Small saw noodling

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Welderman85

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hello I'm very new to saws and wood cutting. I cut wood to heat in my insert. My mom has a big maple that she is having dropped and leaving the wood for me. My problem is the base if the tree theres about a 5 foot tall section that is around 3 across. What's the best way to get it into smaller pieces. Noodling, ripping? That brings my to my next dilemma saws. I currently have two moded 42cc plastic poulans and a stihl 211c. I have been looking at bigger saws but it's not in the cards currently.

Rent a a big saw if you can find that in your area. Find a friend with a big saw. A member on here willing to help.

Otherwise you need to start noodling it into blocks. Its a lot of work sometimes.

Sent while firmly grasping my redline lubed RAM [emoji231]

As a guy who wrenches on saws more then I use them I find most burnt up saws I fix are little saws used for big work.

When noodling with a saw you are exposing the saw to heavy loads amd long cuts which means heat. Heat kills saws.

Bigger saws take noodling without missing a beat as they do the work fast and dont get hot doing it..

I'd rent a big saw or swing my axe before noodling with a small saw.

What's easier to split oaknor maple
Straight grained oak, but maple is pretty easy too, yard trees can be harder, all alone without other trees around they grow some weird grain patterns. Species will make a difference too. You won’t know till you try, and if your not chasing the big ones all the time, beg, borrow or rent a splitter or big saw if they can’t be split by hand.

Its funny caus e the oak and the maple here split nice.

The worst wood to split is my pine trees from the shelter belt around my property. That stuff has wavy grain and tons of knots, it holds together really well even when seasoned and frozen.

Hello I'm very new to saws and wood cutting. I cut wood to heat in my insert. My mom has a big maple that she is having dropped and leaving the wood for me. My problem is the base if the tree theres about a 5 foot tall section that is around 3 across. What's the best way to get it into smaller pieces. Noodling, ripping? That brings my to my next dilemma saws. I currently have two moded 42cc plastic poulans and a stihl 211c. I have been looking at bigger saws but it's not in the cards currently.
Where you at, should be some members in the area.
Edit.
Just remembered, Chesaning.

Were are you in Michigan?

Plenty of us around.

Chipper and i will help out for a low low fee of one pickup full each [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Just kidding.[emoji6]

Small saws especially plastic clamshells will die very very quickly if you use it to noodle big woods. They cant hold that constant cutting and the heat produced noodling is crazy, even the big saws struggle on long bar noodling hard wood

Small saws especially plastic clamshells will die very very quickly if you use it to noodle big woods. They cant hold that constant cutting and the heat produced noodling is crazy, even the big saws struggle on long bar noodling hard wood
Maybe you could hook the OP up with a nice big echo for noodling:chainsaw:.

Id help but im in bum ****ed alabama.

Sounds like you need a new saw to me, id find a blown 70cc saw and rebuild it. Stihl or husqvarna it dont matter both are mighty fine saws and will last you a lifetime.

Id help but im in bum ****ed alabama.

Sounds like you need a new saw to me, id find a blown 70cc saw and rebuild it. Stihl or husqvarna it dont matter both are mighty fine saws and will last you a lifetime.
Just met a guy this morning from Bama, came over with another member to buy a saw :).

@Jkstihl and @LonestarStihl

We can car pool guys! Meet me in michigan and we will go get chipper[emoji1303][emoji41]

[emoji23][emoji23]

Don’t play with my heart [emoji23] I enjoy a good road trip. I’ll hook up to the fifth wheel and we can roll!!! Might be a lonely trip for me for a bit but it’ll pan out [emoji4]

Tree will be bucked and split in 30 min between us all then we can get a beer or 3[emoji1303][emoji41]

Latest posts

Back