Piston replacement ms 261

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Just read a post on someone who took the cylinder off his 261 and he said it was far harder to take it off than what it is on the 026/260.

not wanting to hijack his thread and change topic, can anyone please tell me what makes removing the cylinder on an ms 261 harder than a 260?

what extra steps are involved?

Taking my cylinder off the 260 is about a 2 minute second job with some assistance from an impact driver and flat head screw driver.

cover off, plug off, loosen manifold, pop off impulse and undo 4 cylinder screws. What steps are different on the 261?

It’s like anything else, once you do it a few times it’s simple.

I felt the same way in the past, now it’s a joke to do for me.

It’s the design Tom. Remove top cover, remover starter cover, unscrew carb nuts, remove the carb holder thigamajig, flip to side with the on/off switch. Then remove carb, clips/wires to MT. Plug fuel line. Remove air box separator, remove muffler. Remove jug with boot attached. Remove boot from jug.

It’s like anything else, it gets easier. You just can’t remove the jug and pry off the intake boot like you can on the older models, the jug needs to be removed to get to the three retaining screws. The 462 is even simpler to work on.

It’s like anything else, once you do it a few times it’s simple.

I felt the same way in the past, now it’s a joke to do for me.

It’s the design Tom. Remove top cover, remover starter cover, unscrew carb nuts, remove the carb holder thigamajig, flip to side with the on/off switch. Then remove carb, clips/wires to MT. Plug fuel line. Remove air box separator, remove muffler. Remove jug with boot attached. Remove boot from jug.

It’s like anything else, it gets easier. You just can’t remove the jug and pry off the intake boot like you can on the older models, the jug needs to be removed to get to the three retaining screws. The 462 is even simpler to work on.
Honestly I’m not sure why I didn’t jusy Pm you Al, didn’t think about it! Yes sounds far more in depth. Not necessarily difficult, just more steps! Cheers mate!

Back