Bringing saws back to life

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Welderman85

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I have a few cheaper model saws that have been sitting for a long time. I would like to bring them back to life. What's steps should I take to get them running again. Thank you

What I do it first to see if all parts are there. There is no point in adding $40 in parts to a saw only worth $50 in the open market.

If everything is there. Take off the started assembly. Get the socket adapter to run in a drill that will fit the flywheel nut. This basically gives you electric start. Then Take off the air cleaner and pour some gas down the carb. Couple table spoons. Start cranking. It may take a minute but if you don’t get a puff of smoke or a pop of ignition, check for spark. No spark then stop and see rule one. Consider what the same running saw is worth. No difference with cars or boats....

First thing I do is see if everything appears to be there. Then see if it will pull over, then check for spark, then compression. If it appears to be a saw with possibilities then I move on to the carb, seals, fuel lines, oiler in more or less that order. If it's not going to run on it's own, eg- the piston is toast or the ignition is non-functioning, then I start looking for parts saws.

There comes a point where a cheap saw becomes an expensive saw. You have to watch that unless it has some special value to you, in which case your wallet dictates how far you go.

I have noticed very few saws are ever wore out.
They usually get used and tossed in the barn or garage with untreated fuel and that's the reason they don't run when you get them out two years later. Our Chinese friends made carbs cheap again. Usually all it is.

As has been said, as long as it’s complete, drop a small amount of fuel mix down the carb and pull start it. If it fires, at least you know it’ll run. If it does, check the fuel line, toss a little gas in the tank and see if it’ll stay running. Best judgement from there, if it’s worth pursuing further...
YMMV.
Good luck

I first try to figure out what’s wrong with it? Old gas, clean carb? Is it getting fuel? Fuel filter clean? Fuel hose rotted?

Buying a $50/$100 saw to repair doesn’t always workout. The deeper I dig into it the more I see to replace. If your looking to fix and sell it depends on how good you fix it.

Then Take off the air cleaner and pour some gas down the carb. Couple table spoons.

Isn't that a little much for a chainsaw? I would think it might cause flooding and possibly hydrolock. I could see it on a car engine. I would think about half or maybe one teaspoon would be plenty to get a few pops.

Isn't that a little much for a chainsaw? I would think it might cause flooding and possibly hydrolock. I could see it on a car engine. I would think about half or maybe one teaspoon would be plenty to get a few pops.

A childs medicine syringe works great..just squirt couple ml's.

And lol about 2 tablespoons also

Agreed, although it also depends on the size of the engine.

I like the little squirt bottles from horror freight, $3 for three of them. Give it a shot down the plug hole and see if she'll give you signs of life (assuming there's spark). Yes, you could go down the carb throat, but I like the direct method better for test fires, and it gets lube to the cylinder quicker.

If you're going to test for spark or spin it with a drill before you put gas in it - please shoot some WD40 or some sort of lubricant in there.

If it fires, you're on your way. 99% of the time, if the saw was running before, it'll run again just fine as long as the carb is good. Check the fuel line(s), gas it up, see what happens (give it another shot down the plug hole or carb throat to make for less pulling). More than likely you'll need to run through the carb and replace at a minimum the diaphragm, because they usually get stiff after sitting, especially with ethanol gas. Get a decent rebuild kit; walbro, stens, hipa... The "too good to be true" priced kits are crap, and either won't work, or will work for a day and then harden up.

Before you order parts: peak in the exhaust and intake and look for scoring. It may pop or try to run with gas shot in it, but if she's scored up, you may want to re-think putting money into it. That said, I've revived some cheap-ish plastic saws that were straight gassed with used short blocks (or parts saws) off ebay. Parts are usually cheap if it's something popular, like a wild thing. Sometimes waiting for the right part at the right price is the hardest part! It took like 6 months before a used piston/cyl showed up on ebay at a reasonable price for a homelite I resurrected.

I have a bunch I've gotten running again for fun, mostly poulan and homelite. Sometimes I make money, sometimes I break even. I don't care, as long as I get the 'lil fellas back out there in the wild! I've definitely put more into saws than they're worth if I'm keeping them - I could probably get two 10-10's for what I put in to the one I built for my brother-in-law (bought as a parts saw), but it showed the will to live, so I brought it back. Turned out to be a great saw, almost didn't want to give it to him!

I think it would be pretty hard to hydrolock a 2 stroke given the presence of cylinder ports, I've always just poured some gas into the sparkplug hole or carb, pull it slow a couple times to get some fuel in the crankcase too, and try it. I've never had one hydrolock from pouring in gas.

Impossible to hydrolock a two stroke. No valves.
I have sunk two stroke ATVs. Flip them over drain the water out of the cylinder and they fire up again ride it the rest of the day.
Two strokes are tough.

Tear apart the carb, clean everything as best you can and then try to tune it.

If you can get it running decent, then see if it’s worth it to replace any parts.

I’d drain the gas, use some good, non-ethanol gas, change the plug, clean the air filter and then see how it does.

If it’s a cheap saw, then that’s about all it warrants. If you’re really going to spend time and money, why waste it on a Ryobi or a Wild Thing?

Impossible to hydrolock a two stroke. No valves.
I have sunk two stroke ATVs. Flip them over drain the water out of the cylinder and they fire up again ride it the rest of the day.
Two strokes are tough.

Run a 2 stroke full throttle and put your hose pipe down the carb.

I have a few cheaper model saws that have been sitting for a long time. I would like to bring them back to life. What's steps should I take to get them running again. Thank you
First before you do anything make sure parts are available. If they are name brands more than likely, if they are old or off brands there’s a good chance you won’t be able to find parts for them.

I use the 3 pack of syringes from Ace hardware. They are skinny and long. I put a bit too much in my Super 68 and it blew raw gas out the muffler for 8-10 pulls, then 5-6 puffs of smoke, then it fired. Primed a couple more times and it started up and ran well. now I think I'm going to add a new shelf just for Old Poulans.
XGX5TJQ.jpg

Back