Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks Steve,,, finding some leaves or those berry clumps may help, if I go back there... I'm going to dry out a small split of it, and see how it burns...
Thanks again for replying..
Just found this,,, kinda sounds like a winner! an invasive tree near teh road and there were at least two of them cut down,,,
https://trees.umn.edu/news/amur-cork-tree-phellodendron-amurense
I'm going to need to take a closer look at the trees I thought were hackberry here. I'm still thinking they are, but this makes me unsure, the bark between the two is pretty close. The trees I have are near the rd, but they seem to have a different structure as they have taller main stems and don't have a large canopy, but they also aren't out in the open.
Always good to get our continued ed hrs in :reading:.
Hope you all have a great weekend.

I'm going to need to take a closer look at the trees I thought were hackberry here. I'm still thinking they are, but this makes me unsure, the bark between the two is pretty close. The trees I have are near the rd, but they seem to have a different structure as they have taller main stems and don't have a large canopy, but they also aren't out in the open.
Always good to get our continued ed hrs in :reading:.
Hope you all have a great weekend.
Hi Chip...
Those berry clusters in teh pics would be the give away for this cork tree... if you have live ones growing there, just wait til they bloom!!!!
The yellow layer on these logs is kinda moist and sticky,,, it stuck on teh chain and bar...

Hi Chip...
Those berry clusters in teh pics would be the give away for this cork tree... if you have live ones growing there, just wait til they bloom!!!!
The yellow layer on these logs is kinda moist and sticky,,, it stuck on teh chain and bar...
Right on, gonna look at them in a bit when I go out to split (my weekend rhyme lol).
Just drug this pic of a large mulberry yard tree I dropped a few yrs ago, figured since we're looking at tree species :picture:.
Watch out for the nails :surprised3:, stem on the right had a few :baba:.
Screen Shot 2020-02-01 at 10.07.11 AM.png

Right on, gonna look at them in a bit when I go out to split (my weekend rhyme lol).
Just drug this pic of a large mulberry yard tree I dropped a few yrs ago, figured since we're looking at tree species :picture:.

Yep,,, nails and other metal is teh problem with yard trees,,, I;ve dulled more chain on dirt in teh bark than metal tho!!

One of the local golf courses recently sold off their fleet of carts, including the utlity/maintenance carts. My grandfather (right) had the connections to get my dad (left) set up with one for the homestead. I feel like I'll be the one using it most of the time, but I'm not complaining. Beats the hell out of a crummy ATV dump trailer. Has a 400cc Kawasaki engine and a pretty beefy hydraulic dump box. Leaf springs and knobby tires should be perfect for hauling firewood out of the bush, and it's got a hitch, so I can still tow my trailer behind it. Score!

View attachment 793920
Never really thought about picking one of these up . But it really would come in handy around the yard. And my riding buddy owns a golf cart place. Bet I could get a good runner that's beat up

https://www.onpargolfcart.com/

I just love it when we are riding our bikes and we get something to eat or drink, and there is a table there with the Harley crowd with their colors on, and they stare at you, and I look back at them and state "Real men peddle" … they generally just crack up!
They always liked seeing our Jap bikes when they were all hanging at the park, so we made sure to buzz thru there as often as possible to oblige lol.
I found it interesting that the Harley crowd never gave me a hard time about my nighthawk 700s, seemed they all were pretty cool with that one, the GSXR 750's they didn't like as much :D.
This is funny, holds his line.

Never really thought about picking one of these up . But it really would come in handy around the yard. And my riding buddy owns a golf cart place. Bet I could get a good runner that's beat up

https://www.onpargolfcart.com/
I had a lifted electric cart, it was a pretty sweet little tool for around the house. I also had a Suzuki mini truck(traded it for a wood splitter and a very clean 660), would have liked to have kept that one, but the timing wasn't right and since I traded into it I sold it for a nice profit after making a few repairs.
Wouldn't mind scrounging up one that was rd legal, would be fun running to town in it, and the box is 4x8 so it's pretty good sized.
Screen Shot 2020-02-01 at 11.59.08 AM.png The guy I sold/traded it to had other plans for it, he probably doesn't take it to town, unless it's on a trailer :).
Screen Shot 2020-02-01 at 12.00.59 PM.png

Dragged a load home and did some hand splitting. My pops checked himself in to the hospital today with some intestinal issues this morning, so the hand splitting was a bit of “therapeutic relief” for me. Depending on the cat-scan results will determine if I head over the river after basketball or not....

