Where do you draw the line?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Seems like most guys fall in love with their saws.. even if they pick them up way used and just do a quick fix.. i have wanted to buy a decent mid sized stihl or husky and it seems like the saw looks like it was dragged under a pickup truck 500 miles on a gravel road... and they want 50 percent of a new saw... or its in good shape or has some new parts in it and now they want 75 percent of a brand new saw.. that just makes no sense to me... no history and no warranty and saving 140 or 170 dollars off buying a brand new saw with new bar and chain and warranty... and thats an older pro saw.. a stihl consumer saw used for 175 or new for 300 dollars ?? Whats the point ?

My best find to date is my 046mag that i paid 40$ for. Took me 14 years to find a deal that good. Used saw market is super tough in the southeast. All it needed was a piston but i gave her a complete rebuild. I went and got it at 11pm at night lol.

I have a friend who picks up the local Sthil dealer's throwaways-- that includes any size saw that is or not worth fixing vs selling the customer a new one. I told my friend that I wanted any saw over 60cc's, but I can't get much cooperation from him. He is 82 years old and all he wants to do is take them apart and get pennies for the metal. I did manage to get a few big ones from him (for free) that I have fixed, but if I'm not there at the right time they go for scrap. To give you an idea of how many saws he has destroyed he has 2 five gallon buckets filled to the brim with just chainsaw chains. Why he saves those I don't know.

I have a friend who picks up the local Sthil dealer's throwaways-- that includes any size saw that is or not worth fixing vs selling the customer a new one. I told my friend that I wanted any saw over 60cc's, but I can't get much cooperation from him. He is 82 years old and all he wants to do is take them apart and get pennies for the metal. I did manage to get a few big ones from him (for free) that I have fixed, but if I'm not there at the right time they go for scrap. To give you an idea of how many saws he has destroyed he has 2 five gallon buckets filled to the brim with just chainsaw chains. Why he saves those I don't know.
wtf just tell him that you will give 5$ for every saw he gets

I do not really buy saws with reselling in mind but I always want to make sure that the saw plus all needed parts will be less than the low end of the price range for that model in that condition.

wtf just tell him that you will give 5$ for every saw he gets
You can't change his habits. He LIKES to take them apart and scrap them. I tell him i.e. the only thing wrong is they were run with straight gas and just need top end work and he could sell the Sthils for $3-400 apiece and he says "I don't do that", so I tell him I can do it and split profits but he forgets. He doesn't need the money, he just likes to scrap.

Ask him if he can p
You can't change his habits. He LIKES to take them apart and scrap them. I tell him i.e. the only thing wrong is they were run with straight gas and just need top end work and he could sell the Sthils for $3-400 apiece and he says "I don't do that", so I tell him I can do it and split profits but he forgets. He doesn't need the money, he just likes to scrap.
wow ask him if he can separate each saw into a box after he takes it apart then you could buy the parts

I'd be getting to know the guys at the dealership so when your friend quits scrapping these perfectly good saws, you can start getting them. Very much a travesty of what he is doing though.

I'd be getting to know the guys at the dealership so when your friend quits scrapping these perfectly good saws, you can start getting them. Very much a travesty of what he is doing though.

The good news is that he has promised to introduce me to the dealer when he decides to quit. They have been friends for years and he has done a lot of favors for the dealer-- he not only takes his saws, but keeps the back clean and hauls out any debris or other non-running tools.

The good news is that he has promised to introduce me to the dealer when he decides to quit. They have been friends for years and he has done a lot of favors for the dealer-- he not only takes his saws, but keeps the back clean and hauls out any debris or other non-running tools.
Good deal.

In reality the dealer probably likes the fact that he knows the saws will not return the the market which could reduce his sales.

My problem is i will give a little to much, just because I think I can fix it. Whether or not I need it is irrelevant!

Back