4 saw plan recommendations please

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When electric becomes an effective and economic option, I’ll implement it. It’s not now. I couldn’t see a big cordless impact gun ten years ago either. Now I have half and one inch M18 impacts that live in the truck now with appropriate sockets and the wrenches to back those bolts and I don’t have to haul out an air compressor and run air hoses for every breakdown. I can do a lot more work out of the back of the 3/4 or one ton where otherwise we would have had to pull the tool trailer or bring out the service truck.

Now, top handle and long bar sounds like a bad idea on general principle.

When electric becomes an effective and economic option, I’ll implement it. It’s not now. I couldn’t see a big cordless impact gun ten years ago either. Now I have half and one inch M18 impacts that live in the truck now with appropriate sockets and the wrenches to back those bolts and I don’t have to haul out an air compressor and run air hoses for every breakdown. I can do a lot more work out of the back of the 3/4 or one ton where otherwise we would have had to pull the tool trailer or bring out the service truck.

Now, top handle and long bar sounds like a bad idea on general principle.

I'll agree, they're a nice addition, but I'm not throwing out my pneumatic guns either. Up here in the north country a lot of guys are giving up their two-stroke gas ice-augers and running cordless hammer drills on their hand augers. I'll keep my gasser around until it's not worth fixing, and maybe I'll switch over at that point.

My 4 saw plan lately is

200t, 562, 044 and my 394.

Aint nothing I cant cut with those 4.

The 044 gets substituted in the summer for my 365 or 576 depending on my mood..

I will probably run my 266, 268 and 272 a lot in the coming year so I'm sure the plan will change.

562 gets run the most, like I can't beleive I'm running a little whimpy 60cc over my 70cc stuff.

Maybe in Norway, but us American's will give them up about the same time we turn in our guns.

Of course - that's everyone's opinion, but you American's don't make Stihl or Husky now do yah! :) That's Europa territory. EU an all that... 0 emissions by 2050.
Don't you worry, China will probably continue making parts with their excellent quality to keep your sons and daughters alive :laughing:

Of course - that's everyone's opinion, but you American's don't make Stihl or Husky now do yah! :) That's Europa territory. EU an all that... 0 emissions by 2050.
Don't you worry, China will probably continue making parts with their excellent quality to keep your sons and daughters alive :laughing:

That's just American capitalism at work; find who's better at making something and ALLOW them to do it. We'll create the greatest demand for it and just buy it. The EU emissions ban; that includes cows and people, right? Just funnin' ya' friend. ;)

Back in the 80’s I had a 2100cd professional, a 2101 Xp, a 266se, a 240sg professional. The 2101xp was more backup. Usage wise the 266se seen more use. Weight wasn’t the factor with the 2100’s it was the size of the trees.

Today’s factors are more power and less weight.?

Back in the 80’s I had a 2100cd professional, a 2101 Xp, a 266se, a 240sg professional. The 2101xp was more backup. Usage wise the 266se seen more use. Weight wasn’t the factor with the 2100’s it was the size of the trees.

Basically what development is seeking is generally better efficiency; like the same power at less weight - using less fuel and producing less emissions, causing less planet havoc... for example.
Or perhaps; just a little less power, at just a little more weight... but sustainable. After all - what do you need chainsaws for anyway when your planet has become recycled?

I have a couple of saws I didn't have in my picture, because it is a 4 saw thread.
One of them is a 220v wall outlet Husky 2kw saw (probably designed and made by Makita) with a 16" bar, I use it a lot after the felling season because I get a couple of tractor loads of wood on to my lawn.
It's no fun at all - all work, but it is extremely practical, cuts like butter through anything like a diesel engine and it don't disturb my neighbors too much.
Those things matters also, to me at least.

If I'm still alive and healthy enough to cut firewood in 2050, I'll consider it a blessing and use whatever's still available from whoever's manufacturing it.

My 4 saw line up as of now(since I down graded quite a bit in the recent years).
MS 170 with 14” bar for small yard work
MS 461 with 20” bar used the most
MS 461 with 25” bar used the 2nd most
MS 461 with 32” bar used very little

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don’t really get the whole 3-saw plan, 4-saw plan, thing. I just take 2-3 saws with me when I go to cut wood. That way I have an extra saw to get the first one out of a bind or a backup in case my first has a problem. Trying to think of some ideal mix of saws in different size classes just seems kind of silly.

Buy good saws when you have the money and when you get a good deal. Once you get dozen or so, upgrade the bars or the saws as opportunity presents itself.

Port the 550! I loved my 362 until I ported my 550. I have a 372 with 20" bar, 372 with 24" bar, 346 and 550 with 20" bars in the truck all the time. When I need it, I bring the 066 with 36" bar or top handle saw. The 362 rarely comes out these days.

Got any pics of the boat you were anchoring ?

My four saws:
Echo CS352
MS 241CM
MS 362CM
MS 460

The Echo and 241 wear 16" bars. The Echo is used for brush cutting. The 241 for small trees and limbing. The 241 is a great little saw.
The 362 wears an 18" bar though 20" would work to. It can run a 24" bar if I have to but it's slow. It's used for medium sized trees.
I have 24" and 32" bars for the 460. It's used for the big stuff. Fortunately it's rare to need the 32" bar as that's a little long for that saw at least in my wood.

If I'd planned it out from the beginning I could have made it a three saw plan with the echo or a small battery saw, 261 and 462CM (or 500i when it's available here).

Back