Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for teh pics,,, but that is a pretty old tree,,, these are much younger, got cut off to teh ground ,, its no more than ten-12" caliper at ground level...
Here's a fresh cut and split,, not stringy at all, one shot with teh maul!!!!! I'm just curious of type,,, I've seen this yellow core before,,, and its gonna get burned!!!!
May as well finish blocking and splitting, suppose to rain tomorrow!!!
Thanks again!
Got me dumped on that one. Don't recall seeing that bright yellow cambium layer. Here's a young locust . About 25 years old. I left a couple grow when we bought the farm. Been saving them for fence posts if I ever need some.
20191227_121222.jpg

Not so much plenty of hiking . But mostly in the cold or summer misting/drizzle . Way to many people from the cities for my taste.

We used to make sure we went on a week day, not so bad then.

Pretty nifty toilets they have in there! Solar powered and no smell!

Got me dumped on that one. Don't recall seeing that bright yellow cambium layer. Here's a young locust . About 25 years old. I left a couple grow when we bought the farm. Been saving them for fence posts if I ever need some.
IDK Steve,,, not trying to stump ya!!!!! its split and stacked,, ready for next years stash... I remember cutting Locust posts for the porch of my uncles 1700s log cabin, but that was 1975-76!! We'll call it Hackberry til someone proves it wrong??? Unless Hackberry is real stringy???
To me its firewood!!!!

IDK Steve,,, not trying to stump ya!!!!! its split and stacked,, ready for next years stash... I remember cutting Locust posts for the porch of my uncles 1700s log cabin, but that was 1975-76!! We'll call it Hackberry til someone proves it wrong??? Unless Hackberry is real stringy???
To me its firewood!!!!
It ain't Hackberry by online pics I saw... I can't seem to find a site that IDs cut logs...

In your first pics it looks like Hackberry. But in your most recents pics, it does kind of look like Honey Locust. Were any thorns found while cutting or splitting? Dead giveaway for Locust.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Only thing I noticed were a couple long, thin,, green, stem like branches on a couple of teh logs...no thorns....I though maybe Willow of some kind,,, but pics don't show the yellow cambium layer...

Only thing I noticed were a couple long, thin,, green, stem like branches on a couple of teh logs...no thorns....I though maybe Willow of some kind,,, but pics don't show the yellow cambium layer...
I'd say mulberry from the pictures, bark is wrong for hedge. Just my $.02.

I was thinking either Honey Locust or Mulberry. I think my Mulberry looked a lot like that.

If it is, the middle will get very dark brown soon.
20190109_174739.jpg Bark looks thicker then mulberry. But might be. Always amazed how mulberry changes from florescent yellow fresh cut to almost dark red when ready to burn.

Fresh split just now on mulberry I cut about 2 weeks ago.
Thanks Steve,,, doesn't have that bright colored cambium, tho... You can see it on teh first pics I posted(as found),, and on the 2nd pics (just cut/split).. Mulberry seems a bit stringy-er also,, this stuff splits pretty clean... also, my just splt core is tan rather than yellow. like yours...
I looked at Osage also,,, but that may be what is called Hedge in other places??

I did a little more cutting and splitting today, INCLUDING SOME MULBERRY!!!

My pile is starting to grow. Mulberry is very dark when aged, yellow/brown when first cut/split and a small brown center pith.

Attachments

• IMG_20200131_142359138_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20200131_142359138_HDR.jpg
    5.4 MB · Views: 19
  • IMG_20200131_142405811_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20200131_142405811_HDR.jpg
    5.2 MB · Views: 18
  • IMG_20200131_160949797_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20200131_160949797_HDR.jpg
    5.2 MB · Views: 20
  • IMG_20200131_161006609_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20200131_161006609_HDR.jpg
    5.4 MB · Views: 19
  • IMG_20200131_161049897.jpg
    IMG_20200131_161049897.jpg
    5.2 MB · Views: 17
  • IMG_20200131_161741253_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20200131_161741253_HDR.jpg
    4.7 MB · Views: 17
Didn't do any wood today needed a break . Going to finish up the load in the truck and trailer tomorrow. Going to be to warm next week to cut. Dont want to get stuck in mud . So I'll just concentrate on the rounds and logs here, I may even do some homebrew next week. Going to be 55 ° next Tuesday

I love mulberry. Not many of them left here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Had two at my other house. A black and a white . Berries were great the stains on the walkway and cars not so much . The birds would eat the berry's and poop everywhere. They made nice firewood

Thanks for teh pics,,, but that is a pretty old tree,,, these are much younger, got cut off to teh ground ,, its no more than ten-12" caliper at ground level...
Here's a fresh cut and split,, not stringy at all, one shot with teh maul!!!!! I'm just curious of type,,, I've seen this yellow core before,,, and its gonna get burned!!!!
May as well finish blocking and splitting, suppose to rain tomorrow!!!
Thanks again!
Amur cork tree?
ebd406b8c6a57b856baf65c15d9b285b.jpg

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk

Back