol
That's what some of the sketchy saw flippers do fix saw's with AM crap and sell to the uneducated.
It's not hard to get in too deep with Stihl saw's in AU with the prices they screw us with on parts.
If it was all OEM with a little clean up and some work it would probably bring $900 plus here in AU.

You would have to be a good salesmen to bring half that knowing it has a cheap AM topend the guy who put the top end on it may have gotten a sucker but does lightning strike twice? generally no especially if someone is a honest man...
Couldn’t agree more! Sadly now that saw doesn’t have a market. Collectors won’t pay because it has Chinese top end and loads of AM and someone who wants it to cut large wood wouldn’t rely on it out in the bush when you have to travel hours to get there and be concerned if it will fail on them. Arborists won’t touch it because they rely on an income and it’s far too old and not reliable. For a couple hundred I’d take it, but otherwise it’s an all around loss.

Couldn’t agree more! Sadly now that saw doesn’t have a market. Collectors won’t pay because it has Chinese top end and loads of AM and someone who wants it to cut large wood wouldn’t rely on it out in the bush when you have to travel hours to get there and be concerned if it will fail on them. Arborists won’t touch it because they rely on an income and it’s far too old and not reliable. For a couple hundred I’d take it, but otherwise it’s an all around loss.
You can't fault the pawnshop for wanting $500 for it as they think it's all the real deal as they are only going off what the guy that pawned it to them said lol
Keep at em if it don't sell after a month or two they may take you up on your offer...

Latest posts

Back