Husqvarna 3120XP Questions.....

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sweden

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Looking at IPL from different years I understand the 3120xp had some changes and variations over the years it's been produced.

1. Since 1998 in the IPL they mention two models. 3120XP and 3120XP EPA. How do I know what model I have? I can't see any EPA on the saw, manual or papers. (On the original box is says it was for the Norwegian market. I live in Sweden)

2. IPL says EPA version have Walbro WG 7A carb and the normal XP have Walbro WG10. What is the difference between the two carburators? Different jet size? (1996 IPL says Walbro WG6, 1988 Walbro WG2)

3. Why did the rpm cutout change from 11000 rpm to 9800 rpm?

4. Any info about when production stopped in Sweden?

Because of emission regulations the 3120xp, 395xp and 390xp are not sold any more in Europe. Only existing stock is sold out. I don't think they are built any more in Sweden since late 2018. I live not too far from the factory but finding a 3120xp in Sweden was difficult. I was lucky and found a dealer in Denmark who had one in stock and for a good price.

I added some photos I hope you don't mind.

IMG_20200124_173302.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20200124_173402.jpg
    5.4 MB · Views: 15
  • IMG_20200125_214719.jpg
    6.2 MB · Views: 12
  • IMG_20200124_173458.jpg
    5.6 MB · Views: 13
  • IMG_20200124_173418.jpg
    5.4 MB · Views: 11
  • IMG_20200125_210604.jpg
    5.9 MB · Views: 10
You suck....JK jealous.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Great saw. I purchased mine new in 1998 and can probably count the number of times it has been run on my fingers. You need it for the big money cut but they just don’t grow trees that big anymore. I don’t think mine has run in half a decade. It sits and collects dust bunnies and mud wasp nests. Good conversation piece but reality, it is a gas hogg and pig heavy.

Rare beast, so nothing about them is certain. From what I have read, the very early models may or may not have come through with an adjustable carb. At some point max RPM was lowered reportedly to protect the crank.

I own 2 395xp, one for each hand. I would buy another 395xp. I have passed on numerous 3120(s) at bargain basement prices.

I Love my 3120XP, but since adding the 390XP and 395XP, the 3120 is pretty much just used for Milling, but it can't be beat in that use

thumbnail_IMG_2473.jpg

Alaskan Mill 3.jpg

Alaskan Mill 4.jpg

A bit of advice though, at least with my 3120XP, IGNORE the starting instruction in the owners manual. It does NOT like Choke AND Throttle lock.

What I found my 3120 to like when starting, is to set the choke, after about 3 pulls, she will snort, close, open then close the choke again, this will set the high idle, no choke, then 2-3 more pulls and it is waking up half the county.

Each saw can be a little different, so you may have to try a few different combinations to find what works for your saw, but once you know what it likes, it shouldn't be a hard starting saw

Doug :cheers:

I Love my 3120XP, but since adding the 390XP and 395XP, the 3120 is pretty much just used for Milling, but it can't be beat in that use

View attachment 792134

View attachment 792135

View attachment 792136

A bit of advice though, at least with my 3120XP, IGNORE the starting instruction in the owners manual. It does NOT like Choke AND Throttle lock.

What I found my 3120 to like when starting, is to set the choke, after about 3 pulls, she will snort, close, open then close the choke again, this will set the high idle, no choke, then 2-3 more pulls and it is waking up half the county.

Each saw can be a little different, so you may have to try a few different combinations to find what works for your saw, but once you know what it likes, it shouldn't be a hard starting saw

That is some beautiful timber there

What's the plan for it? Lovely color cedar mmm

Probably Coffee table, I still have about 6 or 7 Cedar Logs that are 20-26" /6-8' long that I want to try and build some half log Picnic tables out of as well.

We had 3 Medium to Large Cedars 85-110' Tall and a medium Douglas Fir, about 80' tall removed. All the D Fir, and about 1 1/4 cord of Cedar went into the woodstove.

Probably Coffee table, I still have about 6 or 7 Cedar Logs that are 20-26" /6-8' long that I want to try and build some half log Picnic tables out of as well.

We had 3 Medium to Large Cedars 85-110' Tall and a medium Douglas Fir, about 80' tall removed. All the D Fir, and about 1 1/4 cord of Cedar went into the woodstove.

Nice man very nice. Wouldn't mind getting into milling 1 day there can be money in it. Get alot of macrocarpa here (cypress) and people love it for tables and things

From the few husky's I've worked on ...The EPA version is probably where the adjustment needles have the plastic limiters and the associated parts.
A close look at both the IPL will show the differences...possibly a lower compression piston or cheaper clutch. such as 261EPA vs 262XP

Nice man very nice. Wouldn't mind getting into milling 1 day there can be money in it. Get alot of macrocarpa here (cypress) and people love it for tables and things

I haven't sold much yet, I came home and found a note on one of the logs that I had halved, called them back and sold them 5 slabs 20-28" wide, 5-7' long and 2.5" thick for $250, probably less than I should have sold them for, but they expressed an interest in more in the future, it was yard wood,, and I'm still learning, so I got paid to practice.

