Fill me in on CAD...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There are several stages of CAD. You may not get the stages in the same order as other members do. Just go with the flow of what you feel you need and get rid of the bug.

Before I found this place I always cut a little wood each year to fuel my fireplace and wood burning sauna. Plus ran saws to keep a series of ATV and hiking trails open.

Here was my progression. The process has taken me 10 years because I did spend a couple stints working out of town and was not running saws much. Also when I got Lyme's disease I slimmed down my collection from about 40 runners/10 projects to about 2 runners/5 projects.

1) I have several older saws, I need a new saw. Question to group: What saw should I get?
2) Ok now I want a second new saw, what model would compliment my current saw?
3) OMG, I need to sell all of my homeowner grade saws and get professional grade saws.
4) Pro saws are fun but I also want to work on saws. (Acquires an older saw and spend way too much to get it running)
5) A saw of every cc class from 30-90 CC. Also lots of bar and chain selections.
6) Time to port my main saws, which saw builder should I choose?
7) More and more project saws (still spending too much to get them running but not as bad as #4)
8) More ported saws. Also modifying homeowner grade saws to get them to run like a pro saw.
9) I had better do muffler mods and timing advances to the saws that aren't ported.
10) More project saws (acquired cheaply so you can sell for a small profit if needed)
11) Look for saw makes/models that others do not have so you can test them out
12) Realizing that at some point between step 2 and 8 you owned every saw you needed (and probably have sold them)
13) Acquire intriguing saws that you can buy for cheap locally just because they are there.
14) Seek out specific saw families for future saw builds because you like their performance and are familiar with fixing them.

I am currently in stages 13 and 14.

A lot of guys get the bug to port their own saws somewhere in the single digits. I am not there yet.

Most important suggestions: Just make sure you do not spend too much on any one saw. You should be able to sell any saw for even money (at worst). Do not buy a new saw for retail as you can always find one for less somewhere. Also if you plan to port a saw, understand that you will never get your $$ out of it.

I got burned out bad. Need to sell sell sell, and get a "big one" I can use, preferably with a D009 mount because Ive bought bars for it.
I hear that. I cannot tell you how many times I have sold bars/chains for a specific mount and then the very next saw I acquired needed the bar and chain I just sold.

I finally broke down and bought a bunch of bar adaptors from Homelite410. Going forward every large mount saw I own will be using a Stihl mount bar and the respective adaptor. Now when I get a new bar it will always be a Stihl mount and I only need to enlargen the adjuster holes to fit the larger pins on Homelite, Husky, etc.

I like gettimg saws that I can actually use, so no really old one's. Grew up on a Mac, so I lean that way. Also have Poulans, homies, a couple of stihls, huskies, and a shindaiwa. :confused::p
I get most of mine from mower shops that dont throw anything away. Kinda hard to find around here. Last "honey hole" has been picked clean of 10 series Macs and 3000 series Poulans, so now I need a new "pusher" to feed the habit.

I don't have it bad yet.

I've ran other people's saws for years and years. Basically I was helping them, so I used their equipment. So I've run everything from old Homelites, to Poulans, to newer Stihl home owner saws, couple older and newer huskys, some Craftsman, and a Mac or two. I kick myself now because I never really appreciated them for what they were. Some of them were really cool vintage saws.

I started doing maple syrup quite a while back and needed a saw as I boil with wood. I've always been a 'buy the best you can afford' type of guy so I started researching saws, decided on a 261c. Went to my one of my local dealers and they wouldn't swap out the 16" bar for the 18" that I wanted. Went to another, they did exactly that for me. So I bought some other stuff from them and kept drooling over the 462 and 661 on their shelf. Knowing that both were WAYY too much saw for my needs.

I muffler modded my 261 and re-set the Mtronic.

Then I started doing some tree work for friends/family. Climbing came in(don't get me started on climbing equipment acquisition disease....) so I got a top handle Echo CS355T. I wanted a 200T real bad but the prices were nuts and I figured I wasn't going to use it a whole bunch like I did the 261. I'm looking for a used 200T or maybe a 201T to replace the echo at this point.

Doing tree work I realized quickly the 261 wasn't ideal for falling or bucking big stuff. So I got a pretty good deal on a 462 with a 28" bar from a member here. Then I got a 32" Tsumura from a member here. Then I got a 28" Tsumura and sold the 28" Stihl bar....

Now I want a 661...and a 395...and an Alaskan mill...and a few older saws to wrench on and possibly try porting....and a chain grinder............

