How To Clean Your Chainsaws Without Making a Mess

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have an air booster. With a water line to give it some mass 300 psi with a lil water really cuts the crud without a full sized pressure washer.
I bought a 346 one time that was leaking bar oil, no problem, seen that before. Then as I wiped it down I realized it was leaking from between the cases, most likely it had been pressure washed, not sure how else you could do that with vacuum alone since the gasket was inside the case lol.

View attachment 783048 Here’s another arrow in your quiver for saw cleaning. It’s good for getting at those pesky little areas like oil inlets and outlets.
Rather expensive @ 7$ per can.
Disclaimer: be sure to wear safety glasses!

Way too harsh-o!
knary.gif
Golly me! Now I need to go find a Safe Space!

Anything more aggressive than this

3308.jpg

is just OPPRESSIVE!

I just finished cleaning 3 grungy NTM saws using compressed air, a 5 gallon bucket of de-greasing solution, compressed air, followed by warm air drying.
I'm going to try something different next time. My thoughts were to make a bucket of hot de-greasing solution and feed it through my compressor powered sandblaster attachment.
It wouldn't be as harsh as a pressure washer, but the hot soapy water should do a good job on deposits of grease and wood chips.

So I tried this today and the results were quite good. The test case was a Poulan 3400 that I recently picked up and hadn't be cleaned for some time and now I wish I would have taken before pictures.
I pulled the covers off the saw and removed as much of the sawdust and oil "paste" deposits as I could, then I sprayed the pieces with Simple Green and let them sit over night. The next morning I gave the exposed area a quick once over with a brush then sprayed them with hot water (without soap) passed through my sandblaster attachment. I heated the water to almost boiling and next time I will boil the water as it cools off significantly during the spraying process.
And the results....

DSCN6604.JPG DSCN6605.JPG
DSCN6606.JPG DSCN6607.JPG

Afterwards I hot air dried the parts then took the pictures. All in all, I thought it worked really well.
I have a Husky 372 that needs serious cleaning, and I'll take before pictures as well as after when I do it.

I keep a small synthetic paint brush with my other tools in the field, and everytime I stop cutting to change out a dinged chain or to get gas / oil, I brush off the clutch cover and the crankcase underneath it, along with the fuel and oil cap areas of the saw. When I get home, I drag out my air compressor hose to a grassy area (ok, weedy area) and blow off the outside of the saw, bar and the carb / air filter area as needed.

All used chains go into the basement workshop for regrind or just filing if that's all they need.

Many years ago I bought a Stihl Contra from a seller in Germany (when shipping was still OK). They pressure washed and dried the saw prior to packing and shipping. The engine/crank bearings were locked when it arrived here 3 or 4 weeks later - water had entered the engine in the cleaning process (possibly via the seals as the intake and exhaust were plugged, they said). No water and no pressure on my saws - these tools are not made like cars or bikes (and even with bikes one needs to be careful).
If one of my saws get wet (during transport, etc.) I make sure to run it afterwards to make sure it's put away dry...

Back