Why Isnt It Sold?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Freudianfloyd

Clinically Diagnosed with CAD
Reaction score
I know that the pros scoff at the 029, 290, and 291 Stihls, but in my neck of the woods, these saws are pretty popular. They have been a farmer's staple for years.

Anyway, there is a very clean looking, running 029 in the classifieds listed for $100 and has been for weeks. I dont understand why this saw isn't sold already. Usually I like to buy non runners and flip them, but I'm tempted to buy this one and market it a bit different and see if I couldnt double or triple my money on it.

All the other ones listed are in the 300-375 range around me.

Is that just more than a running, clean 029 is worth?

Id buy that overweight pos and put it on ebay. Not really a pos but def not one of my faves.

Whats weird is my old boss would take his 290 up in the tree when it got too big for the 201, when he had a 241 261 on the ground...never quite understood that.

My dad loves his 029 and 290. Those are the saws I grew up running and always thought they were great saws. It wasnt till I got on this site that I realized the disdain for them.

I rebuilt one not long ago and put a cheap 390 cylinder and piston in it, and that saw ran great. I traded it for a gun that was worth over $300, and I made sure the guy knew it was rebuilt with aftermarket parts.

As for the ad, it could be sold and never deleted. There are literally tons of 029 and 290 ads for saws in the $300 range, which is why this one was so surprising.

Id buy that overweight pos and put it on ebay. Not really a pos but def not one of my faves.

Whats weird is my old boss would take his 290 up in the tree when it got too big for the 201, when he had a 241 261 on the ground...never quite understood that.

Drop a 290 from the 2/3rd's up a tree where the fall does not hurt it, but the sudden stop at the bottom does- you shrug your shoulders and say oh well- then go buy another on fleabay for $100.
Drop a 241/261 from the same position and you cry.

Latest posts

Back