Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have one of those hybrid plastic/wood core handle single bit axes...I hate how limber/flexible the handle is on it. I have a fiberglass handle single bit and it is so much better for splitting because the handle is rigid.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Yeah that red plastic handle used to seem fine when I didn’t know any different. Now it feels like a wet noodle[emoji3061]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No wonder I didn’t feel good! Lol
Haven’t tried power aid, don’t care for the sweetness of Gatorade either but have always heard high fructose corn syrup (in power aid) is worse for you than sugar and like a fertilizer to cancer. Don’t know how true it is but I try to avoid it.

Nate that’s why you gotta make your own. So much healthier than all the junk they put in them “sports drinks”, and you can make it as sweet or not as you like. Lotta times when lazy I just do apple juice,lemon, and a bit of salt.

Nate that’s why you gotta make your own. So much healthier than all the junk they put in them “sports drinks”, and you can make it as sweet or not as you like. Lotta times when lazy I just do apple juice,lemon, and a bit of salt.

That sounds way better! Thank you.

View attachment 793516

If left there it will outlast you or me. I pull locust that has split itself drying on the ground and it's still hard as a rock like this

View attachment 793517
Yah stuff will last half of eternity. I cut one this summer that was dead standing and got blown over was around 12% in the middle of the trunk. When I shut the saw off I could hear it cracking and watch the natural cracks get bigger.

Yah stuff will last half of eternity. I cut one this summer that was dead standing and got blown over was around 12% in the middle of the trunk. When I shut the saw off I could hear it cracking and watch the natural cracks get bigger.
I have had splits start sprouting branches and leaves a year after cutting . Granted it was a live tree when cut down . Very hard to kill

Can’t decide on a bar/chain combo for the 461. Have a 20” ES in it for now, but I’m debating on a 25” ES or 28” ES Light. Have a huge red oak that’s down, haven’t measured it yet, but I’m thinking I’d need at least a 25” to make the cuts coming from both sides...

Might post some pics to get y’alls opinions on this tree. It’s been down for at least three years. It’s down on a steep hill. Hoping it’s not too far gone to be good fire wood.

Share the doctor's recipe?

Thanks

Philbert

I'm not sure if this is the exact one she sent me, but it's pretty close, and a good starting point to get ratio's right so it's not gross:
I went through tons of oranges making 80 oz a day! really though you can just do pretty much any fruit juice, lemon, water, and a bit of salt. I do apple a lot cause it's easy and doesn't need sweetener. and if you wanna go even simpler, just adding a bit of lemon juice to water helps absorption quite a bit.

Can’t decide on a bar/chain combo for the 461. Have a 20” ES in it for now, but I’m debating on a 25” ES or 28” ES Light. Have a huge red oak that’s down, haven’t measured it yet, but I’m thinking I’d need at least a 25” to make the cuts coming from both sides...

Might post some pics to get y’alls opinions on this tree. It’s been down for at least three years. It’s down on a steep hill. Hoping it’s not too far gone to be good fire wood.

I got a 24" Oregon Versacut bar for the 7900 (bout same weight as 461 I think) I just got from Nate, which probably similar weight to stihl es light (I weighed it: 2 lbs 7.6 oz), has an Alumium core, non replaceable tip (which puts less weight on the end). balances really well, feels pretty nimble, I like it on this saw.

I am definitely done when it is over 80 degrees unless someone really needs wood and is paying what I tell them.

I was splitting around the 4th of July last year and got heat stroke. Not fun. Although now that I drink water and Pedialyte I feel a lot better in warmer weather.
You need to come help me irrigate when it is 100-110 in the summer start at 530am finish around 6pm I usually go into irrigating around 220 and finish the summer around 185-190lbs. I drink 2.5 gallons of water a day and couple gatorades then some beer in the evening to make the ole back not hurt so bad

A person needs salts to rehydrate. They don’t need extra sugar (sports drinks). As I’ve mentioned before, pedialyte works wonders for me. Or if I start feeling a headache coming on and I don’t have pedialyte I’ll make some saltwater and drink that. It’s not as good as pedialyte but it will help get rid of my headache.

On Sundays, we used to bike from Brewster to the LI Sound (CT side), go swimming, and come back. Round trip was about 75 mi.

The high end beaches charge cars, and there is a wait to get in, but bikes are free and no wait! They also have free outdoor showers (after swimming in the sound) and refreshment stands for lunch and to refill your water bottles. It made for a nice Sunday event, and we would go in groups of 6-8 riders.

I did a 100 mi ride one day, but did not enjoy going that far.

New Paltz has some very long, tough, hills! I used to do Quaker Ridge which was a 3 mi climb and like a roller coaster coming back down through the turns. With other competitive bikers often just inches away, it was a rush!

Last year I just did a more moderate 22 mi trip several times, just to try to maintain some of my skills.

Our road bikes hang from the ceiling of the garage, the two blue ones in the back are Modone 5s.

Attachments

• IMG_20200131_014650323.jpg
    IMG_20200131_014650323.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 18
I like sqwincher better than gatorade. But 50-50 pedialyte and water is probably better. Honestly I drink more beer than anything when it's that hot.

I have read every single post in this thread and you're the first bloke in this place to talk any proper sense! :givebeer: :cheers:

(apologies to those who have talked about chainsaws, scrounge, guns, maple syrup and stuff. But cold beer in the right circumstances is much more important.)

Back