Small chainsaw with least pollution

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tractorsandsaws

Reaction score
Hello everyone!

I want to replace my old, heavy and polluting chainsaw from 1987 with something new, small and eco-friendly as i get headaches from fumes. I know that 2 strokes are not the most green but i don't want electric. I just want to clean up and fell up some trees around my farm, nothing too big.
Maybe something with catalytic converter? Which brand has the best technology? What do you reccomend to me?

I heard about Aspen fuel. Is it much better than normal petrol?

Thanks for answers (and sorry for my english:D)

I think probably any of the latest editions from the major brands would fulfill that, Echo might have the edge as they have made models specifically for that purpose.

You can get into a four stroke pole saw from Honda (multi tool and pruner attachment), Makita/Dolmar, and Stihl. Stihl uses pre mix so the other two would score better. There is a clean air index card that comes with chainsaws in the USA.

The catalytic converter is used to make a polluting design pass, most likely there are "greener choices".

What do you want inboard or outboard clutch?

My Dolmar 421 with a catalytic converter seems to send very little smoke out of the muffler. Ms261 was similar. The dolmars are now sold as Makitas, ea4300 I think. They're great little saws for the money.

You can get into a four stroke pole saw from Honda (multi tool and pruner attachment), Makita/Dolmar, and Stihl. Stihl uses pre mix so the other two would score better. There is a clean air index card that comes with chainsaws in the USA.

The catalytic converter is used to make a polluting design pass, most likely there are "greener choices".

What do you want inboard or outboard clutch?

I can go with inboard or outboard clutch, i'm not professional user, just occasionally. But are those 4 stroke saws much heavier? I want something light.

I checked:
Echo-310
Stihl 170
Stihl 170D (which has catalytic converter) - those Stihls have 2 mix engine which seems to be more efficient
Stihl 171
Husqvarna 120 Mark II - has x-torq which is same technology as 2 mix?
Makita/Dolmar EA3200S (also has catalytic converter)

Does Echo and Makita have similar technologies?

Which one would you guys choose? Or maybe something else?

If you want small anyways would you consider a battery saw? If it were giving me headaches then I personally would lean that way depending on your needs of course.

I was thinking about battery too yes, but what is real runtime on 1 charge? I tried battery grass trimmer once but it just wasn't good, not enough power and it battery discharged too fast.

Unfortunately 2 strokes have high emissions but like any engine you can minimize the emissions by using common sense.

On a two stroke, the mix ratio is a factor. Using synthetic oil mixed at 50:1 will create less pollution than 40:1.

On any engine, lower octane fuel will create the most energy and burn more cleanly and efficiently. Buy the lowest octane fuel you have available in your area. Fuel containing ethanol will burn cleaner but at a cost of needing to empty the saw and run it dry after use. You decide how serious you are about lowering emissions. I run 87 ethanol free but you may not have access.

A catalytic converter is available on many saws. It will run cleaner than one without and still provide good performance.

And don’t forget that the saw needs to be in good tune. If you’re running rich you’re polluting more. Keep your saw tuned properly for maximum power and less emissions.

Welcome to A.S.!

The newer saws in the US, and many other countries, meet much stricter environmental standards than the older saws. But some 'old school' saws are still available. Not sure what your country's regulations are.

Battery powered chainsaw have really improved in recent years. The better ones can compete with the size of saws that you listed. They are increasingly popular in Europe.

Run time depends on the size of the battery, quality of the tool, type of wood, etc. I have cut a full face cord (128 cubic feet) with one battery (photo below), but would always want a second one. The batteries power a wide range of tools, so check out what other tools are compatible.

IMG_0274.jpg

Philbert

I was thinking about battery too yes, but what is real runtime on 1 charge? I tried battery grass trimmer once but it just wasn't good, not enough power and it battery discharged too fast.

@Philbert is the man on battery saws. He can give you all kinds of info on them and looks like he has already entered the thread. They’re getting to be some pretty good tools now. I’ve even considered a small top handle one.

Unfortunately 2 strokes have high emissions but like any engine you can minimize the emissions by using common sense.

On a two stroke, the mix ratio is a factor. Using synthetic oil mixed at 50:1 will create less pollution than 40:1.

On any engine, lower octane fuel will create the most energy and burn more cleanly and efficiently. Buy the lowest octane fuel you have available in your area. Fuel containing ethanol will burn cleaner but at a cost of needing to empty the saw and run it dry after use. You decide how serious you are about lowering emissions. I run 87 ethanol free but you may not have access.