Nah...I don't have it bad yet.

It got me after restoring a Mall GP like my dad used to use. Then I was intrigued by the different designs and engineering, then looking at changes in different models, like changing from float carbs to diaphragm carbs. As already said, it keeps me out of trouble and I get to make noise. I've sold a couple resto's to make money and room for more.

Damn a 5200 I would love to own one...
Yes I should say for used saws I have no strategy, when I have the $ I look in the classifieds online and of anything older than what’s currently available new on the market, strikes my interest.
For collecting I am more interested in poulan and mcculloch, if it runs I will most likely buy it. I usually don’t spend more than 150 on those.
However if it were a big bore 80cc+ or a 5200 I would be prepared to spend much more to get one.
If your looking for vintage the poulan a IMO are the easiest to work on and have the most parts available, they seem to be the most popular brand for homeowner back in the 80’s.

Right now however I’m currently eyeballing the 3120xp and a dealer quoted me 1249 new for it. If the deal is still avail I am gonna jump on it
Brent, the only way you are going to survive this is change your strategy. Last year I bought a Homelite Super 1050 with full wrap 100CC, for $40, a Super XL925 82CC for $10, My wife just picked up a Mac 200 80CC in NC for $35, complete bar chain, runs. Go cheap brother, go cheap!

The things that drives my addiction is the thrill of the chase. I am always looking for a Husqvarna 2 series or blue Makita that is priced low for it's condition. The problem is, once I acquire these saws I become attached to them. I repair them, clean them, turn them into nice looking and running saws and I can't bear to see them leave the nest lol. I have no desire to buy any new saws - they don't grab my attention in any way really. Where is the challenge in walking into a store and buying something off the shelf? I did buy a Muruyama MCV51 a few years ago when they were cheap in a moment of weakness, but that saw does get used and it impresses me, so it will stay here as well hahaha.

If all goes well, I will be picking up 27 - 2 and 3 series Husqvarnas this coming weekend. They are complete non-runners an old dealer had been hoarding until he passed away. That is going to force me to address my refusal to sell saws.

We'll see how it goes... :envy::crazy::confused::eek:

I collect on one model, all the other saws I either keep them for awhile or I sell them asap. 346, 550 doesnt stay long nor do 357. While there isnt much to earn on 550 & 357 the same cant be said about 346 & 353, they always provide me with earning.

I found out one of my sons friends has a 266XP that he has had under the bench for awhile due to starting issues.
That would be a good excuse to get my hands on one and see what all the hype is about without having to actually buy one. I have the lower potion of a 261 that I might one day luck upon the upper parts to rebuild into a 262 or something in that neighborhood. I have a 350 here that I put a 353 flat top piston in for another friend of a friend. I like the way it behaves. If the friend doesnt claim it fairly soon, it may become part of the family. I could see myself doing a MM and posibly a little port smoothing on it to make a nice mid size saw.
I like Macs, but that is a nicely balanced light saw with respectable power.
CAD has many faces and many means of justification.
IMHO, its way cheaper than cars, tractors, airplanes, antiques, and sporting women. Also takes up MUCH less space.

I have CAD. I have no money. So I live vicariously through y’all. I’m saving pennies for a STIHL 462. Need more pennies.

In the short term, I’d like a 16” thin kerf bar for my crapsman.

8) More ported saws. Also modifying homeowner grade saws to get them to run like a pro saw.

This is what gets me EVERY TIME I start a new hobby; try to turn something that isn't into something it will never be.

Have you ever purchased a very expensive saw and not needed it / had little use for it? YES

I've done this in all my other hobbies; I'm about to in this hobby.

Where is the challenge in walking into a store and buying something off the shelf?

There is great challenge. Check multiple forums. Check Google. Check several dealers. Re-check forums and Google; check YouTube. Check bank account. Re-check forums, Google, and YouTube. Check bank account... etc.

I want a 500i or a 661. After starting the 064 it gave me an obsession for wanting something stupidly powerful! I had totally gone off the idea until yesterday!!

Very early and mild onset of the disease, I would say. Get the 500i, and you will be set. If you start with an older saw (like one of the "boat anchors") there will be another in no time at all, followed by another, better deal, and another... The 500i will probably keep you too busy to think of other saws. MHO, but I have been proven wrong before.

For me fixing and eventually collecting saws was a stress-venting activity. I am working less these days and am practically healed - haven't bought a saw in three or four years :)

Back