Your Experience 500i & 661

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Since playing around with a 064 I got a buzz that was infectious with larger saws. I can only compare it to holding a 2 stroke motocross bike and the 50cc’s are like holding a buzzing fly and doesn’t have that same adrenaline rush / excitement.

I have always been interested in the 500i, but really, it seems from everything I can see, it’s just an improved 462?

the 661 is in another class of power. Is this a fair assessment?

mig anyone has used both I’d love to hear your experience and thoughts?

462 and 500 have completely different running characteristics. 462 shines with a shorter bar and the 500 likes longer bars. 462 was actually faster than the 500 in 24” wood.
661 is pretty level-headed across the bar range. Considerably heavier than the other 2 also
How interesting!! Thanks for sharing your experience!!

Only buy the MS500i if you have a Stihl dealership nearby that works on M-Tronic and FI: this is not because they are unreliable but because if you haven't the training and tooling a twenty minute job can turn into a nightmare.
I am lucky enough the head of maintenance at our Stihl dealership loves M-Tronic and FI, but there are plenty of oldtimers out there who don't trust either and will dump you in the cold when you need them the most.

Only buy the MS500i if you have a Stihl dealership nearby that works on M-Tronic and FI: this is not because they are unreliable but because if you haven't the training and tooling a twenty minute job can turn into a nightmare.
I am lucky enough the head of maintenance at our Stihl dealership loves M-Tronic and FI, but there are plenty of oldtimers out there who don't trust either and will dump you in the cold when you need them the most.
Honestly I’m leaning towards the 661 because if it’s capacity (that I don’t need of course) and power (that I don’t need of course)

As for working on it, I’m fairly new to it but I have rebuilt a couple of saws from the ground up, just the ms 260 & ms 180. So I’m no expert, and never worked on m-tronic, but willing to learn!

462 and 500 have completely different running characteristics. 462 shines with a shorter bar and the 500 likes longer bars. 462 was actually faster than the 500 in 24” wood.
the 500i is supposed to do 0-60 in 0.250 sec. Err...umm..If that one particular saw makes '60'. For the most part from what I've seen, most 500 have snappy exeleration. It must be drownding and not utilizing all it's power?

Personally I'd run a 390xp and a 395xp before you go making up your mind. If you liked the way an 064 sounded, you'll have feelings for the 395 I think. They're also cheaper than the Stihls with better aftermarket support, plus you can buy parts online.

Umfortunatly Tom seems to only look at Stihls, I'm not sure if its local availability or he just likes stihls.

I was a Stihl only guy for about 10 years, stihls are the most common saws here.

I tried a husqvarna 266 one day and now I pretty much only run huskies not cause I'm a diehard but because they are good saw.

I find huskies are cheaper to buy, cheaper and easier to fix and bring big power to the table.

Its too bad people are brand loyal cause they miss out on good stuff..

I think a 390, 394 or 395 are the best 90cc class saws made period.

Umfortunatly Tom seems to only look at Stihls.

I was a Stihl only guy for about 10 years. Then I tried a husqvarna and now I pretty much only run huskies.

I find huskies are cheaper to buy, cheaper and easier to fix and bring big power to the table.

Its too bad people are brand loyal cause they miss out on good stuff..

I think a 390, 394 or 395 are the best 90cc class saws made period.. my 394 will out cut my buddies 880 in any wood we have here.

Pretty much same story here. Grew up on Stihls. That's all we used doing tree work at 3 different companies I worked for too. Then a ported 350/346 came my way. Now it's pretty much all Huskies for me. Have an 036 that my dad bought new plus a parts saw for it. And a nice matched set of 044/440s, but otherwise, I don't sell them out.

I had a ported 660 and it was a fun saw, but man did that thing vibrate! Traded it off for a ported 395. Man, this 395 will pull a 36" bar with an 8 pin rim, and it doesn't mind you pulling on the handle either. Also, it's smooth as silk compared to the 660.

the 500i is supposed to do 0-60 in 0.250 sec. Err...umm..If that one particular saw makes '60'. For the most part from what I've seen, most 500 have snappy exeleration. It must be drownding and not utilizing all it's power?
They’re snappy. I believe it’s from the injector being only 1/2” or so from the piston skirt.
Not sure why theirs is rich. The ones I’ve done seemed to act normal

Pretty much same story here. Grew up on Stihls. That's all we used doing tree work at 3 different companies I worked for too. Then a ported 350/346 came my way. Now it's pretty much all Huskies for me. Have an 036 that my dad bought new plus a parts saw for it. And a nice matched set of 044/440s, but otherwise, I don't sell them out.

I had a ported 660 and it was a fun saw, but man did that thing vibrate! Traded it off for a ported 395. Man, this 395 will pull a 36" bar with an 8 pin rim, and it doesn't mind you pulling on the handle either. Also, it's smooth as silk compared to the 660.

Yeah my 394 is so smooth its crazy. And it was made in 1994 so its old..

My buddy paid $300 bucks for it with a 36" bar and chain. If a 660 or 066 comes for sale here its $600-$800 bucks..

I dont get that cause honestly even if the 660 was slightly faster (which its not) or a bunch lighter (which again its not) the price difference between a used 660 and a 395 or 394 would more then make up for that.

Guys just like what they like, thats why I tend to sell stihls cause I can buy 2 huskies for the price of 1 stihl lol..

For the record my 044 is a damn good saw and ill keep that one forever cause its just so good.

Or maybe Ill sell it cause I could almost buy 2 used 372s for the price I'd get for my 044.

Back