036 Backing Plate Upgrade

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sundance

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I'm going to do the clutch drum upgrade on my 036Proto the larger bearing. Plan to upgrade the backing plate at the same time. That leads to a couple questions:

1. Suggestions for removal of the clutch"
2. What is the re-install torque for the clutch"
3. Should I be changing springs in the clutch while it's apart?

Saw is 20 years old but not heavily used.
Thanks.

You asked about: Clutch re-install torque.

IMHO: (and what I do
I never sweat re-torqueing a chainsaw clutch because when you start cutting with the saw it will not loosen or come off, it is left threaded so as it won't come off due to cutting torque being applied to the clutch crankshaft threads. I just get it good and snug and put it to work.

Clutch springs replacement ?
If the clutch is operating normally, don't bother.

You asked about: Clutch re-install torque.

IMHO: (and what I do
I never sweat re-torqueing a chainsaw clutch because when you start cutting with the saw it will not loosen or come off, it is left threaded so as it won't come off due to cutting torque being applied to the clutch crankshaft threads. I just get it good and snug and put it to work.

Clutch springs replacement ?
If the clutch is operating normally, don't bother.

Okie, that matches my thoughts on torquing it back on.....seemed it would essentially self tighten. Just looking for some confirmation on my logic.

The clutch side is the only part on a saw I don’t use a torque wrench, simply because my torque wrenches only read torque when turned clockwise, which is loosening. Do you have one that reads going both clockwise and anti clockwise?

To be honest I haven't looked at them to see. Perhaps you're correct. Just thought I'd start with a goal in mind even if I have to wing it.

I did a 036 a while back

https://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/036-project.96696/page-2

1) I use rope for a piston stop, deep socket 3/8 breaker bar. Others use air impacts. If you use air impact leave spark plug in, if crank spins, clutch shoes will fly out a damage carrier/saw

2) M 12 X 1L carrier 50 Nm I use an old craftsman torque wrench

3) Replace springs and/or carrier if there is play

Back