Why Isnt It Sold?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Do you know for sure its still for sale? Sometimes they don't delete adds after its sold. The 029 was a bit of a turd, the 029 super/290 aren't too bad. One would think it worth $100 even as a parts saw

Do you know for sure its still for sale? Sometimes they don't delete adds after its sold. The 029 was a bit of a turd, the 029 super/290 aren't too bad. One would think it worth $100 even as a parts saw
I cannot say for sure. It was up for sale last night and after starting this thread, I made up my mind to write the guy and make a deal on it, but couldnt find the ad again. Either it sold since I started this thread or I cant find it. It showed it was posted over a week ago when it was up last night.

Not long after I bought my house but before I started doing wood I had contacted a tree service (out of business now) to see about dropping a large poplar that was leaning toward an outbuilding.

Shows up to do the quote... "that's an easy one, have a saw?"

I'm thinking... uh.. how does this work?

I agree to a cheapish price if using my saw vs him going to get his stuff.

Anyhow, pull out my near new Stihl 290. I had bought it thinking it'd last me 20+ years, especially at that price. Before then it was box store McCullochs and such.

Anyhow he moans about the heavy saw, whines about a dull chain, even though it was new, and proceeds to "sharpen" it, muttering he should charge for that. He pretty much dulled a sharp chain is all.

Dropped the tree, clipped my shed and ripped down my dog run. Exactly what I didn't want to happen and why I wasn't DIYing it.

In the end I paid him a bit of his price, with an agreement he'd fix the damage as well as grind several stumps.
~4 month later his guys randomly show up with a grinder expecting to do the job. I'd had called them half a dozen times, got tired of it and rented a grinder. Just so happens the same machine they brought.
Yup... tree service with a little rental grinder.

Not long after I bought my house but before I started doing wood I had contacted a tree service (out of business now) to see about dropping a large poplar that was leaning toward an outbuilding.

Shows up to do the quote... "that's an easy one, have a saw?"

I'm thinking... uh.. how does this work?

I agree to a cheapish price if using my saw vs him going to get his stuff.

Anyhow, pull out my near new Stihl 290. I had bought it thinking it'd last me 20+ years, especially at that price. Before then it was box store McCullochs and such.

Anyhow he moans about the heavy saw, whines about a dull chain, even though it was new, and proceeds to "sharpen" it, muttering he should charge for that. He pretty much dulled a sharp chain is all.

Dropped the tree, clipped my shed and ripped down my dog run. Exactly what I didn't want to happen and why I wasn't DIYing it.

In the end I paid him a bit of his price, with an agreement he'd fix the damage as well as grind several stumps.
~4 month later his guys randomly show up with a grinder expecting to do the job. I'd had called them half a dozen times, got tired of it and rented a grinder. Just so happens the same machine they brought.
Yup... tree service with a little rental grinder.
That's the kind of "help" we usually get around here and why I try to do my own work.

To me, the bottom line is, if it’s not a pro saw, I’m only interested in it at a bargain basement price. I’m just not going to use it when I’ve got half a dozen better saws ready to go and I don’t want to go to the trouble of driving somewhere, determining that it’s not a worn out POS, spending $100 on it, fixing its problems and then selling it for $220.

Now if someone offers me their non-running MS310 for $20, then I’ll take it off their hands, but only because I’ll have fun getting it running and flipping it.

I will say that the 290 makes a mighty fine firewood saw for your average home heater. Shes just a little on the heavy side.

I have two Stihl 056, two Husky 460 Xtra, one Stihl 066, two Stihl 070, one stihl 075, one stihl 076 out of those only one is heavy the 070. Any thing smaller could not possibly be a little heavy. I have some smaller saws like a Stihl 041, but it has not been started in a few years. At 67 I am not even in good shape since I am too busy cutting wood to race MX. The 066 is the only saw that is light enough to limb and cut too. It however goes through chains like crazy so do not use it much. I get impatient with the aforementioned saws because they are so slow so how does one cut with some thing smaller. Thanks

I have two Stihl 056, two Husky 460 Xtra, one Stihl 066, two Stihl 070, one stihl 075, one stihl 076 out of those only one is heavy the 070. Any thing smaller could not possibly be a little heavy. I have some smaller saws like a Stihl 041, but it has not been started in a few years. At 67 I am not even in good shape since I am too busy cutting wood to race MX. The 066 is the only saw that is light enough to limb and cut too. It however goes through chains like crazy so do not use it much. I get impatient with the aforementioned saws because they are so slow so how does one cut with some thing smaller. Thanks

Post 1990 technology will change your view lol id consider every saw you listed as heavy..

Post 1990 technology will change your view lol id consider every saw you listed as heavy..

Oh and im 31 but using a heavy saw all day is for the birds...yeah its fine when you are firewoodin it but when you do tree work u want the best power to weight ratio you can get..but yeah i get the nostalgia of you old timers with your old saws.

The 1127 series Stihl was a work horse simple saw. In Ohio, I have no doubt it was the most common saw in commercial use during its production. Stihl sold those saws by the pallet to tree services, municipalities, counties, etc.

It would be an understatement to say the market is saturated with them, add to the the almost certain aftermarket content and they do not have much craigslist value locally. However, a low use minty fresh one that is all OEM from a reputable seller, that 1127 can fetch ridiculous money.

All my saws are smaller, lighter & cut faster. You need to look at some different saws.:cool:

Id buy that overweight pos and put it on ebay. Not really a pos but def not one of my faves.

Whats weird is my old boss would take his 290 up in the tree when it got too big for the 201, when he had a 241 261 on the ground...never quite understood that.
He probably has dropped a saw from up there and lost it. Less money to replace a 290.

All my saws are smaller, lighter & cut faster. You need to look at some different saws.:cool:

Are you telling me that there are some saws much more powerful and lighter than the ones I mentioned. I tried a MS 880 and it cuts good, but it is a little heavier than some of mine. I am considering stepping up to a 090 when some of mine wear out. Thanks

Latest posts

Back