I like this mans Ideas mostly.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In my area we do not have that kind of problems, but we still have problems. Summer or winter I can get fresh cut Oak seasoned well in two months tops by doing the right things. I live about twenty miles from what we call high desert which is near 3000 or 4000 feet. During the winter there will be months where the the humidity drops below 20% with constant breezes. It tales about two hours of haul time each way to get to the desert, but some times it worth it. When the mountains has periods of below freezing conditions the humidity also drops low just set a large circulating fan near a stack and wait a few days before moving. I can dry out ten cords in under two weeks easy. That is if the weather is right. The desert is also useful for summer work too, but adds to the cost. Thanks

Do ya'll think cross stacking makes a big difference? I have never done it except on the ends of stacks for support.

Definitely, I cross stacked some cottonwood that fell in the neighborhood, The HOA pays to haul it off, or I burn it, Better to make it into BTU's, than Bills, it was WET, but splitting smaller and cross stacking it dried much faster than it would have normal stacking.

The two main reasons that I don't cross stack regularly are:

1. Space efficiency, it just takes up too much more space for the same volume of wood

2. It is hard to cross stack as stable as normal stacking, and my 2 cord shed stacks over 6' high, my 4 cord shed almost 8' high, it just wouldn't be Safe cross stacking that high, IMO

Cross stacking WILL allow wood to dry Faster, but has it's own drawbacks

Doug :cheers:

What I like is Cuts this winter and burns next winter none of the 3 to 6 year old stuff stacked. Having to move it to the house to burn and all that other handling.

:D Al

I have all my wood for a season in the basement . Been doing that for 12 years. Even 2 year old stuff is still giving off water. The dehumidifier runs pretty much non stop for the first few weeks . But 80° temps and a fan the wood gets real dry fast.

I do pretty much everything he does except the cross stacking.

The wood seasoning is always under cover . 20191106_185927.jpg 20170313_194215.jpg

I guess everybody has their own way of drying wood. How it is stacked and stored will vary according to how willing a person wants to work at it, and space they have to dry the wood. I consider myself very lazy when it comes to firewood. In the past, I always had plenty of space to scatter whole logs around and let them dry until I got around to making little pieces out of great big ones. Bring in a load of logs and just dump off and process when I wanted to. I will have to change my methods for next year, altho I do have a couple years worth of well seasoned wood ready to burn. Staying a coupe years ahead will have to be my future wood drying plan.

Do ya'll think cross stacking makes a big difference? I have never done it except on the ends of stacks for support.

It definitely makes a difference.

There's a lot more surface area exposed to the sun and the wind.

It takes longer to stack, it takes more space, and the stack will be less stable.

If you have a good area in the sun and wind and keep the wood off the ground it's unnecessary though.

The vast majority of the moisture is lost from the ends of the splits so having both ends open helps the most.

That’s what I’ve always heard and part of why I’ve never bothered to cross stack, I just do single stacks with some space in between. Plus making the pillars is really time consuming especially if all your splits aren’t uniform. I’m thinking about just driving in t posts to hold up the sides of the rest of the stacks I’m making this year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gotta admit, watched this video the other day and today while splitting I definitely started knocking off the bark.

Anyone that doesn't believe barking the wood helps, has never taken the bark off, it is incredible, just how much moisture is just under the bark.

we used to take the splitter into the woods with us, and the Wife would split while I bucked and rolled rounds to her, and loaded splits, she would knock the bark off with the splitter, and we would leave it in the woods. It was Nice to have splits to unload at the house and leave the mess behind. but we were just not getting as much wood that way, about a cord a load, or a bit more having to leave room in the trailer for the splitter.

We started just shuttling rounds, but now out of the 15-16 cords we cut and hauled, I still have about 7-8 cords left to split and stack:(

Not having the Bark on let the wood dry much faster, it does make a noticeable difference.

That’s what I’ve always heard and part of why I’ve never bothered to cross stack, I just do single stacks with some space in between. Plus making the pillars is really time consuming especially if all your splits aren’t uniform. I’m thinking about just driving in t posts to hold up the sides of the rest of the stacks I’m making this year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Steel "T Posts" work Great for end bulkheads for firewood stacks, I use them a LOT

Latest posts

Back