Your Experience 500i & 661

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You ever run a ported and well tuned 70cc saw youl be disappointed with your heavy slow cutting 90cc saw. Unless all your wood has 32" bar cutting to the tip. Even then my vote goes to the 70cc.
Youl then be fighting chip clog more than lack of power.

You could spend 300 in 70cc porting and be money saved over getting a 90cc saw that brings nothing to table for wood size youl be cutting slower packing around more weight.

However you could gear up and run a short bar on 90cc to keep up with 70cc in smaller 24" wood.

That’s in great condition just down the road from me
i see you have both, would you say the 661 is a better saw all round? I’d happily
Get the 661 but haven’t seen any for sale other than at my dealer, but I can get one from them for 1700 ish and get a 4 year warranty if i buy the oil from them, but if I can go second hand good condition 660 like this appears then I’ll check it out for sure.

For occasional use, I'd rather have the 660 than a 661. If you're using it every day and making money with it, the extra creature comforts, power, and price of the 661 pencil out. Otherwise, stick with old school power.
Thanks for the advice :) just your average joe here who has the beginnings of CAD wanting saws he doest need.

That looks like a great saw, I’d say go for it.

We all argue about which brand/ model/colour is better, and there are definitely good and bad out there, but with pro saws the differences are so minimal as to be almost irrelevant.

Keeping healthy, strong and un-rushed has way more impact than the real world difference between a 066 and a 395xp etc, yet we all go out and drink/eat the wrong stuff and work through dehydration.

That looks like a great saw, I’d say go for it.

We all argue about which brand/ model/colour is better, and there are definitely good and bad out there, but with pro saws the differences are so minimal as to be almost irrelevant.

Keeping healthy, strong and un-rushed has way more impact than the real world difference between a 066 and a 395xp etc, yet we all go out and drink/eat the wrong stuff and work through dehydration.
That’s so perfectly put, thanks for the reminder :)

The thing you will discover, is your supposed love affair with the orange and grey comes with a price tag when you want to step up to the big leagues.
Straight gassed homeowner models are dime a dozen- you have discovered that already, but pro saws over here in the good part of the World are not as thick on the ground and still command good money.
Beaters this side of the ditch, if complete easily sell for $500 and well used average saws $1000+.
The no to Husqvarna is just a child of ignorance of the brand, bit like driving a Volvo or a Mercedes- both are good well built European engineering.

It would possibly be easier for you to step into the pro saw arena with an older 2 series Husqvarna over there, or a 70-80cc Stihl likes of the 440-460 size. Then keep looking for an o64-066 to build if you must have one.
The 044 up to 460, 0r 262 up to 288 would fill a huge and obvious gap in what you currently own and the models you are lusting over that started this thread- neither of which you need to drop that much of your spare cash on to fill the big saw gap- the 661 C-M and 500i are a lot of Aussie small change.

You ever run a ported and well tuned 70cc saw youl be disappointed with your heavy slow cutting 90cc saw. Unless all your wood has 32" bar cutting to the tip. Even then my vote goes to the 70cc.
Youl then be fighting chip clog more than lack of power.

You could spend 300 in 70cc porting and be money saved over getting a 90cc saw that brings nothing to table for wood size youl be cutting slower packing around more weight.

However you could gear up and run a short bar on 90cc to keep up with 70cc in smaller 24" wood.
Just one wrinkle in that analysis. Aussie gum trees are dense sons of biartches.

The thing you will discover, is your supposed love affair with the orange and grey comes with a price tag when you want to step up to the big leagues.
Straight gassed homeowner models are dime a dozen- you have discovered that already, but pro saws over here in the good part of the World are not as thick on the ground and still command good money.
Beaters this side of the ditch, if complete easily sell for $500 and well used average saws $1000+.
The no to Husqvarna is just a child of ignorance of the brand, bit like driving a Volvo or a Mercedes- both are good well built European engineering.

It would possibly be easier for you to step into the pro saw arena with an older 2 series Husqvarna over there, or a 70-80cc Stihl likes of the 440-460 size. Then keep looking for an o64-066 to build if you must have one.
The 044 up to 460, 0r 262 up to 288 would fill a huge and obvious gap in what you currently own and the models you are lusting over that started this thread- neither of which you need to drop that much of your spare cash on to fill the big saw gap- the 661 C-M and 500i are a lot of Aussie small change.
His first husqvarna saw should be a 2100 with .404 32/36" bar and the rakers dropped. Don't need no flashy, high-revving electronic piss-revver when you've got the real-deal smooth torque that just won't give up. That was my first try of a husky. So smooth so no-BS, the big don't-argue saw. Got offered the saw for IIRC $300 but didn't have the cash so a mate in Oz snapped it up and I sent it to him. Was sad to see it go - biggest saw regret to date.

Back