Woodmaster 5500 Tem. Issue

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

prock

Reaction score
Brand New to the Forum. Thanks for all the great info so far.......

9 Year old Woodmaster 5500. I am the 2nd owner and on my 4th year burning. I heat 5000 square feet with radiant floor heating and my hot water tank. The previous 3 years I have had no issues. My inside oil boiler never turns on.This year the temperature going through my inside oil boiler reads 140 when the ODB is set at 180. My house is warm, but when the hot water calls the inside boiler kicks on for 2 min or so. I have 90 feet of thermopex under ground and another 70 foot non insulated run inside before it hits the heat exchange. I measure 122 degrees on the outside of my pex just before the heat exchange. It has been like this all season. Barely Keeping up.

I am unable to find 180 degrees at the OWB. I found 165 on the metal above the circulator. I opened the drain and got 158. My outdoor boiler has never been cleaned of creosote until recently. I have been scraping and super heating with cardboard to clean it out. I have pulled the handle out and twisted ccw to to pull it out more to clean the ash. I am confident I have cleaned a lot of the creosote out. No change in temp.

I am not burning as much wood in the past. I realize in upstate NY the temp has been mild this year, but I am not burning enough. Last year I did 15 cord burning for 5 months. This year 3 months burning I have used maybe 3-4 cord. I notice the blowers kick on like ever 30 min. Years past it was more like 15 on a cold day.

What I have replaced:

New Taco 2400 WB circulator on back of OWB
New Temp Sensor OWB
Cleaned the heck out of it.

Inside I have replaced the main circulator connected to the inside boiler that runs to the heat exchange.

Whats next?

That is a long long time to go without cleaning a boiler. I suspect maybe there are areas that are still dirty. Can't say much more, have no experience with that boiler.

Any change in your wood this year? Quality & dryness....

Latest posts

Back