Where do yall see vintage saw prices at in 20 years?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jkstihl

Chainsaws make me fap.
Reaction score
Where do yall see prices going in 20 years for any of the saws from late 80s early 90s?

I'm seeing some stupid high prices on old saws like PM Canadiens on eBay, not that they'd necessarily get that much for one. For example, someone had a PM 275 as a non-running saw for like $1200 (good luck). I don't know if saws are a niche market that would ever command ridiculous prices like you see for things like vintage cars, guitars, motorcycles, etc.

I rebuild obsolete pro chainsaws and have been able to get parts from eBay and a few online stores. There is not going to be much available for my early 80' to 90's saws in 20 years, but I rebuild them to last.

The content referred to was in the post that was deleted. Just keep references to government, political, politics and religion out of the chainsaw threads or they will be deleted or moved over to that other place already mentioned.

The content referred to was in the post that was deleted. Just keep references to government, political, politics and religion out of the chainsaw threads or they will be deleted or moved over to that other place already mentioned.
I thought it was completely relevant to the topic but do what you must.

In 20 years there may not be too many trees to cut anyway and if there are trees left we might be using lasers to cut wood if that is possible. I'll probably not be around anyway but it would be nice if these old chainsaws at least hold there value and hopefully go up in value. It would be nice if chainsaws were like old cars and would be worth more in the future than what you would pay for one today but I doubt that will happen unless you stash NIB saws.

In 20 years there may not be too many trees to cut anyway and if there are trees left we might be using lasers to cut wood if that is possible. I'll probably not be around anyway but it would be nice if these old chainsaw at least hold there value and hopefully go up in value. It would be nice if chainsaw were like old cars and would be worth more in the future than what you would pay for one today but I doubt that will happen unless you stash NIB saws.

We have plenty of trees in the southeast no way they will disappear in 20 years...where u at?

Every new hobby I get into the cost was cheap at first then it soars. I’m restoring post vintage Husqvarna dirtbikes off and on. The cost on these have soared from $750 to $5,000 depending on condition. I figure about $2500 to $3500 + more.
Look at the non running saws, some aren’t complete and there $300. With the markup after repairing it with a new piston kit who’s going to purchase it? Some saws that run will be listed for $100 over cost? I’m thinking about making each one run and put them on a shelf to be sold later.

My experience with the vintage and post vintage bikes is the new and used parts will run out first. Locating parts was fun. I loved the hunt.

I got into collecting the older saws from the 70’s because I used them to cut firewood.
I couldn’t afford to buy them as they were offered. I think the earlier all metal professional models life before the XP pro saws will be sought after by collectors and users too. I don’t see these high tech high dollar saws lasting.

I’m retired sitting home killing time. I just can’t sit idle.

It all depends on how much interest the next couple of generations have in vintage saws. I’m guessing most of us on this forum are 40+. 20 years from now a lot of us will be gone and many will not be cutting a lot of wood. If there are millions of millennials with our same interest in saws, then their values will continue to climb. If the coming generations don’t give a damn however, then old saws might just be another curiosity without a great deal of value.

My mother does volunteer work in a charity thrift store and because of this I see a lot of the donations that are made. There are literally hundreds of collectibles out there that people once thought were valuable and now are worth very little, Hummel figurines, China sets, beanie babies, etc...

It all depends on how much interest the next couple of generations have in vintage saws. I’m guessing most of us on this forum are 40+. 20 years from now a lot of us will be gone and many will not be cutting a lot of wood. If there are millions of millennials with our same interest in saws, then their values will continue to climb. If the coming generations don’t give a damn however, then old saws might just be another curiosity without a great deal of value.

My mother does volunteer work in a charity thrift store and because of this I see a lot of the donations that are made. There are literally hundreds of collectibles out there that people once thought were valuable and now are worth very little, Hummel figurines, China sets, beanie babies, etc...

I actually make a good bit of side money buying stuff at thrift stores and selling on ebay.Screenshot_2020-02-02-21-19-15.png

Back