End of the day, we were all Happy with what we got, everybody went home Smiling.:):)

My neighbor has a Large Maple, that double trunks about 28" diameter stems, but below the fork is probably around 3.5'x 5', He has talked about cutting it down, and maybe having me slab up the lower trunk into oval cookies for Table Tops, maybe some other lumber out of the double trunks, and me keeping the firewood and splitting the Table Tops and lumber. Right across the street, makes it pretty convenient.

That is shame that all that is going into the woodshed.

Be WARNED, if you thinnk that CAD is an Issue, CSMAD, is everything that CAD is, and MORE;)

Well that's a great outcome and very handy on the nabours wood too hopefully he goes through with it.

Yes is a shame I know I had about half a dozen of them all gone to a dozen or more wood sheds around the circle was the 1st trees I ever dropped well decent size trees anyway. Just watched alot of Billy ray.

The biggest hurdle is a big saw to mill with the poor old mac would be on borrowed time if I put her to work on that

Looking at IPL from different years I understand the 3120xp had some changes and variations over the years it's been produced.

1. Since 1998 in the IPL they mention two models. 3120XP and 3120XP EPA. How do I know what model I have? I can't see any EPA on the saw, manual or papers. (On the original box is says it was for the Norwegian market. I live in Sweden)

2. IPL says EPA version have Walbro WG 7A carb and the normal XP have Walbro WG10. What is the difference between the two carburators? Different jet size? (1996 IPL says Walbro WG6, 1988 Walbro WG2)

3. Why did the rpm cutout change from 11000 rpm to 9800 rpm?

4. Any info about when production stopped in Sweden?

Because of emission regulations the 3120xp, 395xp and 390xp are not sold any more in Europe. Only existing stock is sold out. I don't think they are built any more in Sweden since late 2018. I live not too far from the factory but finding a 3120xp in Sweden was difficult. I was lucky and found a dealer in Denmark who had one in stock and for a good price.

I added some photos I hope you don't mind.

View attachment 791896

Here in the U.S. the last 10 years or more (20 years?)the saws have been the EPA model. EPA is "Environmental Protection Agency" a U.S. government agency with control over such things. I don't know what Husqvarna sells in other markets but I suppose that they sell some U.S. certified models into other markets. Especially so the models that are not made in large quantities.

I modded mine with an unlimited coil and a carb mod with an adjustable high speed screw. As far as I know the old carb on the first model of the saw had an adjustable screw and the higher RPM limit.

You certainly need a screw adjustable carb if you run the saw faster than the stock limited coil allows. A modified 3120 is wonderful milling saw, but hard to manage for falling just because of the weight.

Great saw. I purchased mine new in 1998 and can probably count the number of times it has been run on my fingers. You need it for the big money cut but they just don’t grow trees that big anymore. I don’t think mine has run in half a decade. It sits and collects dust bunnies and mud wasp nests. Good conversation piece but reality, it is a gas hogg and pig heavy.

Here in Australia a 3120 is still a very viable saw, i wish i could find a decent one at a bargin basement price. :)

Now that they have the gear to handle decent sized timber my friends always take an 090 or 084 out when we do firewood.
As we cut hardwood 100% of the time the 90cc range saws run a 24 or 25" bars with full chains. They do most of the work but we still get trunk sections at 3" +.

I’m eyeballing one now, I am curious as to the Oiler lever that clearly looks like you can pump more oil than the pump itself while cutting. This is a great feature for milling!

the non adjustable carb I don’t like, how do you get away milling in -20C? Can the stock jet handle it? I doubt it.
I could probably get my hand on a DMS drill kit and drill it out if I did get this saw but that’s only good for winter...
I’ll have to do some more searching for adding an adjustable high jet, or maybe order a non EPA carb?

Good luck finding a stock adjustable carb, pretty rare as I understand it. Some 3120s had a primer bulb instead of the choke as well. The wg10 I had on a 5 cube play saw was delivering waaaay too much fuel, ended up soldering main nozzle shut and then drilling it out smaller.

How do you modify one to accept an adjustable needle?
I found a thread but the links in it were dead
Good luck finding a stock adjustable carb, pretty rare as I understand it. Some 3120s had a primer bulb instead of the choke as well. The wg10 I had on a 5 cube play saw was delivering waaaay too much fuel, ended up soldering main nozzle shut and then drilling it out smaller.

Back