4 saw plan recommendations please

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Currently running 3 saw plan that has been great MS150tc for marking trunk and large limbs and for removing small limbs. 550xp 18 inch bar for most of limbing and cutting up large part of tree. ms500i with 28 inch light bar for felling and cutting up trunk and other big stuff.

Recently bought new 241cm with 16 inch light bar but have not picked it up yet after I read about them being great saws and no longer available. I figure I will use it for most of the stuff I used the 550xp for, but would like to get a saw in between it and the ms500i. Was thinking ms362cm or 562xp with 20 inch light bar. Then I would be 25/40/60/80cc. Looking mainly for lightweight pro saws with good power to weight ratio.

Would then sell the 550xp. The 60cc and the 241 would take its place and the 60cc would also be available for a 1 saw plan if needed.

Any thoughts? Was happy with my 3 saw plan, but brother in law started buying chainsaws and reactivated my CAD....

A 4 saw plan is not going to keep the chainsaw bug happy in the long run.... good luck with it :laughing:
25, 40, 60 and 80 sounds about perfect to me though, I'm at 26, 36, 50 and 78... the 78 I use for milling, I guess it reflects the size of wood here in my corner of the sphere.

RIMG0066.JPG
The smallest one I like to use when limbing storm felled spruce with its myriads of small branches.

Thanks for the input guys. Going to get a ms362cm with 20" light bar after doing some reading on here. 562xp is nice, but I've got a great stihl dealer in town. This will be a 4 saw stihl plan. I love the 550xp and think I might give it to my dad. It weighs about the same as his old husquvarna 445 and has a lot more power. I'll just have to make sure he does not run burnt motor oil for bar oil or use 10w-30 for pre mix. His 445 wasn't running right one day and I was helping him adjust the carb. Just couldn't get it to run right. Knowing him, I them asked how old the gas was and he said, "I just mixed it up." Knowing his past behavior, I asked what did you use? He used 10w-30 motor oil at 16:1 (like his 60yr old outboard motor used to use).
Put some fresh good gas in it, and it ran like a top.

I tell you what, this website is not for people trying to recover from CAD. It is for people in full blown active addiction. Would be like holding an Alcoholics Anonymous meeting at a bar, an Overeaters Anonymous meeting at Golden Corral, or a sex addiction workshop at a strip club.

But I don't have a problem. I can stop buying chainsaws anytime I want to.......I just don't want to...... right now. :crazy2:

A four saw plan will lead to a 12 saw plan.
I have 12 saw Homelite plan, a 12 saw Husqvarna plan, A 4 saw Stihl plan, and I still end up using the same 2-3 saws for my cutting.
Currently a 550xp, a 555 and 359. All have muffler mods.
But next year maybe I will want to use a 4 saw use plan with the Stihls. Or maybe the Homelites.
I like to have available options, life is full of choices, and no I have never sold a saw.

Your 3 saw plan needs a 4th, your 4 saw plan needs a backup. Like this:

4 saw plan:
150t, 550xp, 500i, 395xp

Backup saws:
Echo 2511t, 241, 7900, Another 395xp

You should probably get a 461 and a 372xpw as well.

Once you’re backed up, then get a 2260 and a 362.

I been laffin at this all day!

Remember, 12 is 1 and 4 is none.

Don’t forget I’m old school we’re bigger cc’s the better but the saw manufacturers are leaning towards the market demands of saws being lighter, more powerful in the mid sized class. The fine line between bigger is better is being overlapped between the smaller, lighter sizes now. It’s going to be interesting as what the future saw market will hold for us.

Don’t forget I’m old school we’re bigger cc’s the better but the saw manufacturers are leaning towards the market demands of saws being lighter, more powerful in the mid sized class. The fine line between bigger is better is being overlapped between the smaller, lighter sizes now. It’s going to be interesting as what the future saw market will hold for us.

The future is a 40cc top handle pulling a 36” full chisel with battery assist.

Four saw plan?

Two 372s. Or 461s. Or 572s. Or 441s. Or 462s. Or... Insert 70-80cc saw of your choice here. Probably running 28s or 32s.

Two 395s. Maybe 661s. Prefer the 395, it pulls long bars better. Probably run a three footer most of the time. Keep a 42 handy.

Go put some serious wood on the ground.

The future is a 40cc top handle pulling a 36” full chisel with battery assist.

The future is all electric, so you guys better start feeding the chainsaw bug while you still can...

Latest posts

Back