How much have you burned so far?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here in Southern Ontario we have had a cold season so far with warm spells lasting a few days and heavy dumps of snow periodically.
I live in the Boreal Forest and at the edge of the "Snow Belt" so my weather pattern is different from 1/2 hour South near Highway 401 corridor along Lake Ontario's shoreline, which is usually milder and warmer.
I've probably burned 30 bags of pellets and 1/2 cord of hardwood so far this year.
But I have a good supply of Ash, Elm, Maple, Red Oak, Hickory and Cherry cut and stacked for next year as well as lots of Trembling Aspen dropped and needing to be cut/split for later too.
Also have tops from 2 large Red Oaks to be cut, split and stacked for the following years.
Just need to build me a wood shed next.
Shown below is about 3 cords of Ash, Maple and Elm with some Hop Hornbeam, Cherry and Hickory mixed in. Also a bit of soft wood stacked at the back.
P_20190808_150255.jpg

Was going to say the same. That's a peaceful looking place.

between 2 1/3 and 2 2/3 cord currently started kind of early 6 inches of snow on Halloween but not been that cold just up and down a lot. probably get to around 3 1/3 to 3 2/3 cord before April.

About 2 1/2 racks. Never counted cords. These racks burn this year and those racks burn next year rinse and repeat.

I just broke into my 4th true chord as of this weekend. Old VC Dutchwest 2462 and 1200ish sf. The season started early (first week of November), but has been beyond warm. I was at the same place last year at this time, but didn’t start burning until second week of December.

Im happy as the warm weather has allowed me to throttle the old POS Dutchwest and actually get some decent burn times (6-8 hours). This means that I ACTUALLY SLEEP this winter without having to get up twice to reload every night. The wind across the plains sucks the heat out of the farmhouse quick. Only burned ~10 gal of supplemental propane too, so it’s truly been a cheap winter.

I’ve had to shut the stove down a number of times now too with temps pushing 50 some days.

I have been burning right on schedual. A 4x4 stack every 2 weeks. This mild winter means less propane use and the same amount of wood use. This new furnace has sort of spoiled me though. I don't settle for 68 degrees anymore I like 70+ so the lower wood consumption is not happening but the lower propane consumption is.

Woodstove epa with secondary burn tubes is primary, forced air oil furnace is backup and or supplemental when it gets super cold. Hard to heat old horse hair plaster and lathe farmhouse with just an insulated attic floor otherwise nada no other insulation. 3 cords of mostly oak with a little maple and ash mixed in....

Right now its chilly :laughing:outside 28° freezing fog and the house is 82° all I have in my wood reserve downstairs is oak or locust . We should be in the single digits by now. Burning hot to clean the the flue. May have to open a window tonight, I like it around 66°20200206_165603.jpg 20200206_170713.jpg

So far this season we've maybe burned half of what we did Last season. Heck, from last Sunday up until Wednesday afternoon, I hadn't even lit the stove. Been an unusually mild winter. Just had our first tornado of the season about 2 miles from where I work... A tornado... In February...

So far this season we've maybe burned half of what we did Last season. Heck, from last Sunday up until Wednesday afternoon, I hadn't even lit the stove. Been an unusually mild winter. Just had our first tornado of the season about 2 miles from where I work... A tornado... In February...

So if you dont light the stove how do you heat? Seems like there are a lot of people like this. For me I'd rather light the stove than pay the propane man. My neighbor has 25 acres of wood and a OWB which I rarely see going and had a bucket on it until December. I dont get it. I'd heat with only wood if I could.

So if you dont light the stove how do you heat? Seems like there are a lot of people like this. For me I'd rather light the stove than pay the propane man. My neighbor has 25 acres of wood and a OWB which I rarely see going and had a bucket on it until December. I dont get it. I'd heat with only wood if I could.

Why do I need to heat when it 62°F outside? I'm not joking when I say it's been a mild winter. If anything, mild is an understatement.... there's barely been a winter at all. This time last year it was like 14° outside during the day, today we had thunderstorms, and 2 miles from where I work we had a tornado touch down.... the perennials are already starting to sprout. This sh!t is unreal, man...

https://www.wusa9.com/article/news/...mages/65-fe664680-3de6-48a9-9932-061f8e8a0a7b

I'll have a lot of wood still stacked in the basement if it stays like this was wearing a t shirt yesterday boiling down maple sap. 62° at 11 am this is stupid. Last year I was digging out the cargo trailer to go to Daytona around this time. Not going this year figure it will be in the 70s soon enough here

Mid 50's - 60's this week and only low to mid 40's at night, only burning pine at this point. Fire in the morning is it until the sun gets on this old stone house and heats us for free. I probably won't even burn 8 cord this year. Daffodils and Crocus are already up, hear the peepers in the marsh every night when I walk the dogs. Got the weedeater all ready last weekend, holding off on putting the mower on the tractor though.

Back