How much have you burned so far?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
As of today I have burned 6 cords so far. It hasn't been a cold winter, but the burning season started several weeks earlier than normal. Usually there is not a need to be fired up full time until around Thanksgiving. This year I fired up on November 3 and really could have started a week earlier but I needed to haul wood into the house and clean the furnace room.

I think I have burned about 2 cords of pine, 2 cords of mixed hardwood, and 2 cords of aspen. Some of the aspen hasn't been the best stuff but it was standing dead that was 1/4 mile from my house so it was easy pickings.

The nice thing is I have not pulled a stick out of my wood pile since December 29th and I have at least another week or two worth of scrounged wood to go before I need to get back to the pile. So that stuff will get another year to dry even more.

As of today I have burned 6 cords so far. It hasn't been a cold winter, but the burning season started several weeks earlier than normal. Usually there is not a need to be fired up full time until around Thanksgiving. This year I fired up on November 3 and really could have started a week earlier but I needed to haul wood into the house and clean the furnace room.

I think I have burned about 2 cords of pine, 2 cords of mixed hardwood, and 2 cords of aspen. Some of the aspen hasn't been the best stuff but it was standing dead that was 1/4 mile from my house so it was easy pickings.

The nice thing is I have not pulled a stick out of my wood pile since December 29th and I have at least another week or two worth of scrounged wood to go before I need to get back to the pile. So that stuff will get another year to dry even more.

Are you using an outside boiler or indoor wood heater?

We've had only one week of a very cold snap so far this year. Temp is hovering above freezing with lots of rain since. I've burned about 3 and 1/2 cords so far in our PE Summit.

At a guess I'm about 4 cord into the 7 cord stash. It's been a mild winter but the stove runs 24/7. We've been up to 30 degrees above normal. Normal is 36 but we are due for 44 today and 53 on Sunday/Monday. Still have Feb to go and last year our entire winter was crammed into that one month, cold and lot of snow. I actually ran out of the dry wood (porch and woodshed) and hauled wet wood from the outside stacks for 2 months. I still don't know how I got through that much wood.

I think I'm right around 3 full cords burned so far. Lamppa vapor fire in the basement. Probably 85% hardwood, but some of it was apple that woulda been better next year, and some oak that woulda been better maybe 3 years ago.

Didn't know about the Lamppa. Looks like a very nice furnace! Will the computer run without electricity during a power out? i.e. generator needed or maybe battery power?

Found the answer:

Will the furnace heat during power outages?

Yes, when the power stops the blower and computer both shut down. The computer closes to its pilot air opening, causing the fire to slowly die down. You should open all heat ducts, remove the air filters, and rely on gravity air flow then. The front lift off hood can also be removed easily to allow additional heat to escape from the air jacket during power outages. A back-up generator or a 24 volt ac source would be handy.

I've burnt 5m³ ( 3.5m³ to 1 cord) and mum another 2, so heading for about 10 and 4 (so 4 cord total for me to replace). Last winter we did 8 and 3 so heading for more this. That's not because it's been cold, Maybe a teenie tiny bit colder than last year, but it's very mild again really. A bit is because this years wood is just tarp covered, which isn't perfect, and it's been constant rain since mid September, so some of the wood is slightly damp.... Despite drying for 2 summers where we've had record high temps and drought. Mainly though I've been working from home a couple of times a week, so I'm around more to run the stoves hence they've been on a little more and the gas boiler hardly at all.

I normally burn around 10-15 cord a year mostly locust and hedge threw my Garn. I run year around. Heat domestic water. This winter has been warmer than last last winter but I was unloading some wood today out of a trailer into the Garn barn and it looks like I have still burned a cord and a half for the month of Jan and I haven't worked in the shop much as I have had some health issues going on. Last Jan was a cold one and I think I burned two and half last year.

Same here, 2 cords down and only 1/2 left but it is Hickory. Winter has not been too cold but started early. Hopefully we don’t have a harsh long February and March, it’s time to scrounge! Hopefully I’m better prepared in the years to come as this was my first full winter with wood heat. I have much more wood split and stacked but it still needs another year. Also been working on wood to replace what I have burnt so far, that should put me on a two year cycle in theory. The wife thinks I CSS too much and too often but she sure won’t let a bed of coals die down before she is ready for another load.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Im probly getting close to 2 cord. Been an easy year on wood. I havt even fired up a saw this year yet. Been reel wet here.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

The wife thinks I CSS too much and too often but she sure won’t let a bed of coals die down before she is ready for.

My wife’s the same way. She loves the wood heat and low gas bill, but complains when I CSS to much. She’s pretty good about loading the stove and getting it started, but she has no idea how much wood we go through.

Guessing I’ve burned around 4-5 cords so far and and will burn 2+- more.

Back