@MustangMike Putnam Hospital Incase you didn’t know

Attachments

• 8EE504E3-A347-4735-ABBF-67674BC0F46B.jpeg
    8EE504E3-A347-4735-ABBF-67674BC0F46B.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 18
  • A47A247B-455D-4180-AA88-B6471E6DEA45.jpeg
    A47A247B-455D-4180-AA88-B6471E6DEA45.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 17
  • 62EA7E06-92BF-4316-A5DA-A62313300514.jpeg
    62EA7E06-92BF-4316-A5DA-A62313300514.jpeg
    7.8 MB · Views: 17
  • B2502182-2E3B-4892-9624-A8E5FCE0D43D.jpeg
    B2502182-2E3B-4892-9624-A8E5FCE0D43D.jpeg
    7.8 MB · Views: 16
  • F395772C-10AF-4882-A4C6-60596840F096.jpeg
    F395772C-10AF-4882-A4C6-60596840F096.jpeg
    8 MB · Views: 17
Dragged a load home and did some hand splitting. My pops checked himself in to the hospital today with some intestinal issues this morning, so the hand splitting was a bit of “therapeutic relief” for me. Depending on the cat-scan results will determine if I head over the river after basketball or not....

@MustangMike Putnam Hospital Incase you didn’t know
Hope everything works out for your pops . My mom is still recovering but is doing much better. You get any snow over your area. Just had another squall move through

View attachment 794104

AWSOME saw picture. Love them high top huskys

Sent while firmly grasping my redline lubed RAM [emoji231]

I had a lifted electric cart, it was a pretty sweet little tool for around the house. I also had a Suzuki mini truck(traded it for a wood splitter and a very clean 660), would have liked to have kept that one, but the timing wasn't right and since I traded into it I sold it for a nice profit after making a few repairs.
Wouldn't mind scrounging up one that was rd legal, would be fun running to town in it, and the box is 4x8 so it's pretty good sized.
View attachment 794121 The guy I sold/traded it to had other plans for it, he probably doesn't take it to town, unless it's on a trailer :).
View attachment 794125

There are a LOT LOT of those things on in Europe on farms. Very cool.

Id love one.

Its a good day to split and cut here.

1-3” of snow and 31 degrees. Listening to some Eddie Vedder and Chris Cornell at the wood pile.

Top vocalist and writers of their time IMO. Still are at the top IMO.

@SS396driver , thanks he said cat-scan didn’t show anything so they told him to make an appointment for gastrointestinal dr. Then he and I had the same discussion we always have. WHEN ARE YOU GOING TO RETIRE!!!!!

I explained that my kids would have a better time with a modestly wealthy LIVING Grandpa then a dead rich Grandpa.....

I just keep praying one day it sinks in

Dusting of snow this morning, nothing else all day

Its a good day to split and cut here.

1-3” of snow and 31 degrees. Listening to some Eddie Vedder and Chris Cornell at the wood pile.

Top vocalist and writers of their time IMO. Still are at the top IMO.

Chris Cornell was one of the underrated musicians of all time.

Getting used to the new splitter, Black Diamond 25T. Old one was Troybilt 27T. The new one does everything the old one did, including shearing through knots but is twice the speed of the old.

Finished cord 11 and started on #12. Age is sure starting to show. 2 hours split/stack and I couldn't take any more. I had to quit leaving a small pile still to stack. Have another 4 or a bit more to go.

Getting used to the new splitter, Black Diamond 25T. Old one was Troybilt 27T. The new one does everything the old one did, including shearing through knots but is twice the speed of the old.

Finished cord 11 and started on #12. Age is sure starting to show. 2 hours split/stack and I couldn't take any more. I had to quit leaving a small pile still to stack. Have another 4 or a bit more to go.
That's the beauty of owning a splitter, you can pick away at it whenever you want. Glad it's working good for you.

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back