Dumb question primer bulb?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
People are getting weaker and manufactures need to make them easier to start. :buttkick:

Weaker, lazier and more dumber... that's why Briggs and Stratton are marketing lawnmower engines that claim "never require an oil change! Just check and add!"

How many homeowners do you think could adjust a set of points, let alone a carb, let alone use a choke.

Weaker, lazier and more dumber... that's why Briggs and Stratton are marketing lawnmower engines that claim "never require an oil change! Just check and add!"

How many homeowners do you think could adjust a set of points, let alone a carb, let alone use a choke.

I purchased the cheapest b&s 8 hp engine for my log splitter. I was told the aluminum cylinder wouldn’t last one season. Well thirty years later still running. Replaced the rear case gasket and piston rings when all the gaps lined up. My secret was adding the left over two stroke mix and changing the oil often. That’s splitting 50+ cords per year.

Does the primer bulb take the place of a choke? Or does it help to start a hot saw? Vapor lock?

I haven’t had saws vapor lock since my craftsman saws 40 years ago.

I purchased the cheapest b&s 8 hp engine for my log splitter. I was told the aluminum cylinder wouldn’t last one season. Well thirty years later still running. Replaced the rear case gasket and piston rings when all the gaps lined up. My secret was adding the left over two stroke mix and changing the oil often. That’s splitting 50+ cords per year.

I'm surprised a B&S that old wouldn't have a cast iron liner, unless that's what you meant?

Agreed though, change the oil and don't let them overheat and those little engines run forever. My dad had an OLD Briggs 12hp on a log splitter, it was all cast iron and points, he finally had to replace it when it just wore out, at one point he rigged up an MSD ignition box and a car battery to make it run, haha.

I'm surprised a B&S that old wouldn't have a cast iron liner, unless that's what you meant?

Agreed though, change the oil and don't let them overheat and those little engines run forever. My dad had an OLD Briggs 12hp on a log splitter, it was all cast iron and points, he finally had to replace it when it just wore out, at one point he rigged up an MSD ignition box and a car battery to make it run, haha.

A aluminum cylinder the cheapest 8 hp b&s.

Whenever you try to start a high compression engine with a long fuel line and no compression release valve, you wish you had one of these. Would save the time and trouble of taking off an air filter so you can squirt some fuel direct into the carb.
My 7910 (my heaviest beast [emoji2958]) start right away when I didn't just flood it by leaving the switch on off (my other saws switch to on when using the choke). Without the bulb. I alway wonder how it gets that gas in 1 pull.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G955F met Tapatalk

I prefer saws without the primer bulb. My 346xp ne has one and it starts great but I prefer my 2149/2153 without the bulb it starts great also and 1 less thing to have a potential problem out of. I have seen some primer bulb saws seep gas out around it when pressed a simple fix but why have to when you don’t

To me, it's just one more thing to go wrong. Recently my Echo backpack blower that had run great for several years of intermittent use started acting funky and not accelerating. I suspected carb trouble or air leak and I was finished until I could fix it. It turned out to be a splitting primer bulb. I was at the cabin and took the carb off. When I got home I did a US cleaning and replaced the bulb. If you use power equipment with a primer bulb, always keep a couple of correct size bulbs close. It could save your day.

To me, it's just one more thing to go wrong. Recently my Echo backpack blower that had run great for several years of intermittent use started acting funky and not accelerating. I suspected carb trouble or air leak and I was finished until I could fix it. It turned out to be a splitting primer bulb. I was at the cabin and took the carb off. When I got home I did a US cleaning and replaced the bulb. If you use power equipment with a primer bulb, always keep a couple of correct size bulbs close. It could save your day.
I try to avoid primer bulbs also. I have a plastic bag full of them ready for repairs. I would hate to count the number of saws that have come into my shop with cracked, broken, or missing primer bulbs. Some engines will run without them if the carb was designed to use them but only a few.

Weaker, lazier and more dumber...

Not necessarily. It’s just about a different skill set.
70 years ago a young man had to use a straight razor to shave, **** with a carburetor and change the spark plugs on his car, and use the Dewey decimal system card catalog to check out a book at the library to learn something new. Technically challenging and skillful, sure.

30 years ago a man was using a cartridge razor without worry of cutting himself, programming a VCR to record his TV shows, sending faxes at the office and checking email online. Less technical and skillful in some things, more advanced in others.

Today a 15 year old is posting a YouTube video with their iPhone, flying a drone, doing Google searches for the best college reviews, and programming a RaspberryPi for fun.

By your estimation the younger generation is dumber, by their estimation your life skill set is pretty basic. It’s all perspective.

All the youngsters are busy with I pads, I phones, kindles ect. Even at the dinner table there pushing buttons. There so consumed they have to clue as to what’s going on around them. In the 50’s we had those plastic army guys from China or Japan. Or my favorite was the matchbox and dinky toys from England. The only hi tech thing I remember was the transistor radio. Go figure lol.

If you don't like the primer bulb and if the saw is quick to start by just using the choke, just plug the fuel line between it and the carb and leave the damn thing alone. All saws will run without it, they just fill the fuel line and the carb with fuel to make the engine start quicker with less pulling on the cord and have nothing to do with the carbs air/fuel mix. Even if the bulb is cracked, there are 1-way valves that "should" stop any air from being sucked back into the carb but if you want to be sure, just disable them and forget them.

...There so consumed they have to clue as to what’s going on around them.

But the youngsters who have no clue as to what’s going on around them because they are on iPads are watching videos from all over the globe on YouTube. They’re starting goFundMe campaigns for NWF and for firefighters in Australia. Greta Thunburg is 16 and pushing discussions in front of the UN about climate change. I think they might be more informed about the world than you think.

Latest posts

Back