Bought a new Poulan Pro 5020 to see what there about

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok not to sound like a total newbie but I am lol. How dose one tell the difference in chains at the store. The only chains I have every bought were either oragon fron menards or for my 211 from the still dealer. Thank you

Heck of it is, I got 4 of them things now!
I’ll buy every one I can find now as long as they are reasonably priced!!

Long term members on here will remember I wasn’t originally a fan of the 5020 or 4218. I remember CTyank bragging about his 5020 amd 4218 and after I ran then I remember thinking “these things are pieces of crap”. Once I figured out that CTyank didn’t know how to adjust rakers/depth gauges on a chain and they need a muffler mod and retune to run well it was a different story.

I just used mine yesterday to noodle up a bunch of Norway pine rounds that I scrounged. I also used the heck out of my 4218 until I donated it to the Zogger fundraiser.
4C3B0E6B-C7C0-421A-AB38-AF7D64114967.jpeg

I paid 20 bucks for mine, the original 70 DL chain had one bent link so it wouldn’t spin. I straightened it and sent it to my uncle as a spare B+C for the Husky 55 I built for him.

I prefer the 16” bar but it certainly could pull a 20” with mods.

What's a good tune on one of these the one I just picked up I'd off a little haven't had time to mess with it but what a good place to start

Also I'm new to turning saw how do I go about it on this saw. And insted of keeping the thread alive should I move to the poulan fourm

What's a good tune on one of these the one I just picked up I'd off a little haven't had time to mess with it but what a good place to start

Also I'm new to turning saw how do I go about it on this saw. And insted of keeping the thread alive should I move to the poulan fourm
Keep your questions in here since they are on this saw.

You need to go by ear on these. I only use a “starting point” on a saw that’s being built from parts. Since your saw is assumingely already running, run the saw in wood for a couple of minutes then do the tuning. 4218’s can be really finicky to toon but 5020’s are really easy. You want the saw to 4 stroke when revving out of wood and clean up as soon as it gets into the cut. YouTube “how to tune a chainsaw” and you’ll find several good examples where you can hear what I mean.

Thank you can you recommend a good cain for these. I have my chains sharpened local and he doesn't great but has trouble getting the vanguard takers right. I was looking at Oregon lpx but I don't know anything about chains lol but I'm trying to learn

I consider LGX to be the gold standard. There are a couple better and most are not as good (overall) for chisel chain.

Stihl RS is probably the longest lasting chain. Husqvarna X-Cut is highly spoken of but I’ve not personally used it yet. Oregon EXL is supposed to be on par with Stihl RS for durability.

LPX is very similar to LGX but has a two piece depth gauge. In reality I doubt there’s a noticeable difference in cutting between the two.

Thank you can you recommend a good cain for these. I have my chains sharpened local and he doesn't great but has trouble getting the vanguard takers right. I was looking at Oregon lpx but I don't know anything about chains lol but I'm trying to learn
Remind me, are you planning on running the 70 DL 20” bar or drop down to a 16”? I think there are a couple of Poulan 5020 threads going on so want to make sure I’m answering the right person.

Remind me, are you planning on running the 70 DL 20” bar or drop down to a 16”? I think there are a couple of Poulan 5020 threads going on so want to make sure I’m answering the right person.

I want to try and keep it a 20" on the stock 70fl dl bar

Oregon LGX, LPX, and EXL are all readily available in that length and all would suit you well. You’d need to have a Stihl chain spun off a reel for that.

This provided a significant increase in power. It’s a bit louder (think Homelite Super XL/Mac 10 series loudness) but not obnoxious or crackly at all.
451A612C-7B82-43B2-9BE1-A43ABF3BE0F2.jpeg

This provided a significant increase in power. It’s a bit louder (think Homelite Super XL/Mac 10 series loudness) but not obnoxious or crackly at all.
View attachment 794766

Hey Steve , I'd like to figure the square inch area that you added to the outlet with the twelve holes . What is the hole diameter ?

Latest posts

Back