I was excited about my new Holzforma 070...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'd just put it back together and torque that nut down properly so that tapered shim gets set in. Make sure you have the washers in place.

If I remember correctly, the 070/090 (and also the Contras) have a bush in the clutch center that deforms when the nut is tightened, locking the clutch on the shaft. If the nut gets loos, the clutch will turn freely on the shaft. Make sure the nut gets tightened properly (and stays that way) or get a new clutch assy with nut...

Clutch has a tapered spacer between it and the flat side of the crankshaft. It is a press fit held in place with a nut. If there is a washer, anywhere in the mix between the side of the clutch and the nut that holds the clutch on, check them over carefully for being deformed, holes elongated, or mis shaped. The metal used is too soft and the washers give a bit when that happens the press fit becomes to loose and the clutch will spin on the shaft. It is a good idea to replace all of the washers, spacers on that side of the saw.

Replace the washers with a decent quality washer. Reassemble, lightly tap clutch assembly into place, torque down nut.

The washers being too soft is a problem on any farm tec, whatever brand aftermarket clutch set up I have seen.

Replace the washers and the 070 clones can solid performers. Only other common short fall I have seen might be the oiler pumps being a bit meager, hit and miss on those, some pump waaaaaay better than others.

I changed the description of the crankshaft. The crankshaft is not tapered, it is two steps, both flat.

Great info. Thanks. Thanks to everyone who replied.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

Are you trying to tell me I should go through the engine and check all the bolts? [emoji1]

No, but I think you knew that. :)
Thought it might help to know what torque Stihl specifies to keep the crankshaft nuts snugged down. Much less and things loosen up, much more and threads get trashed or parts break.

From the side of the crankcase...

washer, clutch drum, bearing in drum. Not usually a problem, if damaged replace.

Washer, inside of clutch drum between clutch and drum. Problem washer, might need replaced.

clutch, taper small hole facing the crankcase, large hole facing out, ridge on the spider facing out. Insert pressed in from end of crank.

small dia. thick washer on top of clutch, tapered insert. Problem washer, might need replaced.

big domed washer. Problem washer, might need replaced.

left handed nut.

There are good videos on YouTube dealing with assembly and repair on the 070 clones.

That is the $64 question and the main reason I posted the specs.

I can confirm it did just fine in the MS660 clone I assembled in December.
Everything was torqued to OEM specs.

As a side note: One should pay attention to whether the specs are for dry or lubricated threads and if there is no mention of it, the default is: Non-lubricated.
Easy to search and find tables showing the difference.

I can confirm it did just fine in the MS660 clone I assembled in December.
Everything was torqued to OEM specs.
That's an encouraging bit of information but in my experience Chinese parts have been less than consistent in quality. In any event, I gave the spec so the OP would have a torque figure to shoot for in case he didn't have the spec (assuming he has a torque wrench).

Pics of damage
23220a64ee641cbf513f37bb7f98b767.jpg
ab8dabf8af88d100c3ea33333140990e.jpg
42367eea5a668d5f01de2c8418fbd69f.jpg
5ecec1208b336b75f28540a4c42349f2.jpg
47887d6842d1beba79df4b4e4cc19b8a.jpg
7f70a03574db920fc4f386c22545b03f.jpg

Yep, that one spun a lot. Clean up the crank and see about getting a new taper bushing, or just clean the one you got up. Check the washers and clutch drum bearing.

I sent pics to holzfforma. They offered a partial refund if I could fix it myself. I told them I could fix it, but I would need a clutch assembly with bushing and a crankshaft. They seemed agreeable but said they couldn't ship right now because of the Corona virus epidemic. Apparently they are shut down until government notice.

If anyone had a tapered bushing, let me know.
Thanks

Back