A catalytic converter is available on many saws. It will run cleaner than one without and still provide good performance.

And don’t forget that the saw needs to be in good tune. If you’re running rich you’re polluting more. Keep your saw tuned properly for maximum power and less emissions.
I think there is often a problem comparing because we are not truly comparing apples to apples.
Take for example the 40:1 vs 50:1 ratio you are speaking of; you run less oil and you may burn a saw up quicker(most saws this isn't really a concern at 50:1, but some it is), so now you have a replacement cost involved as well as the impact on the environment to make the new saw or replacement parts as well as the cost of acquiring said parts whether it's chased down by you or delivered by a carrier to your door.
I believe some of the best things we can do to lessen our negative impact on the environment is to use the tools we have in an efficient manner, proper tune, mix, and a chain that is properly sharpened are keys to doing this. A big one is also using an appropriate size saw for the job at hand, sometimes a smaller saw will work great, but when you need a bigger one you need a bigger one. Now you run into what will be better, having one big saw or multiple saws so you have the appropriate I one for the job :dizzy:.
Each person must look at their individual needs and figure out what will be most effective for them, there isn't a one size fits all solution and that is one of the biggest difficulties with regards to advising others, another is most individuals have no idea what they really need at the present time or even in the near future.

Now about running stihl ultra, I wasn't totally joking above, that is some nasty smelling stuff and it can't be good for you, maxima k2 :sweet:.

I don't know what brands or models are available in Slovenia, but the big names (STIHL, Husqvarna, Makita, Bosch, etc.) are good places to start. Also check out EGO and Greenworks, if available.

Philbert

@Philbert is the man on battery saws. He can give you all kinds of info on them and looks like he has already entered the thread. They’re getting to be some pretty good tools now. I’ve even considered a small top handle one.
No you didn't:crazy2:.
I've been watching them for many yrs, if I didn't already have some sweet baby saws I'd probably have some. The two biggest things I like about them are; instant power without the need to start them, that's some very efficient use of power, and the fact that there is very little noise, just imagine not wearing ear muffs in the summer :clap:.
Probably wont be too long before I have one, just waiting for the right deal to present itself ;).

I can go with inboard or outboard clutch, i'm not professional user, just occasionally. But are those 4 stroke saws much heavier? I want something light.

I checked:
Echo-310
Stihl 170
Stihl 170D (which has catalytic converter) - those Stihls have 2 mix engine which seems to be more efficient
Stihl 171
Husqvarna 120 Mark II - has x-torq which is same technology as 2 mix?
Makita/Dolmar EA3200S (also has catalytic converter)

Does Echo and Makita have similar technologies?

Which one would you guys choose? Or maybe something else?

Husqvarna xtorq uses what is known as strato charging, it has a second air valve that let's fresh air into the engine to keep excess fuel from going out of the exhaust as the fresh fuel charge enters the combustion chamber. The Stihl 4 mix uses valves like a four-stroke engine but is only available on polesaws or trimmers.

I honestly would recommend a North half/full face mask with charcoal filters.
Even the saws with xtorque or catalytic converters are fume heavy. They give me a headache too but really the only way around that is to either stay clear or the exhaust or put on a mask with the appropriate filter.

Also I don’t know if you are going to get away from pollution using a chainsaw.
It really is an oxymoron

trees absorb co2 from the air and create oxygen, you are cutting them down.
The carbon footprint on a battery is quite large, in fact it willing to bet far larger than the c02 your gonna put in the atmosphere with your occasional cutting on a gas saw for your lifetime.
Second to make the components for any chainsaw requires plastics and metals. Plastics come from petroleum products and the metals come from the earth with quite the carbon footprint to extract them already.
Also to use metal from the earth you need to melt it, which require high temperatures, this is a multi stage process cause when you get metal from the ground it needs to be separated from the other metals that are dug up with it.

finally you need to melt it which requires extremely large quantities of natural gas, which in itself is a byproduct of LPGs which of course “pollutes”

There really is no such thing as an environmentally friendly product of any sort.

No you didn't:crazy2:.
I've been watching them for many yrs, if I didn't already have some sweet baby saws I'd probably have some. The two biggest things I like about them are; instant power without the need to start them, that's some very efficient use of power, and the fact that there is very little noise, just imagine not wearing ear muffs in the summer :clap:.
Probably wont be too long before I have one, just waiting for the right deal to present itself ;).

Yes I agree with all those benefits...plus not having to mix fuel or deal with carburetor issues or tune. Stihl a gas fan for sure but they do have their benefits

Back