Might Have a Good Lead On Some project Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Freudianfloyd

Clinically Diagnosed with CAD
Reaction score
The farmer that rents our pastures stopped by when I was tinkering in the garage. He was blown away by all the saws. He said he had no idea I had all that going on here. We then talked for hours about chainsaws and how several other farmers he knows toss saws in their barn when they dont run and go buy a new one. He said I bet I could find 5 right now.

He then asked if I could show him how to fix the one he has. And stuck around to talk about saws for the next two hours. And kept asking me to call him next time I tear I to one so he can see what is involved in it.

But he reiterated he would find me some saws, so good things may be coming.

They can’t use used parts so that means the mechanic is taking them home and probably selling them :baaa:
He said that some customers come in and dont want to spend money so they offer to use used parts. I dont know the legality of that. For all I know, they guy could be taking them home.

Just remember some saws are more valuable as spare hulks than as a whole runner: I used to take apart 80's vintage Echo and Alpina with nothing more than a scored piston or non-working oil pump because parts were more valuable than selling the saw as a whole. Ignition module, flywheel, carburetor, oil pump, clutch... there are always people out there looking for parts to finish a project saw or to fix their own long after spares have evaporated.

Regarding Stihl dealerships... I cannot give the full details but some dealers are allowed to keep non-runners to use as spare hulks. It's all a matter of money. ;)

I had a dealer that said they would lose their dealership if they sold junk saws. Every other dealer around me will sell used parts if they have them. They usually figure half the price of a new part it they are in good shape.

Latest posts

Back