044 clutch side seal

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ents

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Trying to replace clutch side seal on 044. Buggered up 2 seals so far. I don't see how that seal will go over what it's suppose to go over. Is this bearing sitting too high. I can see the seal going over the soft shoulder but it's buried in the bearing. Thoughts??

IMG_0933.JPG

Thanks and have a great day.

Fred

Did you replace the bearings as well?

when replacing the bearing on that side, use the oil pump as a stop, which will set the bearing in place.

Looks like the bearing needs to be pressed in more to me?

This saw is an auction find from yrs. ago. I never ran it and this is the first time tearing into it. Failed compression big time. This side seal was the tell, leaked like it wasn't there.

I'm assuming this means I have to break down this saw and replace the bearings??? Nervous on that since never did that. I don't think I can just seat that bearing farther into the crank case??

Anybody have a picture of what a good clutch side bearing/seal should look like?

Hope all is well,

Fred

No 044 guru here. I've got 044 and 046 carcasses to play with though so been reading the threads.

There was a thread a while back concerning positioning the bearing. Method was to use a junk oil pump and a drift to seat bearing, then check crank center.

Looks pretty dirty in there!
If it was my saw, I would take it apart and do a proper reassembly after cleaning & inspecting everything, but that's just me.

Easy to find YouTube instructions if you are not familiar how to do it.

Here is a question.

If you are replacing the PTO/clutch seal can you do it without the sleeve installed, then sneak the sleeve in without messing up the seal?

Again, I've not wrenched these yet.

Yes, and add some grease to the inside of the sleeve to stop the built-in leak!

Perfect picture.
Always forget about that o ring!
So did some versions have the o-ring and others not? I am thinking that it was eliminated at some point. My later 044 didn't have the o-ring (or I didn't notice that it was missing when I rebuilt the saw.

Back